Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Tar & Tape drive without media Post 302266747 by incredible on Thursday 11th of December 2008 01:37:32 AM
Old 12-11-2008
what error was thrown. pls provide console message

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux/unix tape drive & AMANDA

Trying to set up AMANDA on my linux machine, with the DDS-3 HP Tape drive. Am having problems, in my amanda.conf it doesn't like /dev/st0 or /dev/st0nr and I need to have it as non rewinding, is there another command/params i can give it for the tape drive to be non rewinding? I'm trying to use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

2. AIX

Check for media in DVD drive

I would like to check for the existance of media in a DVD drive prior to running a mkcd. Is this possible? I have accomplished this in the past with tctl, but that was with a tape drive. Any help is appreciated. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmjoen
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

4. Solaris

tar on remote tape drive

hello guys, am trying to save a file file1 to a remote tape drive using tar and i get a permission denied error as shown below: server1%tar cvf - file1 | rsh server2 dd of=/dev/rmt/1m conv=sync a file1 1883905K permission denied since server2 requires login username and password, i see in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nom
3 Replies

5. AIX

savevg/tar/mksysb of server-A on remote tape drive possible ?

Every 3 months we have to do backups (smitth mksysb/lsmksysb + tar) on at least 30 workstations. We have to carry around 2 external tape drives to connect to them. It is a pain to do because it takes at least 3 days to do (evening/night shift) and users sometimes complain that there desk is not put... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

6. AIX

dvd media in drive

Hello, It's some tool in AIX to check what kind of media (DVD+RW DVD-RW DVD-RAM) is inserted in drive? In linux there is very nice tool called dvd+rw-mediainfo. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar to tape drive command

I want to use this command to tar to tape: tar cf - DIR | compress > `hostname`_`date +%m-%d-%y`.DIR.tar.Z this of course goes to the FS. How do I modify this to go directly to tape? My tape device is /dev/rmt/0 thanks. Having so many posts you should be familiar using code tags.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
7 Replies

8. AIX

CPIO restoration from LTO2 tape media on AIX 4.3.3

Hi, AIXers :) Recently i'm playing around with cpio command, when i try to list out content from LTO2 Tape media using command: #cpio -itvc < /dev/rmt1 it's stopped at particular path 100777 root 1042591 Mar 24 10:09:05 2012 /home/uv/bin/usd and there was an error thrown out: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polar
2 Replies

9. AIX

Ejecting tape on AIX & Some Tape commands

I am trying to use this command to eject the tape mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload but it gives me error mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload mt: 0511-575 unload is not a recognized subcommand. Usage: mt Subcommand Valid subcommands are: weof eof fsf bsf ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies
sysmsg(7D)							      Devices								sysmsg(7D)

NAME
sysmsg - system message routing to console devices SYNOPSIS
/dev/sysmsg DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/sysmsg routes output to a variable set of console devices. Writes to /dev/sysmsg are always directed to the system console /dev/console, and are in addition directed to a set of auxiliary console devices managed by consadm(1M). Only root has permission to write to this device. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
consadm(1M), syslogd(1M) , attributes(5), console(7D) SunOS 5.10 13 Oct 1998 sysmsg(7D)