Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with simple variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with simple variable Post 302266248 by vidyadhar85 on Tuesday 9th of December 2008 05:25:26 PM
Old 12-09-2008
oh ok got it...i think this will do
Code:
VAR=$(echo 5=a 4=b 3=c|awk -F"=" 'BEGIN{RS=" "}/^c/{print $2}')
VAR=$(echo a=1 b=2 c=3 d=4 e=5 |awk -F"=" 'BEGIN{RS=" "}/^c/{print $2}')

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple SH variable

Greetz all, I'm using OBSD 2.9 with /bin/sh as my shell. I want to modify the SH prompt to reflect my current working directory. I'm new to shell programming, so pardon if I'm going about things wrong ;) I thought I'd be able to do it with the following line: PS1="`pwd`# " but of course,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sancho5
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very simple question about changing PS1 variable at startup!

Hello there ! I am new in this Unix world and just start learning Unix. I have very simple question about changing PS1 variable (Shell Prompt) i have local.profile file in my working directory, i open in vi edit mode and add this line PS1="Hello:>" and i save that file. I disconnected from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script to return environment variable

HI , In the below script I am trying to return the value of the environment variable TIBCO_HOME to the caller #! /usr/bin/csh set VAR_NAME=$1 echo VAR_NAME On the aix console.. set to setenv TIBCO_HOME /app/tibco When I execute the script... myscript.sh TIBCO_HOME, the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bce_groups
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple assigning variable question

I know many will probably say go read some tutorials...I would like to say that I am. However, I need to know this for work and it needs to be done soon. In my script I have a while loop that reads a .tbl file of 4 columns and assigns them to variables a, b, c, d. Once in the loop i do ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: questionasker
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple sed variable substitution

Give the code: set line = 2 set year = `sed -n '2p' file while ($line < 500) echo $line > f.txt @ line = $line + 1 end How do I utilize the variable $line in the code instead of the number 2. I'm using this in a while loop and counter. I've tried quoting it, double/single... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wxornot
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Simple" echo/reading variable question...

Hello, I have a simple(I think) question! Although simple, I have been unable to resolve it, so I hope someone can help! OK, here it is: 1)I have an awk script that prints something, such as: awk '{print $2}' a > x so x might hold the value of say '10' 2)Now, I just want to check to see if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: astropi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

A simple variable subst is not working

Hi what i want: listing files in a special range ls -lrt 20120601{05..06}* ... -rw-rw-r-- 1 imp imp 279 1. Jun 07:51 201206010550 -rw-rw-r-- 1 imp imp 279 1. Jun 07:01 201206010600 -rw-rw-r-- 1 imp imp 279 1. Jun 07:11 201206010610 -rw-rw-r-- 1 imp imp 279 1. Jun 07:21... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IMPe
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Variable substitution in ksh not working

Hi Gurus, Not able to catch what's going wrong here. I just want to get output as "tree". server:/mk/app/nexapp $ echo $SHELL /usr/bin/ksh server:/mk/app/nexapp $ export db_name1="tree" server:/mk/app/nexapp $ export i=1 1st try: server:/mk/app/nexapp $ echo $(db_name$i) ksh: db_name1: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukesh.lalwani
3 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

A simple variable frequency sinewave audio generator.

Hi all... Well I have not been inactive but working out how to make OSX 10.14.x command line audio player have a variable sample rate. This is a back door as afplay does not have a sample rate flag unlike aplay for ALSA, in Linux flavours. This is a DEMO only but a derivative of it will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)