Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: range in hosts file
Operating Systems AIX range in hosts file Post 302266916 by joeyg on Thursday 11th of December 2008 09:54:00 AM
Old 12-11-2008
Question Routing table

Are you referring to the routing table?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

dns and hosts file

ok i have a question now when i add machines on network that are running unix do i add them in the /etc/hosts file also include them in dns (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmuhammad
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hosts.allow & hosts.deny

Hi! Im trying to use host.allow & host.deny to resrtic access to my sun machine, but it doesnt seem to work... I want to allow full access from certain IPīs (ssh,http,ftp,etc...) but deny all kind of conections from outsideworld, the way that im doing that is: hosts.allow ALL:127.0.0.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sorrento
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HOSTS File

Hi All, I am to the UNIX world and want to know if I can specify a range of IP addresses instead of having to include one by one on the HOSTS file. Can I just say 127.20.1.1 to 127.20.1.156 ? Or the only way is to put one by one along with the machine name next to the IP ? THANKS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cymerman
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP file to different hosts

Guys hw ya all doing.by the way wrote a script which is below. f() { for host in hostname1 hostname2; do { #host=hostname1 user = 'rocky' pass = 'rocky' #ftp to particular server ftp -v $host quote USER $user quote PASS $pass bin cd /bin/rocky mkdir rock cd /bin/rocky/rock/... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolkid
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you have multiple mailhost's in the /etc/hosts file?

We recently had an smtp server go down and didn't have a backup. Now that the backup server is up and running, I'd like to set up sendmail on our Solaris 10 servers to failover to the backup mail (smtp) server if the primary refuses connections. I've googled "mailhost" and haven't found... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: the.gooch
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you specify multiple mailhost's in the /etc/hosts file?

Hello, This question has been posted by another member previously, but no reply/answer was posted to that thread and it has been closed. Searches do not seem to turn up a straight answer as to whether or not this is possible. So I ask the same question: We recently had our SMTP server go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwasserb
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hosts file

What are the xid and cid numbers in a host file used for on solaris? If possible can I get a detailed link on the configuration of hosts file explaining xid and cid. :o (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: usm4n
1 Replies

8. AIX

aix tcp wrappers hosts.allow hosts.deny?

hi all just installed the netsec.options.tcpwrapper from expansion pack, which used to be a rpm, for my aix 6.1 test box. it is so unpredictable. i set up the hosts.deny as suggested for all and allow the sshd for specific ip addresses/hostnames. the tcpdchk says the hosts allowed and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wf201626
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to synchronise a file to 2 different hosts?

Hello, We ve got 2 sites (Site1, Site2), joined thanks vpn. We had 2 differents files with a list of all host in each sites. Server1 has list1.ini, and Server2 has list2.ini everyone from Site1 update list1.ini by ssh or script to Server1 everyone from Site2 update list2.ini by ssh or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cterra
1 Replies

10. Solaris

How to copy a tar file on a series of remote hosts and untar it on those hosts?

Am trying to copy a tar file onto a series of remote hosts and untar it at the destination. Need to do this without having to do multiple ssh. Actions to perform within a single ssh session via shell script - copy a file - untar at destination (remote host) OS : Linux RHEL6 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
3 Replies
hosts.equiv(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    hosts.equiv(4)

NAME
hosts.equiv - A file containing the names of remote systems and users that can execute commands on the local system SYNOPSIS
/etc/hosts.equiv DESCRIPTION
The /etc/hosts.equiv file and the .rhosts file in a user's home directory contain the names of remote hosts and users that are equivalent to the local host or user. An equivalent host or user is allowed to access a local nonsuperuser account with the rsh command or rcp com- mand, or to log in to such an account without having to supply a password. The /etc/hosts.equiv file specifies equivalence for an entire system, while a user's .rhosts file specifies equivalence between that user and remote users. The local user and the target system exist in the same area as the hosts.equiv file. The .rhosts file must be owned by the user in whose home directory the file is located, or by the superuser. It cannot be a symbolic link. Each line, or entry, in hosts.equiv or .rhosts may consist of the following: A blank line. A comment (begins with a #). A host name (a string of any printable characters except newline, #, or white space). In addition, an NIS netgroup can be specified in place of the host name. A host name followed by white space and a user name. In addition, an NIS netgroup can be specified in place of the host name, user name, or both. A single plus (+) character. This means any host and user. The keyword NO_PLUS. This keyword disallows the use of the plus character (+) to match any host or user on a system-wide basis. By default, the line containing this keyword is a comment. Remove the com- ment character to disallow the use of the plus character. Entries in the hosts.equiv file are either positive or negative. Positive entries allow access; negative entries deny access. The following entries are positive: host name user name +@netgroup In addition, the plus sign (+) can be used in place of the host name or user name. In place of the host name, it means any remote host. In place of the user name, it means any user. The following entries are negative: -host name -user name -@netgroup To be allowed access or denied access, a user's remote host name and user name must match an entry in hosts.equiv or .rhosts. The hosts.equiv file is searched first; if a match is found, the search ends. Therefore, the order in which the positive and negative entries appear is important. If a match is not found, .rhosts is searched if it exists in the user's home directory. A host name or user name can match an entry in hosts.equiv in one of the following ways: The official host name (not an alias) of the remote host matches a host name in hosts.equiv. The remote user name matches a user name in hosts.equiv. If a user name parameter is included in the hosts.equiv file, this means that the remote user is a trusted user and is allowed to rlogin to any local user account without being prompted for a password. Otherwise, if the user name parameter is not specified in the hosts.equiv file, the name of the remote user must match that of the local user. If the remote user name does not match a user name in hosts.equiv, the remote user name matches the local user name. CAUTIONS
For security purposes, the files /etc/hosts.equiv and .rhosts should exist and be readable and writable only by the owner, even if they are empty. EXAMPLES
The following are sample entries in an /etc/hosts.equiv file: # Allows access to users on host1 and host2 that have accounts on this host: host1 host2 # Allows access to user johnson on host1 to any local user: host1 johnson # Allows access to all users on systems specified in netgroup chicago +@chicago # Denies access to users specified in netgroup finance on host5 host5 -@finance # Allows access to all users on all systems except root + -root RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: rcp(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1) Functions: ruserok(3). Files: netgroup(4) Daemons: rlogind(8), rshd(8) delim off hosts.equiv(4)