Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Need help in storing command line argument argv[2] to a variable of int type Post 302267273 by jim mcnamara on Friday 12th of December 2008 04:16:26 AM
Old 12-12-2008
Code:
int iFilecount=0;
// later on in the code...
iFilecount=atoi(argv[2]);

P

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the command line argument in a variable

Hi, I am new to unix. Is their a way to pass the output of the line below to a variable var1. ls -1t | head -1. I am trying something like var1=ls -1t | head -1, but I get error. Situation is: I get file everyday through FTP in my unix box. I have to write a script that picks up first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

2. Programming

Help - Cast converts default int return type

What does the warning message 724 "Cast converts default int return type to." tell me. I am new to C. (used it some in college). We are migrating our c-code to 10.2.0.3.0. The programs compiled clean. However there were several warning messages that kick out. The most prominent warning is: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtgreen
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing result of a command in variable

For whatever reason I cant seem to fix my syntax to do the following. I want to run a grep and count how many instances come up and store that number in a variable but I keep erroring out. Here's my code in bash: number=grep blah file.txt | wc -l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eltinator
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing a command in a variable

how would i go about storing this command in a variable echo "$LINE" | awk -F"|" '{print $1"|"$2"|"$3"}' i have tried FOO = ${command up there} but receive the error FOO: not found aswell as a couple of other attempt but no luck (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nookie
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using ARGV, acepting text from command line

I want to be able to call in my file and make it do it's magic by basically giving it: FileNAME.pl searchTerm fileToSearch It runs, and gives me the answers I want, however, it gives me an error: Can't open GAATTC: No such file or directory at .//restriction_map_better.pl line 15... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: silkiechicken
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing o/p of a command to a variable

Hi, I have a ftp script there I want to store the o/p of the below command: sftp -b <batch file> user@password cat <batch file> get /remote/file/path/remote_file_name.csv*.gz /local/path Now the problem is that when I fire this command. Then it gives o/p as: File... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass command line argument to variable

Hi, I had written a shell script to pass command line argument to variable in a function. Here is my code: main if ; then .$1 echo $1 get_input_file else echo "input file $1 is not available" fi get_input_file() { FILE = "$1" echo $FILE } (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poonamol
10 Replies

8. Programming

Splitting string and storing in int

I have a string containing 2 integers separated by /, for example 12/8 or 8/6 am want to store the numbers in two integers. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing command output in a variable and using cut/awk

Hi, My aim is to get the md5 hash of a file and store it in a variable. var1="md5sum file1" $var1 The above outputs fine but also contains the filename, so somthing like this 243ASsf25 file1 i just need to get the first part and put it into a variable. var1="md5sum file1"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JustALol
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing awk command in a variable

I'm working on a script in which gives certain details in its output depending on user-specified options. So, what I'd like to do is something like: if then awkcmd='some_awk_command' else awkcmd='some_other_awk_command' fi Then, later in the script, we'd do something like: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
5 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)