Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep'ing for specific directories, and using the output to move files Post 302265086 by JayC89 on Friday 5th of December 2008 03:00:21 PM
Old 12-05-2008
grep'ing for specific directories, and using the output to move files

Hello, this is probably another really simple tasks for most of you gurus, however I am trying to make a script which takes an input, greps a specific file for that input, prints back to screen the results (which are directory names) and then be able to use the directory names to move files. Something like;

Code:
read -p "Enter Comp ID: " id

grep $id /usr/local/test/service/bin/services.sh | grep DEST_PREFIX | grep -v "#"| awk -F/ '{print $2}' | sort -u > clients

cp /data/new/* /var/tmp/"$clients"/inbound

So basically everything in the /data/new directory will get copied to all the folders the grep results bring back - if that makes sence.

Can anyone advise on the best way of doing so?

Thank you in advanced.
JayC89

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep'ing for text within a bunch of files...?

I have, say, a dozen files, and I want to grep for a string of text within them. I don't remember the exact syntax, but let me give it a shot and show you an idea here... find . -type f -exec grep thisword {} \; ...and there's a way to put more than one grep into the statement, so it will tell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kitykity
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing and sed'ing chunks in bash... need help on speeding up a log parser.

I have a file that is 20 - 80+ MB in size that is a certain type of log file. It logs one of our processes and this process is multi-threaded. Therefore the log file is kind of a mess. Here's an example: The logfile looks like: "DATE TIME - THREAD ID - Details", and a new file is created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elinenbe
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe'ing grep output to awk

This script is supposed to find out if tomcat is running or not. #!/bin/sh if netstat -a | grep `grep ${1}: /tomcat/bases | awk -F: '{print $3}'` > /dev/null then echo Tomcat for $1 running else echo Tomcat for $1 NOT running fi the /tomcat/bases is a file that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggy25
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop to move files in different directories

Hi, I have various log files in different paths. e.g. a/b/c/d/e/server.log a/b/c/d/f/server.log a/b/c/d/g/server.log a/b/c/h/e/server.log a/b/c/h/f/server.log a/b/c/h/g/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log and above these have an archive folder... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: acc01
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively move directories along with files/specific files

I would like to transfer all files ending with .log from /tmp and to /tmp/archive (using find ) The directory structure looks like :- /tmp a.log b.log c.log /abcd d.log e.log When I tried the following command , it movies all the log files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move multipe files to corresponding directories

Hi, In a parent directory there are several files in the form IDENTIFIER1x IDENTIFIER1.yyy IDENTIFIER1_Z, etc IDENTIFIER2x IDENTIFIER2.yyy IDENTIFIER2_Z, etc IDENTIFIER3x IDENTIFIER3.yyy, IDENTIFIER3_Z, etcIn the same parent directory there are corresponding directories named... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spirospap
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running program and output files in specific directories

I have been running a program mseed2sac using the following command cd IV find . -type f -exec /swadmin/mseed2sac '{}' \; The problem is that I end up with a lot of files in directory IV. Instead I would like to select the designator HHZ, create a directory IV.SAC and all the files output... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move several files into specific directories with a loop

Hello, I'm a first time poster looking for help in scripting a task in my daily routine. I am new in unix but i am attracted to its use as a mac user. Bear with me... I have several files (20) that I manually drag via the mouse into several named directories over a network. I've used rsync... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: SonnyClark
14 Replies