Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Server security
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Server security Post 302266691 by cbkihong on Wednesday 10th of December 2008 08:52:31 PM
Old 12-10-2008
Sure, a firewall would help. Especially block SSH (22) if it may be accessible from outside. Of course you can enable specific IP or netblocks if you need to access it remotely and if the the source address is known.

A few years earlier I played with PSAD. It analyzes known attack patterns and block intruders concerned spontaneously. I think it is worth exploring too.

psad - Intrusion Detection with iptables, iptables Log Analysis, iptables Policy Analysis

With all these, still, make sure you revise the logs from time to time to check if you are being subject to new attack patterns.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

permissions and security with windows 2000 server

I setup a Windows 2000 Server so that a G4 could access one specific folder. The only way this contact could take place between the two operating systems is with Maclan. I have not installed it with the PCmaclan currently, I have only been reading about it. Can someone assist me with this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmoncriffe
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Are there many UNIX server security enhanced products?

for sco, hp, or AIX...... anyway, how can I secure the UNIX system. I knew that CA has it's products for securing the UNIX server system. Please tell me more about other vender, and their products thxs! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: brookwk
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

Zimbra Mail Server Security Issue

Hello, I have issue with my Zimbra Mail Server 6.0.7. In that i have configured HTTPS for client login and for whole session. but it stills communicate in http based authentication. due to that some sniffing software are easily sniffing details. So how do i configure completely HTTPS in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chintanghanti
3 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Two Factor Authentication – Best for the UNIX/Linux Server Security

The UNIX/Linux server security is challenging because these servers are at a risk of getting compromised at any point of time by the attackers. In today's enterprise environment, the UNIX and Linux servers are growing popular. With their increased popularity, these servers have become the primary... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reve-secure
1 Replies
ARNO-IPTABLES-FIREWALL(8)												 ARNO-IPTABLES-FIREWALL(8)

NAME
arno-iptables-firewall - Single- & multi-homed firewall script with DSL/ADSL support. SYNOPSIS
/etc/init.d/arno-iptables-firewall [start|stop|status|force-reload|restart] DESCRIPTION
arno-iptables-firewall is an iptables configuration script with support for both IPv4 & IPv6. While it is extremely easy to use one can nevertheless use it in quite complicated environments. All available options are explained in the extensively documented configuration file. The external interface of the system needs to be set up properly in the firewalls configuration file (EXT_IF). The default behavior of the firewall is to deny all incoming connections. For additional requirements not covered by the configuration file custom iptables rules can be placed in /etc/arno-iptables-firewall/cus- tom-rules. This file is automatically parsed by the service script. See the README file (eg. in /usr/(local/)share/doc/arno-iptables-firewall) for an example how to manage logging of firewall events through syslogd. The arno-fwfilter script can be used to make the firewall logs more readable for humans (see manpage). Several plugins for the firewall script are available online. Plugins can be downloaded from http://rocky.eld.leidenuniv.nl/ Please see the README file for more information. FILES
/etc/init.d/arno-iptables-firewall system service script /etc/arno-iptables-firewall/firewall.conf firewall configuration /etc/arno-iptables-firewall/conf.d/ firewall configuration directory /etc/arno-iptables-firewall/custom-rules custom iptables rules /etc/arno-iptables-firewall/blocked-hosts host blacklist /etc/arno-iptables-firewall/mac-addresses mac filter list Please note, that the last two files do exist in the initial configuration and their use is disabled in /etc/arno-iptables-firewall/fire- wall.conf SEE ALSO
iptables(8), arno-fwfilter(1), syslog.conf(5) The http://rocky.eld.leidenuniv.nl/ web site. AUTHOR
arno-iptables-firewall was written by Arno van Amersfoort <arnova@rocky.eld.leidenuniv.nl>. This manual page was written by Michael Hanke <michael.hanke@gmail.com>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). Michael Hanke March 14, 2012 ARNO-IPTABLES-FIREWALL(8)