Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help needed in Switch Case
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help needed in Switch Case Post 302266561 by Autocross.US on Wednesday 10th of December 2008 02:19:54 PM
Old 12-10-2008
This script seems to work for me:

Code:
#! /bin/sh

TEST=1111

case $TEST in
  1111) echo "1111" ;;
  1112) echo "1112" ;;
     *) echo "None"
esac

returns '1111'

Code:
#! /bin/sh

TEST=1112

case $TEST in
  1111) echo "1111" ;;
  1112) echo "1112" ;;
     *) echo "None"
esac

returns '1112'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore case sensitive in Case Switch

In a Case switch, how to ignore case sensitive in the test: e.g. case "$field" in "TEST) action1;; *) action2;; esac How to go in action1 in case of $field = TEST , or Test , or test or .... without enumerating all possibilities... Thanks,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annelisa
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to select and delete lower case and mixed case records

HELLO ALL, URGENTLY NEEDED A SCRIPT TO SELECT AND DELETE LOWER AND MIXED CASE RECORDS FROM A COLUMN IN A TABLE. FOR EXAMPLE : Table name is EMPLOYEE and the column name is CITY and the CITY column records will be: Newyork washington ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilash mn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in switch case handling in UNIX

Hi, In below code, i am expecting the output has Bye Bye But i am getting has Bye Hi Code: #!/usr/bin/bash var="Hi" cat txt.txt | while read var1 do next="Bye" case $var in Hi) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balamani
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Example of switch case in Bash

can anyone post a sample code for a switch case in shell (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumit the cool
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Something is wrong with this switch( case statement.

I started writing a script to save the files from a camera I got the other day, which mounts in /Volumes , and I got into it and started building this menu. The only problem is that the switch case is coming up as a syntax error at the parenthesis after a case. Here is the code: while : do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snakemasterAK
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switch Case not working

My switch case is not working properly. When I press 6 or 'r' it prints out all the names of the project and the error message. #!/bin/bash while true; do read -p "Enter project number (1/2/3/10/20/30):" menu #grabs the informations of the project number and stores it into a menu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rapcher
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while executing switch case for find and replace specific file. Help Me...

case "$inputs" in sapte) find /pools/home_unix/sapte/work/models/model -name "*.xml" exec rm -i {} \;; ckm1) find /pools/home_unix/ckm1/work/models/model -name "*.xml" exec rm -i {} \;; I am getting error like as below. ./menu1.sh: line 144: syntax error near unexpected token `)'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathigara
4 Replies

8. Programming

Passing arguments from command line to switch case statement in C

Hi Am pretty new to C.. Am trying to pass the arguments from command line and use them in switch case statement.. i have tried the following #include <stdlib.h> main(int argc, char* argv) { int num=0; if ( argc == 2 ) num = argv; printf("%d is the num value",num); switch ( num ) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in case

Hi All, I have a requirement to write shell script in which we have to test three cases considering ip connection which differentiate the tool's name as per as the ip address in the file.txt . <ip1>,<ip2>,<ip3> address belongs to Tool1 <ip4>,<ip5>,<ip6> address belongs to Tool2 if... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why does it not work (Switch Case)?

Hi there, I'm trying to run a simple script,but i'm always getting this error Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting "in")I have searched many sites,like this,but i dont get it,it looks good so far,but wont work,maybe someone can help me. Here is the Script #!/bin/bash while : do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JustAnUser
6 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)