Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to change permissions only to files, not directories....? Post 302267640 by avi.skynet on Saturday 13th of December 2008 02:55:17 AM
Old 12-13-2008
Yes i understood your problem ..
ill tell you the simple command to solve your problem
1> To delete only the specified files in a perticular directory and subdirectory use the below command
find <dir_path> -name <search_format> -delete
ex:
find /home/avi/examples/ -name "*.html" -delete
----
to just print all required files
find /home/avi/example/ -name "*.html" -print
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2>To change the mode for each file type which you want
for eachFile in `find /home/avi/examples/ -name "*.sh" -print`
do
chmod 700 $eachFile
done

### ateya i thing all your problems solved... Smilie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards:Avinash... A Real Angry Man

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change default permissions on new files

Hello, I would like to know if there was any way I can change the default permissions for new files being generated within a certain directory. Would I need to have the same permissions set at the directory level as for the files being generated in it. Regards, Rdgblues (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdgblues
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in changing Permissions to 775 for files and directories

Hi All I need to create a script which would change Permissions to 775 All the Files and directories will be mentioned in the Paramter files Can anyone give a Hint how to proceed in this ?? THanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranga27
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change the access permissions of the files

Hi, I want to change the access permissions of the files whose extension is same.For example *.c but these are inside a directory and inside that other directory is there and it contains the .c files..for example-- So my aim is to search the files under src and change the access permissions... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

5. Linux

Default user:group permissions while creating files and directories

Hi, I am working on setup a environment where only a specific user can upload the builds on htdocs of apache. Now i want that a specific user can copy the builds on htdocs folder. I created a group "deploy" and assign user1 and user2 to this group. On Apache side i mentioned User=deploy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find only files/directories with different permissions/owners

My git post-update has the following lines in it to make sure the permissions are set right: find /usr/local/apache/htdocs -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 755 find /usr/local/apache/htdocs -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 644 chown -R apache:apache /usr/local/apache/htdocsThe only problem is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to change Permissions on files and directories

Hey, It's me again. Have a problem, that's not really a problem. I have the below script, that goes to the directory I want it to go to. lists out the directories available, lets you choose the directory you want, then it changes the permissions on said directory. using chmod -R and chown -R. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkelly1117
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Change permissions for files

Hi! I have a dir in a server, that receives files with the wrong permissions, so I decide to put on a cron entry that changes its permitions, but because of the time gap, not all of them get changed. What I did was the following: ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
14 Replies

9. AIX

Permissions on directories and files

Hello, I have a main directory called /test123 /test123 has lot of sub-directories and files. drwxr-x--- 21 root system 4096 Jan 25 10:20 /test123 Here, "other" does not have any access to /test123 folder. How can we provide read-only access to others on /test123... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aaron8667
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Command to change add permissions for a new user to all files in all subfolders and folders

Hi there! I'm new to Unix and haven't done command line stuff since MS-Dos and Turbo Pascal (hah!), I would love some help figuring out this basic command (what I assume is basic). I'd like to add a User to the permissions of all files in a folder and all files in all subfolders, as well... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Janjbrt
9 Replies
avisplit(1)						      General Commands Manual						       avisplit(1)

NAME
avisplit - split AVI-files into chunks of a maximum size SYNOPSIS
avisplit [ -i file -o base [ -s size ] [ -H num ] [ -t s1-s2[,s3-s4,..] -c -m -b num -f commentfile ] ] [ -v ] COPYRIGHT
avisplit is Copyright (C) by Thomas Oestreich. DESCRIPTION
avisplit splits a single AVI-file into chunks of size size. Each of the created chunks will be an independent file, i.e. it can be played without needing any other of the chunk. OPTIONS
-i file Specify the filename of the file to split into chunks. -o base Specify the base of the output filename(s) avisplit will then split to base-%04d.avi -s size Use this option to specify the maximum size (in units of MB) of the chunks avisplit should create. 0 means dechunk, create as many files as possible. -H num Create only the first num chunks then exit. -t s1-s2[,s3-s4,..] Split the input file based on time/framecode (hh:mm:ss.ms) -c Together with -t. Merge all segments into one AVI-File again instead generating seperate files. -m Together with -t. Force split at upper bondary instead of lower border. -b num Specify if avisplit should write an VBR mp3 header into the AVI file. Default is 1 because it does not hurt. num is either 1 or 0. -f commentfile Read AVI tombstone data for header comments from commentfile. See /docs/avi_comments.txt for a sample. -v Print only version information and exit. EXAMPLES
The command avisplit -s 700 -i my_file.avi will split the file my_file.avi into chunks which's maximum size will not exceed 700 MB, i.e. they will fit onto a CD, each. The created chunks will be named my_file.avi-0000, my_file.avi-0001, etc. avisplit -i my_file.avi -c -o out.avi -t 00:10:00-00:11:00,00:13:00-00:14:00 will grab Minutes 10 to 11 and 13 to 14 from my_file.avi and merge it into out.avi BAD SYNCH
When you split a file with avisplit and the A/V sync for the first file is OK but the sync on all successive files is bad then have a look at the output of tcprobe(1) (shortend). | V: 25.000 fps, codec=dvsd, frames=250, width=720, height=576 | A: 48000 Hz, format=0x01, bits=16, channels=2, bitrate=1536 kbps, | 10 chunks, 1920000 bytes You'll see the AVI file has only 10 Audio chunks but 250 video chunks. That means one audio chunk spans several video frames. avisplit can not cut a chunk in half, it only handles complete chunks. If you do, say, avisplit -s 20, it is possible that the first file will have 6 audio chunks and the second one only 4 meaning there is too much audio in the first AVI file. The solution is to remux the AVI file with transcode -i in.avi -P1 -N 0x1 -y raw -o out.avi (of course -N 0x1 is not correct for all AVI files). Now look at tcprobe again | V: 25.000 fps, codec=dvsd, frames=250, width=720, height=576 | A: 48000 Hz, format=0x01, bits=16, channels=2, bitrate=1536 kbps, | 250 chunks, 1920000 bytes The data in this file is exactly the same (its bit-identical) as it was in in.avi; the AVI file was just written in a different way, we do now have 250 audio chunks which makes splitting much easier and more accurate for avisplit. AUTHORS
avisplit was written by Thomas Oestreich <ostreich@theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de> with contributions from many others. See AUTHORS for details. SEE ALSO
aviindex(1), avifix(1), avimerge(1), tccat(1), tcdecode(1), tcdemux(1), tcextract(1), tcprobe(1), tcscan(1), transcode(1) avisplit(1) 25th June 2003 avisplit(1)