Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: New OS for IBM server
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New OS for IBM server Post 302267781 by W.A.C on Saturday 13th of December 2008 08:36:30 PM
Old 12-13-2008
New OS for IBM server

I was recently given an older 1998 RS/6000 IBM machine supposedly called a Shark and once used by either an internet dial up or hosting company from what I understand. Regardless, in talking to the wife of the previous owner who died, and from what I understand, it hasn't been cleared of original company data. Eventually I want to turn it into a web server for my video company after using it as a training tool to learn Unix/Linux and administration. Since I don't have a dumb terminal to access the computer, which is probably password protected anyways, I'm thinking I"ll probably have to go ahead and and move to another version of an OS and am thinking about Fedora possibly, but only because of what I read. I believe, and this is an assumption that the OS is AIX on the PowerPC platform. Is there going to be an OS better tuned to my needs then others?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Sco 5.0.7 on ibm server, no floppy drive.

I cannot install sco on this particular ibm server because sco cannot find the raid controller and thefore the logical drive. I have a floppy disk that I use in other machines when boot: shows on the screen. I usually type restart link=ad320 and it works but this time i have no floppy drive. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iNetForce
1 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to install IBM db2 database server in cygwin ??

Hi folks, I am looking for a clue to install db2 in cygwin.....kindly help.;) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
0 Replies

3. AIX

IBM AIX on IBM Eseries & x series server

Hi, I want to know whether IBM AIX can be installed on the IBM e series and x series server hardware? Thanks & Regards Arun (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
2 Replies

4. AIX

Differences in IBM p server

Hi, What is the major differences between ibm p5 p6 and p7 processor. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnybee
3 Replies

5. AIX

How to Login Bios Server IBM p series?

Hii guys, I have IBM server power series, how to login BIOS at server IBM Power7 750, 730, 720, 520 and 550 ? and if I will new Install AIX, How I config " First Boot DVD" ?? I use command " # mount -V cdrfs -o ro /dev/cd0 /mnt " ( not work after reboot system). I need your help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: williamen
2 Replies
dialups(4)							   File Formats 							dialups(4)

NAME
dialups - list of terminal devices requiring a dial-up password SYNOPSIS
/etc/dialups DESCRIPTION
dialups is an ASCII file which contains a list of terminal devices that require a dial-up password. A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct password must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. The set of ports that require a dial-up password are listed in the dialups file. Each entry in the dialups file is a single line of the form: terminal-device where terminal-device The full path name of the terminal device that will require a dial-up password for users accessing the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The dialups file should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample dialups file. Here is a sample dialups file: /dev/term/a /dev/term/b /dev/term/c FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords SEE ALSO
d_passwd(4) SunOS 5.10 4 May 1994 dialups(4)