Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep multiple patterns + the whole word only Post 302266754 by meheretoknow on Thursday 11th of December 2008 01:57:03 AM
Old 12-11-2008
Question grep multiple patterns + the whole word only

Guys,

i used egrep "pattern1|pattern2". But the whole word is searched. But i want the output if only the exact word is matched. i.e the output is got evenif a part of the pattern is matched.

I tried the -w opion but its showing usage error.

Please help me out on this one. please sent me the exact command run on your console. I am using a Solaris8.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep for multiple patterns

I want to get a list of all the files in the current directory that have two patterns. I can do first grep of one pattern and then with the output do the grep of the second pattern. if the output of 1st pattern search results in many files, it is very difficult to do a grep of the 2nd pattern for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tselvanin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple patterns

Hi, Can we grep multiple patterns in UNIX. for example: cat /x/y/oratab | grep -i "pattern1|pattern2" .... etc I require the syntax for multiple patterns. | is not working as I explained in example. Malay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for Multiple patterns

Hi All, I have a file. I need to find multiple patterns in a row and need those rows to divert to new file. I tried using grep -e / -E / -F options as given in man. But its not working. ==> cat testgrep.txt william,fernandes,xxxxx mark,morsov,yyyy yy=,xx= yyyy=,xxxx== ==>... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: WillImm123
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To grep multiple patterns with space in between them......

Hii... Every One...... I want to grep multiple patterns with space in between them. For eg : I have a file which contains following : red cat every one new one you are an ox take one Now, what I want to do is to grep " you are" , "an ox" and "red cat" from this file. Any help........ (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashantshukla
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep multiple patterns in number of files

Hi, I want to list the files containing a no of pattern like for single string i can use grep -l "string" * This command will enlist the files containg this string. Similarly i would like to use for multiple string. I like to enlist file names having string1 and string 2 Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikash_k
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for multiple patterns

I have a file with many rows. I want to grep for multiple patterns from the file. For eg: XX=123|YY=222|ZZ=566 AA=123|EE=222|GG=566 FF=123|RR=222|GG=566 DD=123|RR=222|GG=566 I want the lines which has both XX and ZZ. I know I can get it like this. grep XX file | grep YY But... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tene
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep middle word between two patterns

Hi, I'm currently working on a shell script to automate a backup check on oracle database. My requirement is to grep the words between two delimiters and pass on to a variable.. for ex I have following values in my log file... (DB_NAME), (163.24 25), (16/02/10 23:40), (COMPLETED), I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil3d
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep from multiple patterns multiple file multiple output

Hi, I want to grep multiple patterns from multiple files and save to multiple outputs. As of now its outputting all to the same file when I use this command. Input : 108 files to check for 390 patterns to check for. output I need to 108 files with the searched patterns. Xargs -I {} grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple patterns that contain wildcards

job_count=`grep -e "The job called .* has finished | The job called .* is running" logfile.txt | wc -l` Any idea how to count those 2 patterns so i have a total count of the finished and running jobs from the log file? If i do either of the patterns its works okay but adding them together... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: finn
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep with multiple patterns?

I am trying to grep a variable with multiple lines with multiple patterns below is the pattern list in a variable called "grouplst", each pattern is speerated by "|" grouplst="example1|example2|example3|example4|example5|example6|example7" I need to use the patterns above to grep a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajetangay
2 Replies
APROPOS(1)							Manual pager utils							APROPOS(1)

NAME
apropos - search the manual page names and descriptions SYNOPSIS
apropos [-dalv?V] [-e|-w|-r] [-s list] [-m system[,...]] [-M path] [-L locale] [-C file] keyword ... DESCRIPTION
Each manual page has a short description available within it. apropos searches the descriptions for instances of keyword. keyword is usually a regular expression, as if (-r) was used, or may contain wildcards (-w), or match the exact keyword (-e). Using these options, it may be necessary to quote the keyword or escape () the special characters to stop the shell from interpreting them. The standard matching rules allow matches to be made against the page name and word boundaries in the description. The database searched by apropos is updated by the mandb program. Depending on your installation, this may be run by a periodic cron job, or may need to be run manually after new manual pages have been installed. OPTIONS
-d, --debug Print debugging information. -v, --verbose Print verbose warning messages. -r, --regex Interpret each keyword as a regular expression. This is the default behaviour. Each keyword will be matched against the page names and the descriptions independently. It can match any part of either. The match is not limited to word boundaries. -w, --wildcard Interpret each keyword as a pattern containing shell style wildcards. Each keyword will be matched against the page names and the descriptions independently. If --exact is also used, a match will only be found if an expanded keyword matches an entire descrip- tion or page name. Otherwise the keyword is also allowed to match on word boundaries in the description. -e, --exact Each keyword will be exactly matched against the page names and the descriptions. -a, --and Only display items that match all the supplied keywords. The default is to display items that match any keyword. -l, --long Do not trim output to the terminal width. Normally, output will be truncated to the terminal width to avoid ugly results from poorly-written NAME sections. -s list, --sections list, --section list Search only the given manual sections. list is a colon- or comma-separated list of sections. If an entry in list is a simple sec- tion, for example "3", then the displayed list of descriptions will include pages in sections "3", "3perl", "3x", and so on; while if an entry in list has an extension, for example "3perl", then the list will only include pages in that exact part of the manual section. -m system[,...], --systems=system[,...] If this system has access to other operating system's manual page descriptions, they can be searched using this option. To search NewOS's manual page descriptions, use the option -m NewOS. The system specified can be a combination of comma-delimited operating system names. To include a search of the native operating system's whatis descriptions, include the system name man in the argument string. This option will override the $SYSTEM environment variable. -M path, --manpath=path Specify an alternate set of colon-delimited manual page hierarchies to search. By default, apropos uses the $MANPATH environment variable, unless it is empty or unset, in which case it will determine an appropriate manpath based on your $PATH environment vari- able. This option overrides the contents of $MANPATH. -L locale, --locale=locale apropos will normally determine your current locale by a call to the C function setlocale(3) which interrogates various environment variables, possibly including $LC_MESSAGES and $LANG. To temporarily override the determined value, use this option to supply a locale string directly to apropos. Note that it will not take effect until the search for pages actually begins. Output such as the help message will always be displayed in the initially determined locale. -C file, --config-file=file Use this user configuration file rather than the default of ~/.manpath. -?, --help Print a help message and exit. --usage Print a short usage message and exit. -V, --version Display version information. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful program execution. 1 Usage, syntax or configuration file error. 2 Operational error. 16 Nothing was found that matched the criteria specified. ENVIRONMENT
SYSTEM If $SYSTEM is set, it will have the same effect as if it had been specified as the argument to the -m option. MANPATH If $MANPATH is set, its value is interpreted as the colon-delimited manual page hierarchy search path to use. MANWIDTH If $MANWIDTH is set, its value is used as the terminal width (see the --long option). If it is not set, the terminal width will be calculated using the value of $COLUMNS, an ioctl(2) if available, or falling back to 80 characters if all else fails. POSIXLY_CORRECT If $POSIXLY_CORRECT is set, even to a null value, the default apropos search will be as an extended regex (-r). Nowadays, this is the default behaviour anyway. FILES
/usr/share/man/index.(bt|db|dir|pag) A traditional global index database cache. /var/cache/man/index.(bt|db|dir|pag) An FHS compliant global index database cache. /usr/share/man/.../whatis A traditional whatis text database. SEE ALSO
man(1), whatis(1), mandb(8) AUTHOR
Wilf. (G.Wilford@ee.surrey.ac.uk). Fabrizio Polacco (fpolacco@debian.org). Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org). 2.8.3 2018-04-05 APROPOS(1)