Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing spaces from the output of a head command Post 302266506 by Jazmania on Wednesday 10th of December 2008 11:10:11 AM
Old 12-10-2008
Thanks, works nicely..

Didn't know cut would do that..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing spaces between records

Hi I have an XML file. Which has spaces between different records.... current file( Has many lines, like this... I want to delete all the spaces between > and <, if there are only spaces between them) input file <xyzr> <abc>1234</xyzr> <aaa> <bbb> ayz mnz</bbb> <sen>KEA... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces after sperator

Hi friends i have problem 6000000001| CDC049| 109| CDC| 02/02/2006| Auto| New Add| 02/03/2006 6000000002| CDC033| 109| CDC| 02/02/2006| Auto| New Add| 02/03/2006 6000000003| CDC037| 109| CDC| 02/02/2006| Auto| New Add| 02/03/2006 6000000004| CDC031| ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishnu_vaka
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces

hey.. i had a problem with the unix command when i want to remove the white spaces in a string..i guess i cud do it with a sed command but i get an error when i give space in the square brackets.. string="nh hjh llk" p=`echo $string | sed 's/ //g'` i donno how to give space charater and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahithi_khushi
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing Double Spaces for cut command

Hi I have a shell script that looks for running processes in order to kill them. The script (ksh) gets the PID of these processes using the following: PROCS=`ps -fu ${USERID} | egrep "MONITOR" | grep -v grep | cut -d" " -f4` However, I spotted an issue where PID's of different lengths... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikem22
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing spaces...

Hey, I'm using the command from this thread https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/590-converting-list-into-line.html to convert vertical lines to horzontal lines. But I need to remove the spaces that is created. Unfortunately I can't figure out where the space is in the code.. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces in a line

Hi All, I have a line like this " field1;field2;field3 " (single space after and before double quotes). Now i have to remove these single space . Kindly help me. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces from record

HI i have record as shown below 402665,4X75,754X_FERNIE BC,12F2,008708,FERNIE BC,1,UTC ,UTC ,250 402665,4X75,754X_FERNIE BC,F212,008708,FERNIE BC,1,UTC ,UTC ,250 402665,4Y75,754Y_FERNIE BC,22F2,008708,FERNIE BC,1,UTC ,UTC ,250 here i want to remove multiple spaces into no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing spaces in the second field alone

Consider my input string as "abc|b f g|bj gy" I am expecting the output as "abc|bfg|bj gy". Please let me know how to achieve this in unix? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
8 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)