Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove special characters from string Post 302264540 by Wolfclaw on Thursday 4th of December 2008 05:45:15 AM
Old 12-04-2008
for some reason its working with single quotes in the command line arguments. I dont know why this is though *shrugs*

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove special and unicode characters

Hi, How do I remove the lines where special characters or Unicode characters appear? The following query does work but I wonder if there is a better way. cat test.txt | egrep -v '\)|#|,|&|-|\(|\\|\/|\.' The following lines show that my query is incomplete. Warning: The word "*Khan" is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove directory that has special Characters

Hi All, I have a script written that creates a new directory within the shell program and if a parameter isn't passed in, it creates a strange directory name by mistake. So I have a directory like "-_12" and I am unable to remove it. I tried removing it using double quote and many others. I have... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: datherriault
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove special characters from each line?

Hello, Is there a simpler way to remove special characters (color codes) from each lines in a log file? I use sed like in the example below but I think there should be a more simple way to achieve the same result: $ cat -vet file1 ^, , , , Maybe to convert the file somehow? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormark
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Remove Special Characters

Dear Members, We have a file which contains some special characters. I need to replace these special character by a new line character(\n). The Special character is \x85. I am not sure what this character means and how we can remove it. Any inputs are greatly appreciated. Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files with special characters - how to remove

Hi, I have a directory that has a file which contained special characters in the filename. Can someone please advise how to remove the file, preferably with a rm -i ? Thanks in advance. Listing is as below: {oracle}> ls -1b bplog.bkup.001 bplog.bkup.002 bplog.bkup.003 bplog.bkup.004... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters

hello all I am writing a perl code and i wish to remove the special characters for text. I wish to remove all extended ascii characters. If the list of special characters is huge, how can i do this using substitute command s/specialcharacters/null/g I really want to code like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove string between two special characters

Hi All, I have a variable like AVAIL="\ BACK:bkpstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:backtest|\ #AUTH:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ TEST:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ " What I want to do here is that If a find # before any entry, remove the entire string... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: engineermayur
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the special characters from field

Hi, In source data few of columns are having special charates(like *) due to this i am not able to display the data into flat file.it's displaying the some of junk data into the flat file. source dataExample: Address1="XDERFTG * HYJUYTG" how to remove the special charates in a string (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove some special characters in a string?

Hi, I have string like this ="Lookup Procedure" But i want the output like this Lookup Procedure =," should be removed. Please suggest me the solution. Regards, Madhuri (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimadhuri
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove special characters?

Hi Gurus, I have file which contains some unicode charachator like "ü". I want to replace it with some charactors. I searched in internet and got command sed "s/ü/-/g", but I don't know how to type ü in unix command line. Please help me for this one. Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
7 Replies
rcsmerge(1)						      General Commands Manual						       rcsmerge(1)

NAME
rcsmerge - merge RCS revisions SYNOPSIS
rev2] file DESCRIPTION
incorporates the changes between rev1 and rev2 of an RCS file into the corresponding working file. If is given, the result is printed on the standard output; otherwise the result overwrites the working file. A file name ending in is an RCS file name; otherwise it is a working file name. derives the working file name from the RCS file name and vice versa, as explained in rcsintro(5). A pair consisting of both an RCS and a working file name can also be specified. rev1 cannot be omitted. If rev2 is omitted, the latest revision on the trunk is assumed. Both rev1 and rev2 can be given numerically or symbolically. prints a warning if there are overlaps, and delimits the overlapping regions as explained for the option of co(1). The command is useful for incorporating changes into a checked-out revision. EXAMPLES
Suppose you have released revision 2.8 of Assume furthermore that you just completed revision 3.4 when you receive updates to release 2.8 from someone else. To combine the updates to 2.8 and your changes between 2.8 and 3.4, put the updates to 2.8 into file and execute: Then examine Alternatively, if you want to save the updates to 2.8 in the RCS file, check them in as revision 2.8.1.1 and execute As another example, the following command undoes the changes between revision 2.4 and 2.8 in your currently checked out revision in Note the order of the arguments, and that is overwritten. WARNINGS
does not work for files that contain lines with a single AUTHOR
was developed by Walter F. Tichy. SEE ALSO
ci(1), co(1), merge(1), ident(1), rcs(1), rcsdiff(1), rlog(1), rcsfile(4). rcsmerge(1)