Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD Gnome 2.2 gets very sluggish on FreeBSD 7 Post 302266671 by janez on Wednesday 10th of December 2008 06:35:03 PM
Old 12-10-2008
Solution

cd /usr/local/share/xsessions
edit gnome.desktop

replace (at the end of the file)
Exec=gnome-session
TryExec=gnome-session
with
Exec=gnome-session --purge-delay=5000 --warn-delay=5000
TryExec=gnome-session --purge-delay=5000 --warn-delay=5000

Janez

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Start Gnome in FreeBSD 4.5

I was finally able to get FreeBSD working with X-windows and KDE. I installed Gnome also. However am not given the chance to run Gnome when I type: startx at the command line. KDE seems to be default How can I run Gnome too? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lancest
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD 4.4 Uninstalling KDE or GNOME

Hey all :) I finally got around to installing FreeBSD 4.4, which considering it's my first attempt with *nix, didn't go too badly. I've managed to configure X and everything else, but I've got a bit of a problem, lol. I installed KDE and GNOME. I had a rough idea as to what they were, but I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellz
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installed GNOME on FreeBSD! need help with several things

Hi guys, I still have "microsoft windows" eyes so this unix freebsd stuff still looks very alien to me. Yesterday I managed to install freebsd 5.1 on my dell notebook. And today I got Gnome 2.2 working. I have this problem I can only login to Gnome with my normal user account, and not with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dalma
1 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

installed GNOME on FreeBSD! need help with several things

ps. i posted this first on UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers , Sorry about the double post Hi guys, I still have "microsoft windows" eyes so this unix freebsd stuff still looks very alien to me. Yesterday I managed to install freebsd 5.1 on my dell notebook. And today I got Gnome 2.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dalma
2 Replies

5. BSD

Help with installing Gnome on FreeBSD

Recently, i have installed FreeBSD 5.3 on my computer. I then proceeded to install the latest version of Gnome. I went to the FreeBSD handbook and looked up how to set Gnome as my default window manager, and for some reason it did not work. I was wondering what exactly the command is to do set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgmyshko
4 Replies

6. BSD

Install Gnome 2.22 in FreeBSD

at root command line # pkg_add -r gnome2 This will download the latest GNOME 2.22 packages from the FreeBSD FTP site, and proceed to install them on your system. Up-to-date GNOME packages for i386 and amd64 for all supported versions of FreeBSD are also available from the GNOME Tinderbox.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: very9music
0 Replies

7. BSD

Installing gnome on freebsd

I have a fresh 64-bits install of FreeBSD 8.1 on a machine, but having issues with getting gnome to work. I have followed the guidelines on FreeBSD GNOME Project: GNOME 2.32 FAQ In summary that is: pkg_add -r gnome2 Add gnome_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf After a reboot and logging in, there... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome

Hi I'm looking for scripts to backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
0 Replies
gnome-session(1)                                                   User Commands                                                  gnome-session(1)

NAME
gnome-session - starts up the GNOME desktop environment SYNOPSIS
gnome-session [--choosesession] [--failsafe] [--purge-delay=delay] [--warn-delay=delay] [--suicide-delay=delay] [session-name] [gnome-std- options] DESCRIPTION
The gnome-session program starts up the GNOME desktop environment. This command is typically executed by your login manager (either gdm, xdm, or from your X startup scripts). It will either load your last session, or provide a default session for the user as defined by the system administrator (or the default GNOME installation on your system). You can optionally specify a specific session name to restore. gnome-session is an X11R6 session manager. It can manage GNOME applications as well as any X11R6 SM compliant sessions. If the user has previously saved a session, the session is loaded from the ~.gnome2/session file. Otherwise, the session is loaded from the /usr/share/gnome/default.session file. Any programs specified in the ~/.gnome2/session/.session-manual will also be started. gnome-session also exports an X Atom called GNOME_SM_DESKTOP on the root window, to indicate that gnome-session has started. Some applica- tions may require such information to proceed correctly. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --choosesession User can specify a session to load, as opposed to the session specified in the ~/.gnome/session-options file. If that entry does not exist in the ~/.gnome/session file (or if that file does not exist), gnome-session will use the default ses- sion, and all saves to that session will be to the new session name. --failsafe Fail-safe operations mode: gnome-session only reads saved sessions from the default.session file. --purge-delay=deThe number of milliseconds that gnome-session will wait for clients to register. If delay is 0, gnome-session will wait forever. The default value is 30,000 milliseconds. --suicide-delay=Theanumber of milliseconds that gnome-session will wait for clients to die. If delay is 0, gnome-session will wait forever. The default value is 10,000 milliseconds. --warn-delay=delThe number of milliseconds that gnome-session will wait for clients to respond. If delay is 0, gnome-session will wait for- ever. The default value is 10,000 milliseconds. gnome-std-optionStandard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: session-name The name of the session to be loaded. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Starting a session named "MySession" example% gnome-session --choose-session=MySession Example 2: Starting the system default session, ignoring the user's session example% gnome-session --failsafe Example 3: Setting the purge delay to 50000ms example% gnome-session --purge-delay=50000 Example 4: Setting the suicide delay to 50000ms example% gnome-session --suicide-delay=50000 Example 5: Setting the warning delay to 50000ms example% gnome-session --warn-delay=50000 ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
gnome-session accepts all of the standard environment variables used by GNOME programs, as well as the SESSION_MANAGER environment vari- able. gnome-session also sets several environment variables for the use of its child processes. See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: SESSION_MANAGER Used by session-manager-aware clients to contact gnome-session. DISPLAY Set to the X display being used by gnome-session. Note that the --display option, if specified, overrides the set- ting of the DISPLAY environment variable. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-session The command-line executable for the application. /usr/share/gnome/defaultDefaultnsystem session file. ~/.gnome2/session User session file. ~/.gnome2/session/.sessiSpecifies programs to start that do not support session management. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-session | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-std-options(5), default.session(5), gnome-smproxy(1), gnome-session-save(1) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 13 Jan 2003 gnome-session(1)