Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat finding no of core in processor Post 302267498 by otheus on Friday 12th of December 2008 01:30:36 PM
Old 12-12-2008
No command per se. As Jimbalaya said, you can inspect /proc/cpuinfo to see if it reports the number of cores. In fact, the format is separated into sections -- each describing a CPU (a core counts as a CPU; there may be many CPUs per "chip"). So you want to count the sections to find how many cores there are.

Therefore the command that will work best is:
Code:
grep -ic ^processor /proc/cpuinfo

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding out processor speeds for a sparc

i recently purchased a dual ross sparc processor kit from someone. the person listed these items as 133mhz processors, however, looking at bridgepoint's site, they do not make 133mhz processors. so i was wondering, how can i check the processor speeds? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
4 Replies

2. AIX

LPAR processor/virtual processor settings

Question is on setting of Physical and Virtual processors for LPARs to make proper use of virtualization capabilities. Environment is a 8-way p570 with 4 LPARs. lparVIO1 and lparVIO2: AIX 5300-04-01 Mode/Type= Shared-SMT/Capped Minimum Processors= 0.10 Desired Processors= 0.50 Maximum... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guttew
1 Replies

3. Linux

linux for dual core processor

hi all I bought a new MSI motherboard and intel dual core processor . i have currently installed fedora core 3 for which audio is not detected . can u tell me which version of fedora core will support as i have tried with fedora core 6 which gets installed but gives a error while... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nageshrk
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between Dual-core & Core-to-duo

Can anybody tell What is the exact difference between a Dual-core processor and a Core-to-duo processor ?Advance thanks to all my friends. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ajith kumar.G
1 Replies

5. AIX

Processor and processor core

Guys... Hows it going??? I have been going through the hardware spec of IBM system p systems.. and here i am confused for IBM Power 520 Express it says Processor cores: One, two or four 64-bit 4.2 GHz POWER6 with AltiVec™ SIMD and Hardware Decimal Floating-Point acceleration ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
1 Replies

6. Linux

finding core information in redhat Linux

Hi, I want to know how to find out no of cores in linux. I have given the command more /proc/cpuinfo NOw I want to know what is diffrence between cpu cores and core id? How to find out exact no of cores? Regards, Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

7. Linux Benchmarks

AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor, Ram: 3.6 GB, Foxconn 7da-s and Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64

CPU/Speed: AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor Ram: 3.6 GB Motherboard: Foxconn 7da-s Bus: Cache: Controller: Disk: Load: Kernel: Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64 Kernel ELF?: pgms: ============================================================== BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: migracho
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

how can i know this processor quad or dual core ?

hi every body i want to know if i have server with hp-ux os if i did "machinfo" i will see no of cpu = for example 16 how can i know this is dual or quad core . thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
2 Replies
pset_assign(2)							System Calls Manual						    pset_assign(2)

NAME
pset_assign() - change processor set assignment SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The function assigns the processor spu to the processor set pset, removing the processor spu from its current processor set. A processor may not belong to more than one processor set at any given time. If opset is not it contains the processor set ID of the previously assigned processor set upon successful operation. A user with the privilege or a user with WRITE permissions on the processor sets may change the processor set assignment for a processor using the function. A user without the privilege must have WRITE permissions in both processor sets to make the processor reassignment, unless the target processor set is the system default processor set. That is, only a user with the privilege may move a processor out of the system default processor set. Currently, processor 0 cannot be reassigned to another processor set from the system default processor set. The system default processor set is never empty. If pset is or the processor spu is assigned to the system default processor set. If pset is the processor's assignment is not changed, but the current processor set ID of processor spu is returned in opset. Neither WRITE permission nor the privilege is needed for operation. If there are threads or processes with binding to the processor spu (in its old processor set), the binding of affected threads and pro- cesses is changed to another processor in that processor set. If spu is the last processor in the locality domain that contributes to its current processor set and there are threads or processes with binding to the locality domain, their binding is changed to another locality domain in the processor set. See mpctl(2) for binding to processors and locality domains. If spu is the last processor in its current processor set, the behavior of is dependent on the value of the attribute. The following attribute values are defined for this attribute: Assign the processor to the specified processor set, and migrate all threads and processes to the system default processor set, This is the default behavior. If the threads and processes being migrated to the system default processor set (pset) have binding to processor or locality domain, their binding is reassigned to another processor or locality domain in the system default processor set. Make the request fail if there are active threads and processes assigned to the processor set. Security Restrictions Some or all of the actions associated with this system call require the privilege. Processes owned by the superuser have this privilege. Processes owned by other users may have this privilege, depending on system configuration. See privileges(5) for more information about privileged access on systems that support fine-grained privileges. Note on Logical Processor and Hyper-Threading Feature On systems with the Hyper-Threading (HT) feature enabled at the firmware, each hyper-thread is represented as a logical processor (LCPU). For migration of a logical processor in a processor core may also migrate that logical processor's sibling logical processor, which belongs to the same physical processor core. Otherwise the resulting configuration would violate the processor set contract, which specifies that applications bound to a processor set have complete and exclusive control of all processor cores within that processor set. When a processor core is assigned to another pset, depending on the source and target processor sets' (see pset_setattr(2)) value, the num- ber of logical processors from that processor core may change. EXAMPLES
Reassign spu from its current processor set to new_pset, and retrieve the current processor set in old_pset. RETURN VALUE
returns zero on successful completion. Otherwise, -1 is returned and is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails if one or more of the following is true: The processor set currently assigned to the processor spu has active threads and processes, and the processor set attributes do not allow this operation. The memory location pointed to by opset is not writable by the user. The operation was interrupted. The processor spu or processor set pset is not valid. The spu is not enabled. The memory location pointed to by opset is and the operation is requested. The processor set functionality is not supported by the underlying HP-UX version. The user does not have necessary permissions to assign spu to pset. SEE ALSO
mpctl(2), pset_bind(2), pset_create(2), pset_ctl(2), pset_destroy(2), pset_getattr(2), pset_setattr(2), privgrp(4), privileges(5). pset_assign(2)