Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need sed command to read a path and set to variable Post 302265090 by tret on Friday 5th of December 2008 03:10:02 PM
Old 12-05-2008
need sed command to read a path and set to variable

I have a variable called PATH that contains a path
example: /Users/rtipton/Desktop/testusers/test

I need a sed command to set a variable called USER to the last directory name in that path

PATH="/Users/rtipton/Desktop/testusers/test"

and from that PATH i need USER to = test

I know sed can do this but sed usage is still a bit of a mystery to me Smilie

Thanks,
Rob

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set Path variable in c shell

I set my path environment variable in c shell, using the syntax below setenv PATH "${PATH}:/usr/local:/usr/local/bin" and placed this in $HOME/.login $HOME/.cshrc and /etc/.login /etc/.cshrc but when I issued echo $PATH or set command the output does not reflect changes made to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How does the PATH and MANPATH environment variable get set?

Hi, How does the PATH and MANPATH environment variable get set? I want to add "/opt/SUNWspro/bin" to the search path for all the users. Where can I access this variable. I know in my home directory, depend on which shell I use, there are files such as .profile and .cshrc which I can edit to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set variable PATH

Hi, i know that this topic discussed for many times but although i had researched them i couldnt succeed in my problem. i am following a step-by-step instruction guide and must do the following: ------------- To ensure access, set the path PATH $ORACLE_HOME/perl/bin:$PATH and set the Perl... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merope
2 Replies

4. AIX

How to set path for the EDITOR variable?

For some reason something has changing in my AIX environment where when I type: ACLEDIT filename ...I get: 3002-104 acledit: EDITOR environment variable must be full pathname I know I need to reset the EDITOR variables path to /usr/bin/vi but I can't remember the syntax anyone? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PATH variable set incorrectly?

I've noted that in order to use commands like ifconfig, I have to prefix the commands with the directory. /etc/profile shows that the paths should be part of the PATH environment variable; any idea where the bug is? :confused: # /etc/profile # System wide environment and startup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jon80
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Path a variable to sed that includes a path

Hi I'm trying to select text between two lines, I'm using sed to to this, but I need to pass variables to it. For example start="BEGIN /home/mavkoup/data" end="END" sed -n -e '/${start}/,/${end}/g' doesn't work. I've tried double quotes as well. I think there's a problem with the / in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavkoup
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to set my PATH variable

Hello All, Hope you can understand my problem from the below code. $ cat ~/.profile PS1=`whoami`@`hostname`':$PWD $ ' export PATH="$PATH:.:/logarchive/utility/util:/usr/sbin:" $ echo $PATH /usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:.:/usr/sbin: $ echo $SHELL /usr/bin/ksh ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse output path to set variable

I am looking to parse a text file output and set variables based on what is cropped from the parsing. Below is my script I am looking to add this feature too. All it does is scan a certain area of users directories for anyone using up more than X amount of disk space. It then writes to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: es760
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

How to set PATH variable for all HP-UX users when they login using ssh?

Hello friends, I need to set PATH variable for all HP-UX users. I tried to implement it using /etc/profile and /etc/sshrc both none of them work. I don't see sshrc file anywhere. Please advise! TIA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a file and set path in variable?

Hi Folks - I was wondering if you could help convert batch code in Linux? For instance, I use the following piece of code in DOS to find a file/executable, and then the FULL path as a variable. ::-- If startMaxl.exe exists, set full path --:: for %%D in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
4 Replies
XDG-USER-DIRS-UPD(1)						   User Commands					      XDG-USER-DIRS-UPD(1)

NAME
xdg-user-dirs-update - Update XDG user dir configuration SYNOPSIS
xdg-user-dirs-update [OPTION...] [--set NAME PATH...] DESCRIPTION
xdg-user-dirs-update updates the current state of the users user-dirs.dir. If none existed before then one is created based on the system default values, or falling back to the old non-translated filenames if such directories exists. The list of old directories used are: ~/Desktop, ~/Templates and ~/Public. If an old configuration exists it is updated with any new default directories. Additionally, any configured directories that point to non-existing locations are reset by pointing then to the users home directory. This typically happens when the users removed the directory, so they likely don't want to use it anymore. On the first run a user-dirs.locale file is created containing the locale that was used for the translation. This is used later by gui tools like xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update to detect if the locale was changed, letting you to migrate from the old names. xdg-user-dirs-update is normally run automatically at the start of a user session to update the XDG user dirs according to the users locale. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --help Print help output and exit. --force Update existing user-dirs.dir, but force a full reset. This means: Don't reset nonexisting directories to HOME, rather recreate the directory. Never use backwards compatible non-translated names. Always recreate user-dirs.locale. --dummy-output PATH Write the configuration to PATH instead of the default configuration file. Also, no directories are created. --set NAME PATH Sets the XDG user dir with the given name. NAME should be one of the following: DESKTOP DOWNLOAD TEMPLATES PUBLICSHARE DOCUMENTS MUSIC PICTURES VIDEOS PATH must be an absolute path, e.g. $HOME/Some/Directory. FILES
The XDG user dirs configuration is stored in the user-dirs.dir file in the location pointed to by the XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable. ENVIRONMENT
The XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable determines where the user-dirs.dirs file is located. SEE ALSO
xdg-user-dir(1), user-dirs.dirs(5), user-dirs.defaults(5), user-dirs.conf(5). XDG
XDG-USER-DIRS-UPD(1)