Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Handling "command not found" exception Post 302264818 by ddreggors on Friday 5th of December 2008 01:11:11 AM
Old 12-05-2008
I have seen also admins setting aliases to the correct command:

alias cet="cat"

so when a user types

$ cet ~/somefile

it will actually preform a "cat ~/somefile"

This is quite user specific however and must be changed for each user based on which commands they are more prone to "fat finger".

userA:
alias la="ls"

userB:
alias cet="cat"

userC:
alias cs="cd"

or use the "One to rule them all" Lord of the Rings mentality and place ALL of these aliases into one place "/etc/profile".

Another good approach if you use bash or any shell that can use tab completion really, is to USE tab completion!

so typing

ca<tab>

will list the commands/files that you can use..
EXAMPLE:
$ ce<tab>
certcgi certmgr certtool certutil cervisia

$ cat<tab>
cat catchsegv

Using this method will not only solve 99% of all "fat fingered" commands it can cut down on your typing by 50% or more most of the time.

take for example the command:

# cat /usr/local/bin/dosomestuff.sh

assuming that in the /usr/local/bin folder there is only 1 or 2 files starting with d and nothing starting with do other than our file...

# cat /u<tab>lo<tab>b<tab>do<tab>

reduces the characters you have typed from 33 to 15!

Last edited by ddreggors; 12-05-2008 at 02:24 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why emacs caused "command not found" error

I installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 on my PC. When i typed 'emacs' on the console, "command not found" error occurrd. Why. :mad: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cy163
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"-bash: sqlldr: command not found"

hi all, here i am trying to run one control file. but getting "-bash: sqlldr: command not found" error :confused: the code is given below. sqlldr $db_username/$db_password@$db_sid control=$loading_path/load_to_table.ctl log=loading.log can anybody help me in fixing the issue? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinayakatj56
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to distinguish between "command not found" and "command with no result"

system() call imeplemented in solaris is such a way that: Command not found - return code 1 Command executed successfully without Output - return code 1 how to distinguish between these two based on return code in a c - file? Can you help on this ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iitmadhu
5 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

What's happens with my thread about "-bash: ELF: command not found "?

Hi, Today, I've submitted a new tread in "Shell Programming and Scripting" forum, with title "-bash: ELF: command not found ". However, this thread has disappear. Can somebody give me an explanation? Regards. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sonia_
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Command not found" doing a while loop in bash/shell

i=0 numberofproducts=${#urls} #gets number of entries in array called "urls" numberofproductsminusone=`expr $numberofproducts - 1` #-subtract by one while do wget ${urls} i=$(( $i + 1 )) sleep 10 done I'm getting an error ./scrape: line 22: [0: command not found that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script giving "Command Not found"

Hello Geeks, Greetings...I have the following script: #!/usr/bin/bash #Script to generate number of active PDP context & calculate PDP activation #failurefrom EPG-M #Script written by Gbenga Adigun #September 12, 2013 username="xxxxxx" password="xxxxxxxxx" HOSTS=( ggsn01... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: infinitydon
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problem on SQLplus command ""bash: sqlplus: command not found""

Hi all, i face an error related to my server ""it's running server"" when i use sqlplus command $ sqlplus bash: sqlplus: command not found the data base is up and running i just need to access the sqlplus to import the dump file as a daily backup. i already check the directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: clerck
4 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)