Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Where is my USB key?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Where is my USB key? Post 302267179 by fpmurphy on Thursday 11th of December 2008 07:22:37 PM
Old 12-11-2008
If you have udev installed, check /var/log/messages for entries containing something like "scsi removable disk" and a device name. You then need to mount the device before you can read the files on it.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to copy a usb key

How would I write a script to copy a USB key? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jo calamine
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pressing backspace key simulates enter key

Hi, Whenever i press the backspace key, a new line appears, i.e. it works like a enter key. :confused: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Looking for help with creating bootable USB key

I am currently trying to create a bootable USB key that I can use to boot a couple different X86 single slot processors. Creating a basic key is as easy as can be but I am looking to customize this boot image to meet two important criteria: 1. The system must boot in text only mode as my only... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingfish1760
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to install a new system from a usb key

Hi everybody, I have several computers that are configured to install when I plug them on the network. The hard drive come's empty, but I think they have a parameter in the BIOS that allow the machines to install from the network. My problem is that in most cases, available bw is weak and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB-USB cable between linux and windows computers

Is there an easy way to setup a cross-over cable (USB-USB) between a linux box and a windows PC? My 2 machines are next to each other but I really do not want to keep transfering my files using my USB drive. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 8 ssh public key authentication issue - Server refused our key

Hi, I've used the following way to set ssh public key authentication and it is working fine on Solaris 10, RedHat Linux and SuSE Linux servers without any problem. But I got error 'Server refused our key' on Solaris 8 system. Solaris 8 uses SSH2 too. Why? Please help. Thanks. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script @ Find a key word and If the key word matches then replace next 7 lines only

Hi All, I have a XML file which is looks like as below. <<please see the attachment >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <esites> <esite> <name>XXX.com</name> <storeId>10001</storeId> <module> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev_hbk
4 Replies
tk_scsiformat(8)					       Scsiinfo User's Guide						  tk_scsiformat(8)

NAME
tk_scsiformat - low level format an scsi disk device with a nice user interface SYNOPSIS
tk_scsiformat [device] DESCRIPTION
Low level formats the SCSI device identified by the scsi disk or generic scsi device node device. You must be root to perform this opera- tion. When you do not specify a device, tk_scsiformat gives you a list to select a disk device from. tk_scsiformat is a Tcl/Tk user interface to scsiformat(8). You should read that manual page for the general operation of scsiformat. All common X11 and Tcl/Tk options apply. By the nature of graphical user interfaces, there should not be much to explain here. All entry fields refer directly to scsiformat(8) options. In addition to those, you are able to save your selections to be used as defaults for this device next time in a file /usr/lib/scsi/scsi- format.defs.* by pressing the <Save Defaults> button. This is intended and very handy for formatting of removable medias. Note, however, that tk_scsiformat is not as clever as scsiformat(8) (or even tries to be) to find if multiple ways to refer to the same scsi device (disk device, generic device). Furthermore, you can select (or enter freely) a command to automatically make a file system on the newly formatted disk. While formatting a nice completion bar is drawn. Alas, I could not really implement querying progress from a target device yet. The /usr/lib/scsi/tworands binary is used to calculate two random integers which is not supported by plain Tcl/Tk. BUGS
When not specifying a device to format, tk_scsiformat will prepare a list of disk devices to choose from. Alas, if a blocking format opera- tion is running on one of them, tk_scsiformat will block in a non interruptible disk wait sleep. Old status files in /tmp will confuse tk_scsiformat. However, they are removed after 48 hours. Restrictions of the SCSI_IOCTL_SEND_COMMAND ioctl(2) call for the sd(4) device make it impossible to issue a FORMAT_UNIT command with more than 4096 bytes of arguments. This could be avoided by using the proper generic scsi device /dev/sg* instead, at least where the kernel is compiled to support it. Most of the time this is not needed though and thus I'm myself to lazy to do it. FILES
/usr/lib/scsi/tworands /usr/lib/scsi/scsiformat.defs.* /tmp/scsiformat.xx:xx:xx:xx:xxxxxxxx /dev/sd* /dev/sg* SEE ALSO
scsiformat(8), scsiinfo(8), scsi-config(8), fdisk(8), sd(4). AUTHOR
Michael Weller <eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de> scsiinfo 1.7 23 August 1997 tk_scsiformat(8)