Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Descriptor
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Descriptor Post 302267293 by zaxxon on Friday 12th of December 2008 05:10:05 AM
Old 12-12-2008
It contains the file descriptors for that process.
Googling for it would have brought info easily using "linux proc fd".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor Help

What is a file descriptor in Unix?? How to find a file descriptor of a file in Unix?? Does it have anything to do with the Inode numbers?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Descriptor Table

Im working on writing a small operating system. I am currently working on implementing dup, dup2, pipe, and close and I need to implement some type of file descriptor table in my PCB. I was wondering if there is anyone who is familiar with linux/unix implementation of these tables who could... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashaman0
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a file descriptor

I am trying to right a function which uses a file descriptor to write to a log file. The problem is that the on the print statement the file descriptor is called bad. Now when I first open the file and print to it in the f_open function by passing the descriptor to f_print_log all works well,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotball
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Descriptor

Hello All, Im opening a file desciptor in perl and sending data using print CMD "$xyz". is there a limit to the length of the string that I can give to this CMD at a time. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rimser9
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

file descriptor KSH

Hello, How can i use file descriptor in a script to read 2 files at the same time and extract line 200 from file 1 and line 500 from file 2. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

file descriptor count

I am trying to write a script which will only show me the file descriptor count for a process/pid. My script will return me the count only not the whole output. For example, I would like my script to return the output 23 this case, not the whole output. Can anybody please help me how do I get... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with File Descriptor in a While loop

Hi, I am trying to read a file line-by-line in a while loop, and perform some tasks which involves non-interactive SSH to a remote server. The code looks something like this -- #!/usr/bin/ksh export myFile=/path/to/my/file.load while read line do do something ## Adding the SSH... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subu1987
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable File Descriptor

Greetings. I am happily using constructs like the following; I have set -x to show fine distinctions. $ exec 4> afile + exec + 4> afile $ print -u4 This is the first line in afileAs you can see from the -x expansion, the shell performed the exec command and redirected file descriptor to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpaskudniak
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting with file descriptor

hello, Someone can help me with redirectors? I am writing this script in bash enviroment on Fedora: exec 4<> /dev/tcp/10.10.11.30/5000 #open socket in input/output strings<&4 >file.txt & I send file descriptor 4 to string command to purge data stream from special char while come from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rattoeur
3 Replies
LSNS(8) 						       System Administration							   LSNS(8)

NAME
lsns - list namespaces SYNOPSIS
lsns [options] [namespace] DESCRIPTION
lsns lists information about all the currently accessible namespaces or about the given namespace. The namespace identifier is an inode number. The default output is subject to change. So whenever possible, you should avoid using default outputs in your scripts. Always explicitly define expected columns by using the --output option together with a columns list in environments where a stable output is required. Note that lsns reads information directly from the /proc filesystem and for non-root users it may return incomplete information. The cur- rent /proc filesystem may be unshared and affected by a PID namespace (see unshare --mount-proc for more details). lsns is not able to see persistent namespaces without processes where the namespace instance is held by a bind mount to /proc/pid/ns/type. OPTIONS
-J, --json Use JSON output format. -l, --list Use list output format. -n, --noheadings Do not print a header line. -o, --output list Specify which output columns to print. Use --help to get a list of all supported columns. The default list of columns may be extended if list is specified in the format +list (e.g. lsns -o +PATH). -p, --task pid Display only the namespaces held by the process with this pid. -r, --raw Use the raw output format. -t, --type type Display the specified type of namespaces only. The supported types are mnt, net, ipc, user, pid, uts and cgroup. This option may be given more than once. -u, --notruncate Do not truncate text in columns. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. AUTHORS
Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> SEE ALSO
nsenter(1), unshare(1), clone(2), namespaces(7) AVAILABILITY
The lsns command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux December 2015 LSNS(8)