Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting list quantity of files by file types Post 302264603 by dorcas on Thursday 4th of December 2008 09:52:00 AM
Old 12-04-2008
Thank you so much!

That is exactly what I was trying to hammer together for several days!

I have two follow-ups: I want this to recursively go to subdirectories also - I experimented with your script a bit adding -R to the initial ls command but the results were not encouraging - would it be better to have another sh script that goes through the directory tree and calls this one at each directory?

Also the directories I'm dealing with have many dir names with spaces in them and this script is running the ls on just the part of the dir name before the space - again I did try some things and I'm guessing that the change needed is in this bit but I can't quite grasp it:

ls -l | grep "^d" | awk '{print $9}' | grep -v "^\." >P_WORK_DIR

this is getting all dir names and the awk is printing what? then that last grep is removing the "\." from the name?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find directory with 2 types of files

Trying to use the find command to find any directory which contains a file ending in .zip AND a file ending in .o I'm having trouble specifying multiple files as criteria and have can't seem to figure it out from Unix in a Nutshell and Google. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

selection of files based on its types

Daily we are getting some datafiles to our unix server location FTPIN. Incoming File names will be present in the location "/xyz/test/" as below: "infile_A1_YYYYMMDD", "infile_A2_YYYYMMDD", "infile_B1_YYYYMMDD", "infile_C1_YYYYMMDD" "infile_C2_YYYYMMDD" Where A, B and C are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicates from multuple files with 2 diff types of files

I need to compare 2 diff type of files and find out the duplicate after comparing each types of files: Type 1 file name is like: file1.abc (the extension abc could any 3 characters but I can narrow it down or hardcode for 10/15 combinations). The other file is file1.bcd01abc (the extension... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricky007
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Bug: A script to compile two types of data files into two temporary files

Dear other forum members, I'm writing a script for my homework, but I'm scratching all over my head and still can't figure out what I did wrong. Please help me. I just started to learn about bash scripting, and I appreciate if anyone of you can point out my errors. I thank you in advance. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilove2smoke
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep with quantity

Hello, is there a way to find a list of all files in my folder that have 5 instances of the symbol | ?? grep "|" *.* would give me all files that have one isntance of | Is there a way to modify this to find files with 5 or more instances of the symbol ?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juliette salexa
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove two types of files from a directory

Hi All, i need to move two types of files from a directory. I have used the below command to find the files from the directory.. SOURCE_DIR="some directory path" TARGET_DIR="Target Dir" Datestamp=Date_format find $SOURCE_DIR \( -name "*.log" -o -name "*.out" ) - exec ls -1 {} \; now i... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a single "find" cmd to search for multiple file types and output individual files

Hi All, I am new here but I have a scripting question that I can't seem to figure out with the "find" cmd. What I am trying to do is to only have to run a single find cmd parsing the directories and output the different file types to induvidual files and I have been running into problems.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swaters
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List file types

Hello everyone - I have a task of listing files from a directory together with their type. I tried using ls -l | file -b or different versions of that but that did not work. I will need this to be in a C shell script that will list the file name, size and type from a directory. I can do... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrianvas12
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursive grep with only certain types of files

Can I please have some ideas on how to do a recursive grep with certain types of files? The file types I want to use are *.c and *.java. I know this normally works with all files. grep -riI 'scanner' /home/bob/ 2>/dev/null Just not sure how to get it to work *.c and *.java files. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting total files with different file types in each folder

Trying to count total files with different file types with thousands of files in each folder. Since some files do not have extensions I have to use below criteria. Count Total Files starting with --> "^ERROR" Count Total Files starting with --> "^Runtime" Count Everything else or files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
3 Replies
newinv(1)						      General Commands Manual							 newinv(1)

NAME
newinv - Updates distribution kit master inventory SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/newinv mi-file input-path... OPERANDS
The pathname of the master inventory file to be processed. If no master inventory file exists, you must create an empty one before using the newinv command. The name of the product hierarchy to be scanned for files belonging in the inventory. All files and directories found below the input-path are processed as belonging in the inventory. DESCRIPTION
The newinv command interactively maintains the master inventory files used for producing distribution kits in setld format. The program updates the master inventory for a product when changes are made to the hierarchy of files that are to be packaged in the subsets which constitute the product. The product hierarchy is scanned to produce a list of component path names relative to input-path. The list of pathnames is processed against the mi-file to produce a list of files that have been removed from the product hierarchy and a list of files that have been added. The user is then given an opportunity to intervene and direct the inventory maintenance by editing these lists. The user is placed in the editor with each list available for editing. The editor used is the one specified by the EDITOR environment variable. If EDITOR is not set, vi is used. When editing the list of files that have been removed from the product, the user is expected to verify that the removals were intentional and confirm the intent by removing the associated records from the file. When editing the list of added files, the user is expected to provide options and subset information for each new file, transforming the elements of the list into master inventory records. To produce a new copy of the master inventory file, both of these lists are merged with the records for the files which existed in the pre- vious version and are still included. RESTRICTIONS
The default text editor, if not specified in $EDITOR, is /usr/ucb/vi. Files in the product hierarchy cannot be excluded from the master inventory. Files can be blocked from being kitted in the final distribu- tion kit by setting the subset field of the master inventory record to a minus sign (-). ERRORS
The mi-file specified on the command line cannot be found. The input-path directory specified on the command line does not exist. EXAMPLES
To update the hypothetical master inventory file OAT100.mi from the hierarchy beginning at /var/kits/input, type: newinv OAT100.mi /var/kits/input FILES
Backup copy of master inventory The list of files missing from the product The list of files new to the product Intermediate join file List of all files in the product SEE ALSO
invcutter(1), kits(1), vi(1), setld(8) stl_mi(4) environ(5) Guide to Preparing Product Kits newinv(1)