Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Script to search user id in /etc/passwd Post 302265523 by frank_rizzo on Sunday 7th of December 2008 09:08:51 PM
Old 12-07-2008
can you use the finger command?

Code:
$ whatis finger
finger               (1)  - user information lookup program

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User should not be allowed to change passwd

Hi Group, Can anyone assist me with this? I am on AIX 5.2 ML06. I create the user and assign a passwd. But I do not want the user to change the passwd at all. I like him/her to use the passwd that I have set for him/her. Any ideas would be highly appreciated!!! Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brookingsd
3 Replies

2. Solaris

passwd command search

Hi. When i execute which passwdit is showing /usr/bin/passwd, eventhough i set my path as PATH=/etc:$PATH i just checked the permission for the passwd under /usr/bin -r-sr-sr-x what exactly happening? and what is that s signifies Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahnazurs
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for specific user ID's from the passwd file

Hello, My issue is that I want to look for specific users that have their first and last initial followed by four numbers. For example: ab1234 I've already got the user ID's out of the passwd file more passwd | awk -F ":" '{print $1}' > userids I just need to know how to just pick... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How the /etc/passwd file is written when user does not have permission

Hi, /etc/passwd file has write permission only for the root user. Now when a normal user changes the its own password using passwd command, how this information has been written to the /etc/passwd file when the user is not having write permission to this file. ~santosh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh149
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Force user to change passwd on first login

Hello All, How to force user to change his login passwd on his first login in solaris 10 ? while adding user do we need to set the password in theis case?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining if user is local-user in /etc/passwd or LDAP user

Besides doing some shell-script which loops through /etc/passwd, I was wondering if there was some command that would tell me, like an enhanced version of getent. The Operating system is Solaris 10 (recent-ish revision) using Sun DS for LDAP. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

7. Programming

C++ - Problem in asking and checking user's passwd

This is the source code: #include <pwd.h> #include <iostream> #include <string.h> using namespace std; int main() { struct passwd *user; char login="alex", password="qwertyuiop"; if ((user= getpwnam(login)) == NULL) cout << "No such user\n"; else if... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
24 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching user alias's to their ID's in the passwd file

Hi, I've a user alias file in the below format.. I need to change all the ID's that come after the = sign (with some multiple ID's which are separated by comma's) to their respective users that are contained in the passwords file.. Whats the best way to go about this.. Some sort of sed command in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User info not present in passwd file

I have logged into a box with some userid,but in this box der is no entry for this userid in /etc/passwd file.this box is used by multiple users but none of them have their enteries in passwd file but for each user there is a directory in /home like for user1 /home/user1 for user2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dont want to mention user id passwd in shell script

Hi, i have one shell script which transfers files from one server to other server through FTP, but i can see login id and password is not mentioned. kindly help to understand the script.then how below script is working if login and password is not mentioned in script #!/bin/sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ni3b007
1 Replies
FINGERD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						FINGERD(8)

NAME
fingerd -- remote user information server SYNOPSIS
fingerd [-wulf] [-pL path] [-t timeout] DESCRIPTION
Fingerd is a simple daemon based on RFC1196 that provides an interface to the ``finger'' program at most network sites. The program is sup- posed to return a friendly, human-oriented status report on either the system at the moment or a particular person in depth. If the -w option is given, remote users will get an additional ``Welcome to ...'' banner which also shows some informations (e.g. uptime, operating system name and release) about the system the fingerd is running on. Some sites may consider this a security risk as it gives out information that may be useful to crackers. If the -u option is given, requests of the form ``finger @host'' are rejected. If the -l option is given, information about requests made is logged. This option probably violates users' privacy and should not be used on multiuser boxes. If the -f option is given, finger forwarding (user@host1@host2) is allowed. Useful behind firewalls, but probably not wise for security and resource reasons. The -p option allows specification of an alternate location for fingerd to find the ``finger'' program. The -L option is equivalent. The -t option specifies the time to wait for a request before closing the connection. A value of 0 waits forever. The default is 60 sec- onds. Starting and stopping the daemon is handled by systemd(1). Fingerd is not enabled by default after the installation. Its running state can be managed using systemctl(1) commands. If you need to specify some options to fingerd you should copy the finger@.service file from /lib/systemd/system to /etc/systemd/system and edit it there. The finger protocol consists mostly of specifying command arguments. The systemd(1) runs fingerd for TCP requests received on port 79. Once connected fingerd reads a single command line terminated by a <CRLF> which is passed to finger(1). It closes its connections as soon as all output is finished. If the line is empty (i.e. just a <CRLF> is sent) then finger returns a ``default'' report that lists all people logged into the system at that moment. This feature is blocked by the -u option. If a user name is specified (e.g. eric<CRLF>) then the response lists more extended information for only that particular user, whether logged in or not. Allowable ``names'' in the command line include both ``login names'' and ``user names''. If a name is ambiguous, all pos- sible derivations are returned. SEE ALSO
finger(1), systemd(1), systemctl(1) RESTRICTIONS
Connecting directly to the server from a TIP or an equally narrow-minded TELNET-protocol user program can result in meaningless attempts at option negotiation being sent to the server, which will foul up the command line interpretation. HISTORY
The finger daemon appeared in 4.3BSD. Linux NetKit (0.17) August 29, 1996 Linux NetKit (0.17)