Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: exact string match in a word
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers exact string match in a word Post 302267734 by vidyadhar85 on Saturday 13th of December 2008 05:13:04 PM
Old 12-13-2008
this will give you the count of hello in a line
Code:
echo 'hellolaylahello' |awk '{ total += gsub("hello","")}END { print total }'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I search a File for a string exact match

Hi, Can you help please. I have the following comand: if ]; then l_valid_string="Y" fi The problem I am trying to solve is that my l_string = ABC and my file contains ABC ABC_EFG I only want back the value ABC exact match. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAGIRL
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for exact match in a string ??

Hi I have a string of the form XY_X1998.10.500. I want to check in a script that the middle part is always 10. How to achieve this? e.g the input can be XY_X1998.20.500 OR XY_X1998.50.500 OR XY_X1998.10.500. I have to print Yes everytime the middle value is 10 and NO when the middle... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exact Word Match

I'm trying to find a exact word match but couldn't do it. ABC ABC_NE Searching for ABC_NE tried grep -w </ABC_NE/> grep "^ABC_NE$" but didn't worked , any awk variants would also help. ---------- Post updated at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:48 AM ---------- I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to match only exact string only in all occurences

Dear Friends, Anybody knows how to match exact lines only in multilinear. Input file: apple orange orange apple apple orange Desired output: fruit orange apple fruit i used the command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match a exact word in a variable ????

Hi All, Str="online maintenance" if then perform some action I know the above comparison is wrong ..... Actually I am very new to this solaris.. I want to check for online in a variable and perform some action based on that How can I do it? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

exact string match ; search and print match

I am trying to match a pattern exactly in a shell script. I have tried two methods awk '/\<mpath${CURR_MP}\>/{print $1 $2}' multipath perl -ne '/\bmpath${CURR_MP}\b/ and print' /var/tmp/multipath Both these methods require that I use the escape character. I am guessing that is why... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding exact match string

Hi All, I'm writing unix script, it should find exact matching in search string. Looks simple but when i started i'm stuck to find the exact match character string. The unix script reads the records from DB Table. The table will have values something likes these Feed : A Feed File name :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckybalaji
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep the exact string / word ?

Hi All, I have a text / log file which contains strings like meta777, 77, meta, 777. Now I want to write a script which can detect a string 'meta#777' in a text file & number of occurence of 'meta', number of #, number 7, 77, 777. I'm using grep -e '77' filename but no luck. It is returning... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adc22
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the exact match of the string!

Hi All, I am breaking my head in trying to get a command that will exactly match my given string. I have searched net and found few of the options - grep -F $string file grep -x $string file grep "^${string}$" file awk '/"${string}"/ {print $0}' file strangely nothing seems to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help match the exact string

I just want to match "binutils1_test" only, and print the match line only lyang001@lyang001-OptiPlex-9010:/tmp$ cat file zbinutils1_test bbinutils1_test binutils1_test w-binutils1_test lyang001@lyang001-OptiPlex-9010:/tmp$ cat file |grep -w 'binutils1_test' ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
7 Replies
UDM_FIND(3)								 1							       UDM_FIND(3)

udm_find - Perform search

SYNOPSIS
resource udm_find (resource $agent, string $query) DESCRIPTION
Performs a search. The search itself. The first argument - session, the next one - query itself. To find something just type words you want to find and press SUBMIT button. For example, "mysql odbc". You should not use quotes " in query, they are written here only to divide a query from other text. mnoGoSearch will find all documents that contain word "mysql" and/or word "odbc". Best documents having bigger weights will be dis- played first. If you use search mode ALL, search will return documents that contain both (or more) words you entered. In case you use mode ANY, the search will return list of documents that contain any of the words you entered. If you want more advanced results you may use query language. You should select "bool" match mode in the search from. PARAMETERS
o $agent - A link to Agent, received after call to udm_alloc_agent(3). o $query - mnoGoSearch understands the following boolean operators: & - logical AND. For example, "mysql & odbc". mnoGoSearch will find any URLs that contain both "mysql" and "odbc". | - logical OR. For example "mysql|odbc". mnoGoSearch will find any URLs, that contain word "mysql" or word "odbc". ~ - logical NOT. For example "mysql & ~odbc". mnoGoSearch will find URLs that contain word "mysql" and do not contain word "odbc" at the same time. Note that ~ just excludes given word from results. Query "~odbc" will find nothing! () - group command to compose more complex queries. For example "(mysql | msql) & ~postgres". Query language is simple and powerful at the same time. Just consider query as usual boolean expression. RETURN VALUES
Returns a result link identifier on success or FALSE on failure. PHP Documentation Group UDM_FIND(3)