Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup Tapes Health checks
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Backup Tapes Health checks Post 302267711 by Perderabo on Saturday 13th of December 2008 01:43:16 PM
Old 12-13-2008
I restore the last file on the tape to check a tape. This verifies the health of the tape and the health of the file restoration program. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tapes

is there a command to check unoccupied space on a tape ? AIX 3.2 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tapes

:confused: Hello!! I am a new UNIX user, and I need to back up some files, I have some old ones and I have been trying to delete the old information with 'mt erase' but I don't be sure if it works, and 'mt resert' but the it gave a message suggesting me to use 'scsiha -r' (but the last one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scs
1 Replies

3. SCO

New backup tapes do not work

We are using Lone-tar to back up an old SCO UNIX System V/386 3.2. It was working fine until I inserted new data cartridges. I bought the exact same ones that I was using: HP DDS-1 Data Cartridge Compressed Capacity: 4GB Order number- C5706A If I insert a new tape and backup (done by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariepul
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

health checks

Hello Anyone please help me with a health check script on HP-UX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahlathini
1 Replies

5. Solaris

vxdump with more tapes

Hi Community, I've a V440 Sun Server with 2 device tape of 72GB. I have to backup a folder of 80 GB, so I have to use 2 tapes of 72GB (144 GB); If I use vxdump command which are the options that I have to use? When the first tape finishes does the system stop the backup? Please help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Erasing backup tapes (DLT)

I have a load of DLT tapes I need to scrub and get rid off. Anyone know of any application to erase the tapes before recycling them? I have a Sun StorEdge L9 tape loader which I would like to utilise, so a script or application that can take advantage of doing a load of tapes without manual... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: son_t
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

8. Solaris

HELP ME! Mounting tapes parallel backup SL500 on solaris 10

Dear Experts, I would like to perform parallel backup using SL500, but i have problem with mounting tape. Please share your thought/experience how to mounting tape on SL500 with parallel backup (2 tapes). Thanks in Advance. Edy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Unable to detect HP backup tapes in RHEL 6.2

Hi All, We connected 2 new tape drives to the servers. I am not able to see both HP tape drives in OS level. I am using RHEL 6.2 OS. I have scanned and rebooted the server but still can't able to find the drives. Thanks in advance..!!!! ---------- Post updated 10-22-13 at 05:07 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Navkreddy
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Server health Checks pre & post Rebooting

Hi, Earlier we used to reboot servers based on adhoc request, never checked anything on it pre-reboot., But now i need to reboot regularly but most of the info is not available, I need to know want to make sure that server to be rebooted without any issues, so I want to do few prechecks which will... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanz143
5 Replies
BTAPE(8)					     Network backup, recovery and verification						  BTAPE(8)

NAME
btape - Bacula's Tape interface test program SYNOPSIS
btape [options] device-name DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the btape command. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -? Show summary of options and commands. -b bootstrap Specify a bootstrap file. -c config Specify configuration file. -d nn Set debug level to nn. -p Proceed inspite of I/O errors. -t Open the default tape device. -s No signals (for debugging). -v Set verbose mode. COMMANDS
autochanger test autochanger bsf backspace file bsr backspace record cap list device capabilities clear clear tape errors eod go to end of Bacula data for append eom go to the physical end of medium fill fill tape, write onto second volume unfill read filled tape fsf forward space a file fsr forward space a record help print this reference label write a Bacula label to the tape load load a tape quit quit btape rawfill use write() to fill tape readlabel read and print the Bacula tape label rectest test record handling functions rewind rewind the tape scan read() tape block by block to EOT and report scanblocks Bacula read block by block to EOT and report status print tape status test General test Bacula tape functions weof write an EOF on the tape wr write a single Bacula block rr read a single record rb read a single bacula block qfill quick fill command SEE ALSO
bscan(1), bextract(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jose Luis Tallon <jltallon@adv-solutions.net>. Kern Sibbald 26 November 2009 BTAPE(8)