Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Displaying number of lines from file Post 302265975 by shivanete on Tuesday 9th of December 2008 04:40:17 AM
Old 12-09-2008
but p returning values with leading space. how could i avoid those leading space?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with displaying certain lines

suppose i have a file which contains this: 00 07 * * * /home/production/bin/xxx.ksh 00 08 * * * /home/production/bin/xyz.ksh 00 12 * * * /home/production/bin/tuv.ksh 30 06 * * * /home/production/bin/cde.ksh 30 10 * * * /home/production/bin/put.ksh 00 01 * * * /home/production/bin/lik.sh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooh
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Displaying specific lines in a file.

I'm trying to figure out how to display a certain line in a text file. I keep getting references to Tail and Head, and I know how these work, but i'm lost on how to find say the third out of the five lines and display only that. I thought maybe grep could help, but that doesn't seem likely. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Displaying Number with printf

I am trying to display a number with commas printf "%d\n" 323232 printf "%d\n" 1234567 I want the output to be: 323,232 1,234,567 I tried to change %d to other formats and could find the solution. any idea? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynixon
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying Number with printf

I am trying to display a number with commas printf "%d\n" 323232 printf "%d\n" 1234567 I want the output to be: 323,232 1,234,567 I tried to change %d to other formats and could find the solution. any idea? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynixon
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying lines of a file where the second field matches a pattern

Howdy. I know this is most likely possible using sed or awk or grep, most likely a combination of them together, but how would one go about running a grep like command on a file where you only try to match your pattern to the second field in a line, space delimited? Example: You are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number lines of file and assign variable to each number

I have a file with a list of config files numbered on the lefthand side 1-300. I need to have bash read each lines number and assign it to a variable so it can be chosen by the user called by the script later. Ex. 1 some data 2 something else 3 more stuff which number do you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Displaying specific lines from a CSV file

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Display from a csv file, birthdays that occur today. If there are no birthdays today, the next one in the year. 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: The csv file is ordered from older to younger (ie. the most recent... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adzi
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying lines of a file which have the highest number?

Hello Wondering if anybody may be able to advise on how I can filter the contents of the following file: <object_name>-<version> <Instance> GM_GUI_code.fmb-4 1 GM_GUI_code.fmb-5 1 GM_GUI_code.fmx-4 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying a number in binary using perl

printf FH2" 3'b%b : begin\n",$i; where i is an integer in the loop is displaying 3'b1 : begin expected output was 3'b001 : begin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding user name to file, and then displaying new line number

Hi all - I'm completely stumped by a script I'm working on... The short version is I have a file called 'lookup' and in it are hundreds of names (first and last). I have a script that basically allows the user to enter a name, and what I need to have happen is something like this: Record... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabster
8 Replies
strtoimax(3C)															     strtoimax(3C)

NAME
strtoimax(), strtoumax() - convert string to integer SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
or converts the character string pointed to by str to or representation, respectively. The string is scanned up to the first character inconsistent with the base. Leading ``white-space'' characters (as defined by in ctype(3C)) are ignored. If no conversion can take place, zero is returned. If base is greater than or equal to 2 and less than or equal to 36, it is used as the base for conversion. After an optional leading sign, leading zeros are ignored, and or is ignored if base is 16. If base is zero, the string itself determines the base as follows: after an optional leading sign, a leading zero indicates octal conver- sion; a leading or indicates hexadecimal conversion. Otherwise, decimal conversion is used. If the value of ptr is not a pointer to the character terminating the scan is returned in the location pointed to by ptr. If no integer can be formed, the location pointed to by ptr is set to str, and zero is returned. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, all functions return the converted value, if any. If the correct value would cause overflow: returns or (according to the sign of the value), and sets to returns and sets to For all other errors, zero is returned and is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
and fail and is set, if any of the following conditions are encountered: The value of base is not supported. The value to be returned would have caused overflow. AUTHOR
and were developed by HP. SEE ALSO
ctype(3C), strtod(3C), strtol(3C), scanf(3S), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
strtoimax(3C)