Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris newbie, need help
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris newbie, need help Post 302265518 by GeekMasterFlash on Sunday 7th of December 2008 08:26:49 PM
Old 12-07-2008
Thanks, you are a life saver.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie on Solaris 8

Hello everyone, I just installed Solaris 8 on an intel machine. I am having problems with the network adapter which is not being recognized by the device configuration asistant despite it being listed in the Solaris 8 Hardware Compatibility list. This card is a Linksys LNE100TX and it is the only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdevarie
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris - Newbie need help

Hi everybody. Sorry my English, first. Im a Solaris newbie. I want to learn Solaris. I've a Solaris 9 CD. I try to setup into my PC (Dell, PIV 2.8GHz, RAM 256Mb, HDD 40Gb), but it can't boot from the CD? What will I do to make it bootable and start the installation. Please tell me the format of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imyourfriend
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris netstat. Newbie.

Hi, I currently have two processes running on my Solaris server that are hogging the cpu. I am confident that these two processes are caused by remote users logged into the oracle database on the server. What I need to know is how to get the corresponding ip address associated with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Installing en_US.UTF-8 on Solaris 10. Newbie.

Hi, I am looking to install en_US.UTF-8 on to a solaris 10 Sparc server. Is it possible to install this character set from the iso image? I have an iso image only (sol_10_u.iso) on CD. I have used the command below but with no success. Any pointers to get this installed would be greatly... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris Newbie questions...

Hello everyone, I am brand spanking new to both Solaris and Unix. I thought I would give it a go after buying a SB2500 off ebay for a few hundred dollars. I am having some issues that I am not sure how to correct, and I am wondering if I can get a few pointers? The first one is that my system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GeekMasterFlash
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris Newbie - I just want a minimal install

I'm coming from BSD/Linux where I went from having to install gnome to now running *nix boxes with just the CLI. I love it but now I want to try my hand at solaris. I'm installing solaris 10 in a VM but I am kinda shocked at the install size. I would do the "core" option but I dont know if I'll... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdotsen
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Newbie for solaris 10 and zfs

I have a Sun T2000 machines and require to reinstall the OS (Solaris 10 05/09). During installation, it prompts me about using UFS/ZFS and I'd chosen ZFS and choose to separate /root and /var. After installation, it displays the following: Filesystem kbytes used avail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donaldfung
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail Server on solaris (newbie)

Hello to all, My company has installed CW LMS 3 on a Solaris 10 server. I want to configure the system as a mail server, so that it sends an e-mail when a network incident occurs. I have created a user account and I have configured Thunderbird Mozilla to retrieve the e-mails. I have configured... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kadar
0 Replies

9. Solaris

newbie - learn Solaris 10 or 11?

Hello, I looking for becoming a Solaris system administrator. Background: I consider myself an entry-level Linux system administrator. I don't know if I start my studies with Solaris 10 or 11. Maybe Solaris 11 because it's the new thing and the future, and Solaris 10 because since Solaris is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertoridolfi
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Newbie to Solaris needs HELP!!!

Hello there, Am new to Solaris and want to find out what textbooks you can recommend me as a first time user? I have read the Sun Certified System Administrator for Solaris 10 Study Guide (Exams 310-200 & 310-202) by Paul Sanghera but other people say its outdated and not a good book. I also have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: runell
3 Replies
XSetScreenSaver(3X11)													     XSetScreenSaver(3X11)

NAME
XSetScreenSaver, XForceScreenSaver, XActivateScreenSaver, XResetScreenSaver, XGetScreenSaver - manipulate the screen saver SYNOPSIS
XSetScreenSaver(display, timeout, interval, prefer_blanking, allow_exposures) Display *display; int timeout, interval; int prefer_blanking; int allow_exposures; XForceScreenSaver(display, mode) Display *display; int mode; XActivateScreenSaver(display) Display *display; XResetScreenSaver(display) Display *display; XGetScreenSaver(display, timeout_return, interval_return, prefer_blanking_return, allow_exposures_return) Display *display; int *timeout_return, *interval_return; int *prefer_blanking_return; int *allow_exposures_return; ARGUMENTS
Specifies the screen save control values. You can pass DontAllowExposures, AllowExposures, or DefaultExposures. Returns the current screen save control value (DontAllowExposures, AllowExposures, or DefaultExposures). Specifies the connection to the X server. Specifies the interval, in seconds, between screen saver alterations. Returns the interval between screen saver invocations. Specifies the mode that is to be applied. You can pass ScreenSaverActive or ScreenSaverReset. Specifies how to enable screen blanking. You can pass DontPreferBlank- ing, PreferBlanking, or DefaultBlanking. Returns the current screen blanking preference (DontPreferBlanking, PreferBlanking, or Default- Blanking). Specifies the timeout, in seconds, until the screen saver turns on. Returns the timeout, in seconds, until the screen saver turns on. DESCRIPTION
Timeout and interval are specified in seconds. A timeout of 0 disables the screen saver (but an activated screen saver is not deactivated), and a timeout of -1 restores the default. Other negative values generate a BadValue error. If the timeout value is nonzero, XSetScreenSaver enables the screen saver. An interval of 0 disables the random-pattern motion. If no input from devices (keyboard, mouse, and so on) is generated for the specified number of timeout seconds once the screen saver is enabled, the screen saver is activated. For each screen, if blanking is preferred and the hardware supports video blanking, the screen simply goes blank. Otherwise, if either exposures are allowed or the screen can be regenerated without sending Expose events to clients, the screen is tiled with the root window background tile randomly re-origined each interval seconds. Otherwise, the screens' state do not change, and the screen saver is not acti- vated. The screen saver is deactivated, and all screen states are restored at the next keyboard or pointer input or at the next call to XForceScreenSaver with mode ScreenSaverReset. If the server-dependent screen saver method supports periodic change, the interval argument serves as a hint about how long the change period should be, and zero hints that no periodic change should be made. Examples of ways to change the screen include scrambling the col- ormap periodically, moving an icon image around the screen periodically, or tiling the screen with the root window background tile, ran- domly re-origined periodically. XSetScreenSaver can generate a BadValue error. If the specified mode is ScreenSaverActive and the screen saver currently is deactivated, XForceScreenSaver activates the screen saver even if the screen saver had been disabled with a timeout of zero. If the specified mode is ScreenSaverReset and the screen saver currently is enabled, XForceScreenSaver deactivates the screen saver if it was activated, and the activation timer is reset to its initial state (as if device input had been received). XForceScreenSaver can generate a BadValue error. The XActivateScreenSaver function activates the screen saver. The XResetScreenSaver function resets the screen saver. The XGetScreenSaver function gets the current screen saver values. DIAGNOSTICS
Some numeric value falls outside the range of values accepted by the request. Unless a specific range is specified for an argument, the full range defined by the argument's type is accepted. Any argument defined as a set of alternatives can generate this error. SEE ALSO
Xlib -- C Language X Interface XSetScreenSaver(3X11)