Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: extract based on pattern
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extract based on pattern Post 302267330 by yongitz on Friday 12th of December 2008 06:57:06 AM
Old 12-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijayant Kumar
I found the solution of my own question...
Code:
awk '/sasl_username=/ && /xyz.com/' maillog.txt

This line contains queue id in the 6th field. I am trying to have that value like
Code:
awk '/sasl_username=/ && /xyz.com/' maillog.txt | awk 'printf {$6}'

I know this is wrong technique. Can anybody let me know, btw I am searching this forum for my answer.

if you want to get the 6th field and using the SPACE as the delimeter..

Code:
awk '/sasl_username=/ && /xyz.com/ {print $6}' maillog.txt

from your example above that would give you
Code:
client=unknown[x.x.x.x],
sasl_method=LOGIN,

strange! Is that what you want?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern extract

Hi I have a pattern like : SYSTEM_NAME-232-S7-200810060949.LOG Here I need to extract system name and the timestamp and also the numeric number after "-S" i.e 7 here . I am not very sure of whether I should use sed / awk for this ?:confused: Thanks, Priya. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyam
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: Find start of pattern and extract text to end of line, including the pattern

This is my first post, please be nice. I have tried to google and read different tutorials. The task at hand is: Input file input.txt (example) abc123defhij-E-1234jslo 456ujs-W-abXjklp From this file the task is to grep the -E- and -W- strings that are unique and write a new file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestTomas
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a pattern between the xml tags based on a search pattern

Hi all, I am trying to extract the values ( text between the xml tags) based on the Order Number. here is the sample input <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <NJCustomer> <Header> <MessageIdentifier>Y504173382</MessageIdentifier> ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: oky
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find next line based on pattern, if it is similar pattern skip it

Hi, I am able to get next line if it is matching a particular pattern. But i need a way to skip if next line also matches same pattern.. For example: No Records No Records Records found got it Records found Now i want to find 'Records found' after 'No Records' pattern matches.. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagpa531
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting textfile based on pattern and name new file after pattern

Hi there, I am pretty new to those things, so I couldn't figure out how to solve this, and if it is actually that easy. just found that awk could help:(. so i have a textfile with strings and numbers (originally copy pasted from word, therefore some empty cells) in the following structure: SC... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: luja
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract date from files based on file pattern

I want to extract dates from the files and i have different types of files with pattern. I have list file with the patterns and want to date extract based on it in a sh script Files in the directory : file1_20160101.txt file2_20160101_abc.txt filexyz20160101.txt list file with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract file name based on the pattern

Hello All, I have multiple files in a hadoop /tmp/cloudera directory. Filename are as follows ABC_DATA_BAD5A_RO_F_20161104.CSV ABC_DATA_BAD6C_VR_F_20161202.CSV ABC_DATA_BAD7A_TR_F_20162104.CSV ABC_DATA_BAD2A_BR_F_20161803.CSV ABC_DATA_BAD3T_KT_F_20160106.CSV I just need filenames... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prajaktaraut
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract some characters from lines based on pattern

Hi All, i would like to get some help regarding extracting certain characters from a line grepped. blahblah{1:F01IRVTUS30XXXX0000000001}{2:I103IRVTDEF0XXXXN}{4:blah blahblah{1:F01IRVTUS30XXXX0000000001}{2:I103IRVTDEF0XXXXN}{4:blah... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract whole word preceding a specific character pattern with first occurence of the pattern

Hello. Here is a file contents : declare -Ax NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY=(="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" .................. ="§"Here is a pattern =I want to extract 'NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY' which is the whole word before the first occurrence of pattern '=' Is there a better solution than mine :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
MU-EXTRACT(1)						      General Commands Manual						     MU-EXTRACT(1)

NAME
mu_extract - display and save message parts (attachments), and open them with other tools. SYNOPSIS
mu extract [options] <file> mu extract [options] <file> <pattern> DESCRIPTION
mu extact is the mu sub-command for extracting MIME-parts (e.g., attachments) from mail messages. It works on message files, and does not require the message to be indexed in the database. For attachments, the file name used when saving it, is the name of the attachment in the message. If there is no such name, or when saving non-attachment MIME-parts, a name is derived from the message-id of the message. If you specify a pattern (a case-insensitive regular expression) as the second argument, all attachments with filenames matching that pat- tern will be extracted. The regular expressions are Perl-compatible (as per the PCRE-library). Without any options, mu extract simply outputs the list of leaf MIME-parts in the message. Only 'leaf' MIME-parts (including RFC822 attach- ments) are considered, multipart/* etc. are ignored. OPTIONS
-a, --save-attachments save all MIME-parts that look like attachments. --save-all save all non-multipart MIME-parts. --parts=<parts> only consider the following numbered parts (comma-separated list).The numbers for the parts can be seen from running mu extract without any options but only the message file. --target-dir=<dir> save the parts in the target directory rather than the current working directory. --overwrite overwrite existing files with the same name; by default overwriting is not allowed. --play Try to 'play' (open) the attachment with the default application for the particular file type. On MacOS, this uses the open program, on other platforms is uses xdg-open. You can choose a different program by setting the MU_PLAY_PROGRAM environment variable. EXAMPLES
To display information about all the MIME-parts in a message file: $ mu extract msgfile To extract MIME-part 3 and 4 from this message, overwriting existing files with the same name: $ mu extract --parts=3,4 --overwrite msgfile To extract all files ending in '.jpg' (case-insensitive): $ mu extract msgfile '.*.jpg' To extract an mp3-file, and play it in the the default mp3-playing application. $ mu extract --play msgfile 'whoopsididitagain.mp3' BUGS
Please report bugs if you find them: http://code.google.com/p/mu0/issues/list AUTHOR
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <djcb@djcbsoftware.nl> SEE ALSO
mu(1) User Manuals February 2012 MU-EXTRACT(1)