Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: split a line using a token
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting split a line using a token Post 302264389 by vidyadhar85 on Wednesday 3rd of December 2008 11:04:04 PM
Old 12-04-2008
i don't think it will work.. its not working for me

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

line 3: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Hi All I've used UNIX in the past experimenting with commands through terminal but thats about it. Im now currently teaching myself "C". Using a book from the library, the first chapter asks you run and compile your program from a command-line prompt. As you will see the program is very simple,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: camzio
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a line on positions before reading complete line

Hi, I want to split before reading the complete line as the line is very big and its throwing out of memory. can you suggest. when i say #cat $inputFile | while read eachLine and use the eachLine to split its throwing out of memory as the line size is more than 10000000 characters. Can you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

split single line into two line or three lines

Dear All, I want to split single line into two line or three lines wherever “|” separated values comes using Input line test,DEMTEMPUT20100404010012,,,,,,,,|0070086|0070087, output shoule be test,DEMTEMPUT20100404010012,,,,,,,,0070086, test,DEMTEMPUT20100404010012,,,,,,,,0070087, (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a line

I guess this has a simple solution but can't figure out now. having: x="H:a:b:c" to get H: echo $x|awk -F: {'print $1'} how can I put REST of line in another one? i.e. echo $rest a:b:c thanks ---------- Post updated at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous update was at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: garagonp
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot execute/finish script because of last line syntax error: unexpected end of file/token `done'

first of all I thought the argument DONE is necessary for all scripts that have or begin with do statements which I have on my script, However, I still don't completely understand why I am receiving an error I tried adding another done argument statement but didn't do any good. I appreciate... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf@=NK
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Removing all characters from token to end of line

Hello. The token is any printable characters between 2 " . The token is unknown, but we know that it is between 2 " Tok 1 : "1234x567" Tok 2 : "A3b6+None" Tok 3 : "A3b6!1234=@" The ligne is : Line 1 : "9876xABCDE"Do you have any code fragments or data samples in your post Line 2 : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - How to insert line before the first blank line following a token

Hello. I have a config file (/etc/my_config_file) which may content : # # port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic port=8200 # network interfaces to serve, comma delimited network_interface=eth0 # set this to the directory you want scanned. # * if have multiple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a File line by line and split into array word by word

Hi All, Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend I have a scenario where in which I have to read a file line by line and check for few words before redirecting to a file I have searched the forum but,either those answers dint work (perhaps because of my wrong under standing of how IFS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a line

I have a very long line in a file separated by "|" delimiter like below. Due to the length of the line, I find it very difficult to read to find a match line. file = temp.txt word 1| word 2 | word 3|.... I would like to read the file temp.txt and print out all words line by line like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boldnbeautiful
1 Replies

10. Programming

Sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `(' how to resolve this

Below query is not working for me. Please help me on this DATA EXCLUDE STATEMENT: TABLE:\"LIKE \'%\_HISTORY\'\", TABLE:\"LIKE \'%\_HIST\'\", TABLE:\"in \(select tname from tab where REGEXP_LIKE(TNAME,\'\_H$\'\))\", TABLE:\"LIKE \'%\_LOG\'\", TABLE:\"LIKE \'DW\_%\'\", TABLE:\"LIKE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princy
1 Replies
split(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  split(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
split - Split a string into a proper Tcl list SYNOPSIS
split string ?splitChars? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns a list created by splitting string at each character that is in the splitChars argument. Each element of the result list will con- sist of the characters from string that lie between instances of the characters in splitChars. Empty list elements will be generated if string contains adjacent characters in splitChars, or if the first or last character of string is in splitChars. If splitChars is an empty string then each character of string becomes a separate element of the result list. SplitChars defaults to the standard white-space char- acters. EXAMPLES
Divide up a USENET group name into its hierarchical components: split "comp.lang.tcl.announce" . -> comp lang tcl announce See how the split command splits on every character in splitChars, which can result in information loss if you are not careful: split "alpha beta gamma" "temp" -> al {ha b} {} {a ga} {} a Extract the list words from a string that is not a well-formed list: split "Example with {unbalanced brace character" -> Example with {unbalanced brace character Split a string into its constituent characters split "Hello world" {} -> H e l l o { } w o r l d PARSING RECORD-ORIENTED FILES Parse a Unix /etc/passwd file, which consists of one entry per line, with each line consisting of a colon-separated list of fields: ## Read the file set fid [open /etc/passwd] set content [read $fid] close $fid ## Split into records on newlines set records [split $content " "] ## Iterate over the records foreach rec $records { ## Split into fields on colons set fields [split $rec ":"] ## Assign fields to variables and print some out... lassign $fields userName password uid grp longName homeDir shell puts "$longName uses [file tail $shell] for a login shell" } SEE ALSO
join(n), list(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
list, split, string Tcl split(n)