Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: process status
Top Forums Programming process status Post 302265438 by nicos on Sunday 7th of December 2008 01:21:30 PM
Old 12-07-2008
process status

hello everybody!!
i want to post a question!
is there any way to get process status using C commands?
To be more specific, i want to know whether a process is running or is stop or killed.

thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Process status display

On AIX 5.2, I use "ps -ef " command to display the process status, the field of command looks like: , the detailed contents are: # ps -ef |grep rtesfmrt Display: osa 32455 1 0 18:20 - 1:57 The origianl format shoud be: osa 32455 1 0 18:20 - 1:57 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Getting status of a signal in process?

Hi all, How can a process be aware of the signals it handles. I looked at available signal API, but couldn't find any help. If a process defines it own handler for a signal, the default handler for that signal becomes overridden. I am interested in getting to know the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluehive
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

List Process with their Status.

Hi all, How can I get the list of all the processes that are either Orphan or Zombie or Running or Ended or Stopped ? Please suggest !! Thanks. Varun:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Status of a Linux process

All, I have fair amount of knowledge about shell scripting, but only liitle on system administration. I would like to know how to analyze whether the particular linux process is alive or not ? If it is alive, will it affect the performace of other process ?. Also is it still consuming... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Check the process Status and do something

Hi we have weblogic deployed under Linux Enterprise 5 . Now i want to write a script that checks if weblogic is running or not I have found that weblogic uses Java as process . Can i do this way : my Script File : Echo Checking Status if then echo Server Running else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Pavanv
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the process status

Hi, I have a cron job which runs every ten minutes, now i hav to check the process whether it is running or not only once and then this should be sent to a log file.. crontab : 00,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * a process check ps = 'ps -ef |grep a ' if then echo " Success" >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NehaKrish
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process status for NOHUP command

Hi, I have run a shell script as a background process using 'nohup' command. I want to see the process id of this, so that I will be able to kill it later on when required. I tried to collect these details using 'ps' command and could not view this information. How do we get this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dev_Dev
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to exit status of a piped process ???

Hi, I've searched the related threads both in this forum and others in google and found the solution to be working too in most of the places. But somehow it's not working for me. $cmd | tee -a $LOGFILE & pid=$! wait ${pid} ret=$? echo "$ret" I want the exit status of the $cmd.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwini.engr07
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I learn the status of a process

how can I learn the status of a process (sleeping, running or ready.) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merturk
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check status of process

Hi All, Have a query How to check for a process and if down start it , try if for 2 times and its not starting don't do it My code is working to some extent but while starting try starting both times. Please advise , whats wrong here ? if you have any other approach please do share. My... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhaydas
1 Replies
stopped(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						stopped(7)

NAME
       stopped - event signalling that a job has stopped

SYNOPSIS
       stopped JOB=JOB INSTANCE=INSTANCE RESULT=RESULT [PROCESS=PROCESS] [EXIT_STATUS=STATUS] [EXIT_SIGNAL=SIGNAL] [ENV]...

DESCRIPTION
       The  stopped event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon when an instance of a job has stopped.  The JOB environment variable contains
       the job name, and the INSTANCE environment variable contains the instance name which will be empty for single-instance jobs.

If the job was stopped normally, the RESULT environment variable will be ok, otherwise if the job was stopped because it has failed it will
       be failed.

When  the  job  has  failed, the process that failed will be given in the PROCESS environment variable.	This may be pre-start, post-start,
       main, pre-stop or post-stop; it may also be the special value respawn to indicate that the job was  stopped  because  it  hit  the  respawn
       limit.

Finally	in  the  case  of  a  failed job, one of either EXIT_STATUS or EXIT_SIGNAL may be given to indicate the cause of the stop.  Either
       EXIT_STATUS will contain the exit status code of the process, or EXIT_SIGNAL will contain the name of the signal that the process received.
       The  normal  exit  job  configuration stanza can be used to prevent particular exit status values or signals resulting in a failed job, see
       init(5) for more information.

If neither EXIT_STATUS or EXIT_SIGNAL is given for a failed process, it is because the process failed  to  spawn  (for  example,  file  not
       found).	See the system logs for the error.

init(8)	emits this event as an informational signal, services and tasks started or stopped by this event will do so in parallel with other
       activity.  It is typically combined with the starting(7) event by services when inserting themselves as a dependency.

Job configuration files may use the export stanza to export environment variables from their own environment into the stopped  event.   See
       init(5) for more details.

EXAMPLE
       A service that wishes to be running whenever another service would be running, started before and stopped after it, might use:

start on starting apache
	      stop on stopped apache

A task that must be run after another task or service has been stopped might use:

start on stopped postgresql

SEE ALSO
       starting(7) started(7) stopping(7) init(5)

Upstart 							    2009-07-09								stopped(7)