Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting expr: Integer argument too large Post 302266048 by iamgeethuj on Tuesday 9th of December 2008 09:23:47 AM
Old 12-09-2008
Data expr: Integer argument too large

Hi all,

In KSH, I have got an error message like,
"expr: Integer argument too large"
I received this error message when I mutiply two large values and displaying the resultant output.

Is there any other altenative way to go with too large values?

Kindly let me know asap...

Thanks in advance!!!

Geetha

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr+float argument: how can i do?

Hi everybody, I want to know how can i use the command 'expr' to manipulate float number , i have a shell bash and when (for example) i do: y1=`expr \( 1/ 16 \)` it returns 0 and if i do y1=`expr \( 1.6 / 16 \)` it returns non numeric argument. is there another command for mathematic... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mips
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument not recognized as integer

I need to accept a number of arguments at command line and print it in reverse order i use eval `echo x=$1` to capture the argument #! /bin/sh counter=0 while do eval `echo x=$1` arg$counter=$x counter=`expr $counter + 1` shift done but the error keeps... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scmay
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add integer with expr?

i got a file called Marks The format of Marks is: 12345678 5 7 23456789 7 9 3 What can i do with a loop, read expr and echo command to produce a new file like below: 12345678:12 23456789:20 and also when we adding fewer than 3 value with expr, we need to change any null value for... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingming88
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr: non-numeric argument

Hi all, i am facing the error "expr: non-numeric argument" when i use the expr command. Following is the expression which i want to execute HR=$(echo `date +%H`) MIN=$(echo `date +%M`) TOT_MIN=`expr "$HR" \* 60+$MIN` | bc echo $TOT_MIN Here I am being reported with the error expr:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non-integer argument in expr

i wrote this simple shell script #!/bin/bash read N1 read N2 expr $N1 + $N2 it work fine in bash and i add it on xinetd for some test but when i try to use in with telnet i got this error : ehsan@debian:~$ telnet 192.168.1.4 1234 Trying 192.168.1.4... Connected to 192.168.1.4.... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: niasha
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr: An integer value was expected

Hi, I am trying to execute a simple script as below to compare a value from a file and copy that line based on a condition. while read line do code_check = `expr substr "$line" 6 1` if ; then echo "${line}" >> /temp/bill/push_updated.dat else echo "line ignored" fi done <... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkiran77
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting error in bash script; expr $a + 1: integer expression expected

Hi, I am new to shell/bash script. I am trying to run below script #!/bin/bash a=0 b=10 if then echo "a is equal to be" else echo "a is not equal to be" fi MAX=10 while do echo $a a='expr $a + 1' done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mallikgm
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expr: non-integer argument

This is my code.... It works correct, but does not work with 4 and 5. My program is about finding average. so when i run 4 5 it gives me error "expr: non-integer argument". But when i say sh average 45 67 it works. Whats wrong?how to fix it? sum=0 n=0 if then for i in $* do if ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL scripting: errorInfo=integer value too large to represent

The username is of the format : 123456789110000-1234@something.com With this below TCL procedure, I am trying add first and Sec Id and get third Id. I checked in online compiler and it seems to work and add. However, when I am running this in my lab, I get error as "integer value too large to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaibal_bp
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype

Hi, I tried to look up the issue i'm experiencing, but i'm confused what's wrong with my script. After executing the script I'm getting the following error expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype After some research, it seems that the problem relates to bc. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)