Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Changing value of a variable inside a shell script Post 302267269 by manikantants on Friday 12th of December 2008 04:06:32 AM
Old 12-12-2008
If you are still stuck with this, I have a suggestion.

Create a touch file with predefined name and before each iteration in the shell script, check for this file. Quit the script if the file is available.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a number with random variable inside shell script

Hi All. I need help for the below logic. I ve a file like following input file: NopTX(5) // should be remain same as input ----Nop(@100); //1 Nop(90); //2 --Nop(80); //3 @Nop(70); //4 --@Nop(60); //5 @Nop@(@50); //6 --Nop@( 40); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

scope of a Variable inside shell script

hi all, i'm using the following script, Status=1 Function_do () { while read line; do if ; then #echo $line if ; then Status=0 echo " LINKINK ERROR " fi fi done < ldd.log } Function_do (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vij_krr
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give a variable output name in a shell script inside a for loop

Hi all I run my program prog.c in the following way : $ ./prog 1 > output.txt where 1 is a user defined initial value used by the program. But now I want to run it for many a thousand initial values, 1-1000, and store all the outputs in different files. Like $ ./prog 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alice06
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing a shell template variable

I'm trying to use a custom command in the configServer loadalert.txt file. the problem is that any command that I place inside the square brackets is simply not working. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. -------------- Content-Type: text/plain; Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshazad
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the shell variable inside awk

Hai, I need to search a variable inside a file using awk in AIX. for ex: file.txt one two three four five i need to get the lines with two awk '/two/ {print}' file.txt But i need to change the two as a variable since it would be changed on runtime..i tried like below..nothing give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jesu
3 Replies

7. Ubuntu

error LD: undefined variable while changing shell from bash to csh

Hi, i am a beginner in ubuntu. my default shell is bash. everytime i try to change the shell with command "csh", i get a message (probably an error message). after i get into c-shell, when i try to execute a c shellscript, then it showed the same message. any idea about what is this about or any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Avinash Nayak
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return value inside isql to a shell variable in ksh

Hello, I have a shell script where I am doing an isql to select some records. the result i get from the select statement is directed to an output file. I want to assign the result to a Shell variable so that I can use the retrieved in another routine. e.g. "isql -U${USER} -P${PASSWD} -S${SERVER}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RookieDev
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Unable to pass a space inside a variable shell scripting

Can anyone help me in solving this ? p=`date` e=`echo $p | awk '{print $2,$3}'` # echo $p Wed Aug 4 12:00:08 IST 2013 but when I am echoing the value of e it is giving me with one space. As shown below: # echo $e Aug 4 I need this value to be exact as found in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kits
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a Boolean variable which succeed and failed inside the if loop in shell script ?

I have if loop with multiple variable value check in if loop. How can i print only if loop satisfied variable and its value in shell script ? I dont want to check each variable in if loop. That makes my script larger. if ] then echo "Only satisfied variable with value" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince1987
3 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)