Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting convert email headers' encoding? Post 302266694 by cbkihong on Wednesday 10th of December 2008 09:09:30 PM
Old 12-10-2008
My code was meant to show you the general process of MIME decoding (and mostly concept). It was not quite good for production use. Parsing a real-world email message is likely slightly more complex due to existence of variations.

To be frank, if you can get hold of PHP 5, as indicated in the inline comment, the simplest approach would be to use the iconv_mime_decode() function which is a one-stop shop of what you want. There was a (intentional) flaw in my posted code because it didn't handle the case where the encoding is quoted-printable, that is also supported by MIME. For simplicity, I only posted the part which decodes Base64, because that was used in your sample posted.

If you get hold of the concepts needed, you may then check other languages or tools to see if they may better suit your environment compared with PHP. As PHP install is typically pretty big, it may not be necessarily suitable in all deployment environments (say on very limited storage space).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

encoding

Hi, I'm using putty and when I try to write ü it writes | (or when I try to write é , it writes i) I tried to change settings/translation of putty but with no success I have KSH # locale LANG= LC_CTYPE="C" LC_NUMERIC="C" LC_TIME="C" LC_COLLATE="C" LC_MONETARY="C" LC_MESSAGES="C"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palmer18
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text between headers while leaving headers intact

Hi, I'm trying to strip all lines between two headers in a file: ### BEGIN ### Text to remove, contains all kinds of characters ... Antispyware-Downloadserver.com (Germany)=http://www.antispyware-downloadserver.c om/updates/ Antispyware-Downloadserver.com #2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trones
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging of files with different headers to make combined headers file

Hi , I have a typical situation. I have 4 files and with different headers (number of headers is varible ). I need to make such a merged file which will have headers combined from all files (comman coluns should appear once only). For example - File 1 H1|H2|H3|H4 11|12|13|14 21|22|23|23... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marut_ashu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

UTF8 encoding

Hi experts, I have a gz file from other system(solaris), which is ftped to our system(solaris). After gunzip, the file is a xml file and we are using ORACLE built in xml transformiing tool ORAXSL to transform XML to TXT. Now the issue is we come accross issue regarding UTF8 as below:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the file encoding and updating the file encoding?

Hi, I am beginner to Unix. My requirement is to validate the encoding used in the incoming file(csv,txt).If it is encoded with UTF-8 format,then the file should remain as such otherwise i need to chnage the encoding to UTF-8. Please advice me how to proceed on this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQL query output convert to HTML & send as email body

Hi , I have a sql query in the unix script ,whose output is shown below.I want to convert this output to HTML table format & send email from unix with this table as email body. p_id src_system amount 1 A 100 2 B 200 3 C ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagadeeshn04
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script output in Email is not showing Colored headers

Hi All I am working on AIX 7.1 and I am trying to show an output that I get from "cat" a log file to email. However in email I get the below output: In the script I have defined the colors as: #!/bin/sh echo "\033 Below is the script I have created to send this output: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubs
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email Headers

I'm trying to pick up some Unix SysAdmin skills on my own outside of work through the use of the "Unix and Linux System Administrators Handbook." I've found the exercises to be very beneficial, until I came to this.... "What path did the email take? To Whom was it addressed, and to whom was it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert Txt file to HTML table and email

Hi all I need help converting a text file into a html table in bash and I need to email this table. The text file looks like the below. Two columns with multiple rows. Top row being header. Application Name Application Status Application 1 Open Application 2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmanjd
2 Replies

10. Solaris

View file encoding then change encoding.

Hi all!! I´m using command file -i myfile.xml to validate XML file encoding, but it is just saying regular file . I´m expecting / looking an output as UTF8 or ANSI / ASCII Is there command to display the files encoding? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies
MIME::QuotedPrint(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				    MIME::QuotedPrint(3pm)

NAME
MIME::QuotedPrint - Encoding and decoding of quoted-printable strings SYNOPSIS
use MIME::QuotedPrint; $encoded = encode_qp($decoded); $decoded = decode_qp($encoded); DESCRIPTION
This module provides functions to encode and decode strings into and from the quoted-printable encoding specified in RFC 2045 - MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions). The quoted-printable encoding is intended to represent data that largely consists of bytes that correspond to printable characters in the ASCII character set. Each non-printable character (as defined by English Americans) is represented by a triplet consisting of the character "=" followed by two hexadecimal digits. The following functions are provided: encode_qp( $str) encode_qp( $str, $eol) encode_qp( $str, $eol, $binmode ) This function returns an encoded version of the string ($str) given as argument. The second argument ($eol) is the line-ending sequence to use. It is optional and defaults to " ". Every occurrence of " " is replaced with this string, and it is also used for additional "soft line breaks" to ensure that no line end up longer than 76 characters. Pass it as "1512" to produce data suitable for external consumption. The string " " produces the same result on many platforms, but not all. The third argument ($binmode) will select binary mode if passed as a TRUE value. In binary mode " " will be encoded in the same way as any other non-printable character. This ensures that a decoder will end up with exactly the same string whatever line ending sequence it uses. In general it is preferable to use the base64 encoding for binary data; see MIME::Base64. An $eol of "" (the empty string) is special. In this case, no "soft line breaks" are introduced and binary mode is effectively enabled so that any " " in the original data is encoded as well. decode_qp( $str ) This function returns the plain text version of the string given as argument. The lines of the result are " " terminated, even if the $str argument contains " " terminated lines. If you prefer not to import these routines into your namespace, you can call them as: use MIME::QuotedPrint (); $encoded = MIME::QuotedPrint::encode($decoded); $decoded = MIME::QuotedPrint::decode($encoded); Perl v5.8 and better allow extended Unicode characters in strings. Such strings cannot be encoded directly, as the quoted-printable encoding is only defined for single-byte characters. The solution is to use the Encode module to select the byte encoding you want. For example: use MIME::QuotedPrint qw(encode_qp); use Encode qw(encode); $encoded = encode_qp(encode("UTF-8", "x{FFFF} ")); print $encoded; COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1995-1997,2002-2004 Gisle Aas. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
MIME::Base64 perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 MIME::QuotedPrint(3pm)