Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fork and stdin
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers fork and stdin Post 302264972 by otheus on Friday 5th of December 2008 08:31:55 AM
Old 12-05-2008
Q1: Right. On some systems and in some circumstances, both parent and child indeed get the lines randomly. I've seen instances of this when background process and foreground process were both opening the tty for input. Crazy.

Q2: Perform a flush() after each printf. That might change things.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stdin

hi, how does a program know whether some data are available from stdin? I would like to make a program which could read its data from stdin and _if_there_is_nothing_at_stdin_ from a file which name is given as an argument. If there is nothing in stdin and no filename is given as argument,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marquis
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

stdin device on HP

How can I access the standard-in device in HP-UX? I am trying to automate sftp on an HP-UX system. On solaris I can just do: sftp -b /dev/fd/0 remotehost <<EOF cd pub ascii get filename.txt bye EOF (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect STDIN

can you redirect STDIN with command arguments? I have tried this approach: # ./script -option <argument1> <argument2> 0<$2 # $2: ambiguous redirect Is this possible? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

4. Programming

How to write to stdin of another program (program A -> [stdin]program B)

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question: ---------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
1 Replies

5. Programming

C++ How to use pipe() & fork() with stdin and stdout to another program

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question:... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write to stdin of another program (program A -> [stdin]program B)

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question: ---------... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdin from fd 3-9?

Hi I'm trying to do something on the bash command line that I will later put into a bash shell script. I'm trying to take a program that reads stdin (using getline) and be able to keep it running in the background and fire "commands" to it. So what I thought I should do was to try taking... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niceguyeddie
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirection stdin

Bonjour, Mon application en C sous linux tourne en redirigeant stdin vers un fichier. Exemple; $appli1 <file1. PB: Je voudrais temporairement redonner la main au user sur le clavier. Alors je pensais ajouter system("appli2"); dans appli1. Dans son main() , appli2() fait seulement un... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cypleen
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stdin redirection

Hello, my C application under unix runs in redirecting stdin to a file. Example:$appli1 <file1. This application waits often on a scanf(). But I would temporarely reassign stdin at the keyboard for waiting a user's answer. So I thought to add system("appli2"); in the code of appli1. In its... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cypleen
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDIN-perl

Good morning! How do I make the info that someone inputs from @userArray = <STDIN>, a new array? @userArray = <STDIN>; while () { chomp; last if ! /\d/; push(@userArray,$_); } my($sum,$avg) = &sumIt(@userArray); print "Total:$sum\nAverage:$avg\n"; Im... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
2 Replies
OPENPTY(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						OPENPTY(3)

NAME
openpty, login_tty, forkpty -- tty utility functions LIBRARY
System Utilities Library (libutil, -lutil) SYNOPSIS
#include <util.h> int openpty(int *amaster, int *aslave, char *name, struct termios *termp, struct winsize *winp); int login_tty(int fd); pid_t forkpty(int *amaster, char *name, struct termios *termp, struct winsize *winp); DESCRIPTION
The openpty(), login_tty(), and forkpty() functions perform manipulations on ttys and pseudo-ttys. The openpty() function finds an available pseudo-tty and returns file descriptors for the master and slave in amaster and aslave. If name is non-null, the filename of the slave is returned in name. If termp is non-null, the terminal parameters of the slave will be set to the val- ues in termp. If winp is non-null, the window size of the slave will be set to the values in winp. The login_tty() function prepares for a login on the tty fd (which may be a real tty device, or the slave of a pseudo-tty as returned by openpty()) by creating a new session, making fd the controlling terminal for the current process, setting fd to be the standard input, out- put, and error streams of the current process, and closing fd. The forkpty() function combines openpty(), fork(), and login_tty() to create a new process operating in a pseudo-tty. The file descriptor of the master side of the pseudo-tty is returned (to the parent process only) in amaster. The filename of the slave is returned (to both the parent and child processes) in name if name is non-null. The termp and winp parameters, if non-null, will determine the terminal attributes and window size of the slave side of the pseudo-tty. RETURN VALUES
If a call to openpty(), login_tty(), or forkpty() is not successful, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. Otherwise, openpty(), login_tty(), and the child process of forkpty() return 0, and the parent process of forkpty() returns the process ID of the child process. FILES
/dev/[pt]ty[p-zP-T][0-9a-zA-Z] ERRORS
openpty() will fail if: [ENOENT] There are no available ttys. [EPERM] The caller was not the superuser and the ptm(4) device is missing or not configured. login_tty() will fail if ioctl() fails to set fd to the controlling terminal of the current process. forkpty() will fail if either openpty() or fork() fails. SEE ALSO
fork(2) BSD
November 28, 2008 BSD