Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications waiting for ssh response for seconds Post 302266040 by Gee-Money on Tuesday 9th of December 2008 08:34:08 AM
Old 12-09-2008
Not sure if there is an SSH option for that, however, there is the 'netcat' utility, which you can connect to a certain post, and you can set a timeout.

For instance:

Code:
netcat -z -w <timeout in seconds> <host> <port>

So to check to see if ssh will respond withing 5 seconds, so the following:

Code:
netcat -z -w 5 host.example.com 22 || /bin/some_custom_alert

The '-z' option will make it disconnect as soon as it makes a connection to the port, and of course '-w' is to set the timeout in seconds.

If it does not connect, it will return a non-zero exit status, in which case, you would know to raise your alarm.

Hope this helps...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read-waiting for user response

Would there be any reason for why a 'read ans' would not wait for a user's response (i.e user has to hit a key to continue)? I know for sure that it is doing everything else in that part of my 'if' statement but it doesn't wait for me to hit a key before continuing. The strange thing is that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping and waiting

Hi Is it possible to have a script run in a loop (waiting for a change of state in the network interface), and if the loop continues for five minutes, to have it email the admin, and carry on in the loop? Here is my loop: #!/bin/bash STATE=`echo "show... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikie
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

waiting

I have a text file which contain all the parameters need for scheduled jobs, then this "control" script would be called everynight at certain time while read line do $myScript.sh $line & pid=$! i=`expr $i + 1` done < $list then I need to wait until all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do I handle ssh response with expect

I am trying to write an expect script that trys to telnet, if telnet fails, trys to ssh to a remote network devices. The script works fine until the following is received : spawn telnet 10.3.2.24 Trying 10.3.2.24... telnet: connect to address 10.3.2.24: Connection refused 10.3.2.24 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

not waiting

I have a script that runs Compressor and converts the file then I want it to inject the file with Flvtool2. My script works fine but the flvtool2 is starting too early. I have tried to put it in the background by putting a "&" sign at the end and then put a "wait" on a new line. Anyone have any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainegate
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

not waiting...why?

My shell script is not waiting. I right click on a file and say convert it to whatever and it runs this script. It converts it using Compressor but I want it to wait until it is 100% done before moving on and it is not waiting. I have tried to put it in the background and using "wait". I have tried... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainegate
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture RSA fingerprint from ssh response

Hi. I'm trying to automate access to an Amazon Web Services machine instance. What this means is that my script is trying to use ssh to connect to a new server every time. I know the RSA fingerprint of my new server through an out-of-band channel. I would like to capture the RSA fingerprint... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chorlton
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ssh error: Error reading response length from authentication socket

Hi - I am getting the error `Error reading response length from authentication socket' when I ssh from my cluster to another cluster, and then back to my cluster. It doesn't seem to affect anything, but it's just annoying that it always pops up and tends to confuse new users of the cluster. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpp6f
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to skip command if it is hanging while waiting for response

Hello, I have a script that contains the command "whois 1.2.3.4" Sometimes this command takes far too long to produce any output and as a result the rest of the script is not executed. Can anyone suggest a method so that if no output is produced after say 2 seconds the script skips that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: colinireland
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing input into a cmd line that's waiting for a response

Hi, I am writing a little script to update a parameters on JMQ. however the JMQ requires a "y" confirmation to be input as part of the cmd I am running. However I want run this script to offline with no input from a user. it works if a I create a file with with just y in it and pass that in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shropshirehobbi
3 Replies
SSLH(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  SSLH(1p)

NAME
sslh - Switch incoming connection between SSH and SSL/HTTPS servers SYNOPSIS
sslh [ -v ] [ -p [host:]port ] [ -t timeout ] [ --ssh [host:]port ] [ --ssl [host:]port ] DESCRIPTION
sslh is a simple script that lets you switch an incoming connection on a single port between distinct SSH and SSL/HTTPS servers. sslh listens for connections on a port and is able to redirect them either to an HTTPS web server or a SSH server. This lets one setup both a HTTPS web server and a SSH server and access them through the same host+port. OPTIONS
The program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes. -p, --port [host:]port The port the proxy will listen to. If no port is given, 443 is used by default. If no host is given, "localhost" is used by default. -s, --ssh [host:]port The SSH server which the SSH connections must be forwarded to. If omitted, the default is localhost:22. -l, --ssl, --https [host:]port The HTTPS server which the HTTPS connections must be forwarded to. If omitted, the default is localhost:443. -t, --timeout delay Timeout in seconds before a silent incoming connection is considered as a SSH connection. The number can be fractional. The default is 2seconds. -v, --verbose Verbose output. This option can be used several times for more verbose output. EXAMPLE OF USE
Is this tool actually useful? Yes. For example one can use it to access both a SSH server and a secure web server via a corporate proxy that only accepts to relay connections to port 443. Creating a tunnel that passes SSH connection through a CONNECT-enabled web proxy is easy with connect-tunnel (also included in the "Net::Proxy" distribution). The proxy will let both SSH and HTTPS connections out (since they all point to port 443), and the home server will connect those incoming connections to the appropriate server. This only requires to run the HTTPS server on a non standard port (not 443). TECHNICAL NOTE
How can this proxy find out what kind of protocol is using a TCP connection to port 443, without being connected (yet) to the server? We actually rely on a slight difference between the SSL and SSH protocols (found thanks to ethereal): SSH Once the TCP connection is established, the server speaks first, presenting itself by saying something like: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 Debian 1:3.6.1p2-1 SSL With SSL, it's always the client that speaks first. This means that sslh can be used with any pair of protocols/services that share this property (the client speaks first for one and the server speaks first for the other). AUTHORS
Original idea and C version Frederic Ple "<sslh@wattoo.org>". Perl versions Philippe 'BooK' Bruhat "<book@cpan.org>". SCRIPT HISTORY
Version 0.01 of the script was a quick hack designed in 2003 as a proof of concept. Version 0.02 (and higher) are based on "Net::Proxy", and included with the "Net::Proxy" distribution. Version 0.02 didn't work, though. Version 0.03 correctly initialised the "in" connector. Version 0.04 lets the proxy listen on any address (instead of "localhost", which is still the default). Thanks to Dieter Voegtli for spotting this. SEE ALSO
Net::Proxy, Net::Proxy::Connector::dual. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2003-2006, Philippe Bruhat. All rights reserved. LICENSE
This module is free software; you can redistribute it or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2009-10-18 SSLH(1p)