Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting convert email headers' encoding? Post 302266111 by fearboy on Tuesday 9th of December 2008 12:43:33 PM
Old 12-09-2008
hi vbe -

i'll check that out. in the meantime, i tried changing the charset in the emails themselves from us-ascii to utf-8 (which i think would accomplish pretty much the same thing), with no effect.

i also realized that i could've provided a little more info - sorry, folks. the accounts all have .mdir mailboxes (as opposed to .mbox) - so each message is its own rfc 822-compliant textfile. that means the script is plowing through sometimes hundreds of files per account, and pulling only what it needs (in this case, from, subject, and a couple of other things that are irrelevant to this problem).

for each message, it takes that info and writes it all to one line in a temp file, then moves on to the next. when it's processed all the messages for that account, it reads back the file it just finished writing (which consists of the from & subject lines plus that other info, like a from name and its spam score), one line at a time, and clunks those bits of info into the body of the summary email.

i guess it's a little more complicated than i remembered - but again, the mechanics are working fine; it's just this charset thing that's broken.

thanks again to anyone with a tip,
-john.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

encoding

Hi, I'm using putty and when I try to write ü it writes | (or when I try to write é , it writes i) I tried to change settings/translation of putty but with no success I have KSH # locale LANG= LC_CTYPE="C" LC_NUMERIC="C" LC_TIME="C" LC_COLLATE="C" LC_MONETARY="C" LC_MESSAGES="C"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palmer18
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text between headers while leaving headers intact

Hi, I'm trying to strip all lines between two headers in a file: ### BEGIN ### Text to remove, contains all kinds of characters ... Antispyware-Downloadserver.com (Germany)=http://www.antispyware-downloadserver.c om/updates/ Antispyware-Downloadserver.com #2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trones
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging of files with different headers to make combined headers file

Hi , I have a typical situation. I have 4 files and with different headers (number of headers is varible ). I need to make such a merged file which will have headers combined from all files (comman coluns should appear once only). For example - File 1 H1|H2|H3|H4 11|12|13|14 21|22|23|23... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marut_ashu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

UTF8 encoding

Hi experts, I have a gz file from other system(solaris), which is ftped to our system(solaris). After gunzip, the file is a xml file and we are using ORACLE built in xml transformiing tool ORAXSL to transform XML to TXT. Now the issue is we come accross issue regarding UTF8 as below:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the file encoding and updating the file encoding?

Hi, I am beginner to Unix. My requirement is to validate the encoding used in the incoming file(csv,txt).If it is encoded with UTF-8 format,then the file should remain as such otherwise i need to chnage the encoding to UTF-8. Please advice me how to proceed on this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQL query output convert to HTML & send as email body

Hi , I have a sql query in the unix script ,whose output is shown below.I want to convert this output to HTML table format & send email from unix with this table as email body. p_id src_system amount 1 A 100 2 B 200 3 C ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagadeeshn04
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script output in Email is not showing Colored headers

Hi All I am working on AIX 7.1 and I am trying to show an output that I get from "cat" a log file to email. However in email I get the below output: In the script I have defined the colors as: #!/bin/sh echo "\033 Below is the script I have created to send this output: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubs
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email Headers

I'm trying to pick up some Unix SysAdmin skills on my own outside of work through the use of the "Unix and Linux System Administrators Handbook." I've found the exercises to be very beneficial, until I came to this.... "What path did the email take? To Whom was it addressed, and to whom was it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert Txt file to HTML table and email

Hi all I need help converting a text file into a html table in bash and I need to email this table. The text file looks like the below. Two columns with multiple rows. Top row being header. Application Name Application Status Application 1 Open Application 2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmanjd
2 Replies

10. Solaris

View file encoding then change encoding.

Hi all!! I´m using command file -i myfile.xml to validate XML file encoding, but it is just saying regular file . I´m expecting / looking an output as UTF8 or ANSI / ASCII Is there command to display the files encoding? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies
Rscript(1)								FSF								Rscript(1)

NAME
Rscript - front end for scripting with R SYNOPSIS
Rscript [--options] [-e expr] file [args] DESCRIPTION
A binary front-end to R, for use in scripting applications. expr An optional expression to be evaluated, used in place of expr. file Input file of R expressions args Optional further arguments to be processed by commandArgs in the R interpreter. OPTIONS
--options accepted are --help Print usage and exit --version Print version and exit --verbose Print information on progress --default-packages=list Where 'list' is a comma-separated set of package names, or 'NULL' and also options to R (in addition to --slave --no-restore), such as --save Do save workspace at the end of the session --no-environ Don't read the site and user environment files --no-site-file Don't read the site-wide Rprofile --no-init-file Don't read the user R profile --restore Do restore previously saved objects at startup --vanilla Combine --no-save, --no-restore, --no-site-file --no-init-file and --no-environ SEE ALSO
R(1) R scripting April 2007 Rscript(1)