Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting join on a file with multiple lines, fields Post 302267808 by crimper on Sunday 14th of December 2008 12:51:21 AM
Old 12-14-2008
join on a file with multiple lines, fields

I've looked at the join command which is able to perform what I need on two rows with a common field, however if I have more than two rows I need to join all of them.

Thus I have one file with multiple rows to be joined on an index number:

Code:
1 randomtext1
2 rtext2
2 rtext3
3 rtext4
3 rtext5
3 rtext6

I need this:
Code:
1 randomtext1
2 rtext2 rtext3
3 rtext4 rtext5 rtext6

where the repeated index number may have an arbitrary number of rtext's to be pivoted to columns for that index number. The number suffixes on rtext are only there for clarity.

I've considered using uniq to extracting the repeated text and using the results from that to remove that specific line in awk, then just reiterate this process in a script and use 'join', but I'm convinced there is a complete, easier solution.

updates: I have progressed to a solution with gawk... now I am having a problem with losing the order of rows as columns.
Code:
BEGIN {
FS=" ";
maxFLD=2;

getline var_tempnew
split(var_tempnew, array_temp, " ")
}
{

if ($1 == array_temp[1]){

do
	{
	$0 = $0 " " array_temp[2]
	getline var_tempnew
	} while ($1 == array_temp[1]) 
	print $0

} else {
    print var_tempnew
	var_tempnew = $0
}
}
END {
print var_tempnew
}

Last edited by crimper; 12-14-2008 at 04:20 AM.. Reason: progress updates

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

join on multiple fields

Is it possible to do a join on multiple fields of two files? I am trying to do something like join -t, -1 2,3 -2 2,3 -o 2.1,2.2,2.3,1.3 filea fileb I want the join to be on columns 2 and 3 of filea and columns 2 and 3 of fileb. What is hapenning is that the second file that I want to do the join... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reggiej
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Join multiple lines

Hi, I have data with broken lines: Sample data: "12"|"25"|"a"|"b"|"c"|"d"|"e"|"f"|"2453748"|"08:10:50" "16"|"25"|"a"|"b"|"c"|"d"|"e"|"f"|" 2453748"|"08:15:50" "16"|"25"|"a"|"b"|" c"|"d"|"e"|"f"|"2453748"|"08:19:50" "16"|"25"|"a"|"b"|"c"|"d"|"e"|"f"|"2453748"|"08:19:50" In the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmansilentass
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use SED to join multiple lines?

Hi guys, anyone know how can i join multiples lines using sed till the end of a file and output to another file in a single line? The end of each line will be replaced with a special char "#". I am using the below SED command, however it seems to remove the last 2 lines. Also not all lines... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with Join on multiple fields

Hi, I need help with the join command I have 2 files that I want to join on multiple fields. I want to return all records from file 1 I also want empty fields in my joined file if there isn't a match in file 2 I have already sorted them so I know they are in the same order. file1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter0810
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join fields from files with duplicate lines

I have two files, file1.txt: 1 abc 2 def 2 dgh 3 ijk 4 lmn file2.txt 1 opq 2 rst 3 uvw My desired output is: 1 abc opq 2 def rst 2 dgh rst 3 ijk uvw (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xan.amini
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join multiple lines

Hi I have a source file ( written i C ) where a funtion call is spread over multiple lines, for example : func( a, b, c ); I want this to be joined into one single line : func(a,b,c); How can this be done with awk and sed ? Regards. Hench (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hench
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join common patterns in multiple lines into one line

Hi I have a file like 1 2 1 2 3 1 5 6 11 12 10 2 7 5 17 12 I would like to have an output as 1 2 3 5 6 10 7 11 12 17 any help would be highly appreciated Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harrisham
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join fields in a same file based on condition

I have an input file like this... All iI want to do is If the lines are identical except for the last field i want to merge them into single line input_file I feel something is nothing I feel something is everything apple mango banana apple mango grapes I want to get output like this:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj_k
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join files on multiple fields

Hello all, I want to join 2 tabbed files on the first 2 fields, and filling the missing values with 0. The 3rd column in each file is constant for the entire file. file1 12658699 ST5 XX2720 0 1 0 1 53039541 ST5 XX2720 1 0 1.5 1 file2 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheetalk
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join multiple lines from text file

Hi Guys, Could you please advise how to join multiple details lines into single row, with HEADER 1 as the record separator and comma(,) as the field separator. Input: HEADER 1, HEADER 2, HEADER 3, 11,22,33, COLUMN1,COLUMN2,COLUMN3, AA1, BB1, CC1, END: ABC HEADER 1, HEADER 2,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: budz26
3 Replies
Tk_GetJoinStyle(3)					       Tk Library Procedures						Tk_GetJoinStyle(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tk_GetJoinStyle, Tk_NameOfJoinStyle - translate between strings and join styles SYNOPSIS
#include <tk.h> int Tk_GetJoinStyle(interp, string, joinPtr) const char * Tk_NameOfJoinStyle(join) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter to use for error reporting. const char *string (in) String containing name of join style: one of "bevel", "miter", or "round". int *joinPtr (out) Pointer to location in which to store X join style corresponding to string. int join (in) Join style: one of JoinBevel, JoinMiter, JoinRound. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tk_GetJoinStyle places in *joinPtr the X join style corresponding to string, which will be one of JoinBevel, JoinMiter, or JoinRound. Join styles are typically used in X graphics contexts to indicate how adjacent line segments should be joined together. See the X documentation for information on what each style implies. Under normal circumstances the return value is TCL_OK and interp is unused. If string does not contain a valid join style or an abbrevia- tion of one of these names, then an error message is stored in interp->result, TCL_ERROR is returned, and *joinPtr is unmodified. Tk_NameOfJoinStyle is the logical inverse of Tk_GetJoinStyle. Given a join style such as JoinBevel it returns a statically-allocated string corresponding to join. If join is not a legal join style, then "unknown join style" is returned. KEYWORDS
bevel, join style, miter, round Tk Tk_GetJoinStyle(3)