Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem taking input from file with for loop Post 302264240 by bash_in_my_head on Wednesday 3rd of December 2008 01:58:19 PM
Old 12-03-2008
Problem taking input from file with for loop

I am trying to take input from a file and direct it into a bash script. This script is meant to be a foreach loop. I would like the script to process each item in the list one by one and direct the output to a file.

[root@uverse ~]# cat 1loop
#!/bin/bash
# this 2>&1 to redirect STDERR & STDOUT to file
LIST=$1
for i in "$LIST"; do
ping -c 2 "$LIST"; &> /root/error_mess
done

I have a file called ipaddresses with one ip per line.
This script works if I supply one ip after the script name upon execution, but not like this
#./1loop < ipaddresses

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with using input file in the while loop

here's my code: ls -lt | /usr/bin/egrep `date +"%Y%m%d(05|06|07|08|09|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19)"` | \ /usr/bin/egrep -i .dat | /usr/bin/awk '{print $9}' > $LockboxFile1 if ] then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sytycd712
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Taking a Users input to for the basis of a Grep

Hi I'm currently putting together a script that will grep a set of data for a particular input, specified by the user. I'm getting myself all tangled up with my Echo's and reads. What i'm looking to do is get it so that it prompts the user to enter a value (echo) and then uses their input... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Great Uncle Kip
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while taking input from User

Hi All, I am facing a problem while taking input from user in Shell Script. Basically , I want to read a file line by line. And I want to remove certain lines of that file.But before removing those lines , I need to ask the user whether user wants to remove the lines. If user inputs "Yes" , the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swapnil.nawale
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking one input at a time

Legends, Please help me to come out of the below Bermuda triangle. I have four inputs in a shell script: A B C D Now, If A is passed by user then, B C D will be ignored. If C is passed by user, then A B D will be ignored. Regards, Sandy (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to execute Oracle query taking input from a file to form query

Hi, I need to query Oracle database for 100 users. I have these 100 users in a file. I need a shell script which would read this User file (one user at a time) & query database. For instance: USER CITY --------- ---------- A CITY_A B CITY_B C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ftp multiple files by taking the file name from a input file.

Hi, I'm working on a script which has to copy multiple files from one server to another server. The list of files that are to be copied is present in a file say input.txt. vi input.txt abc.c welcome.c new.c welcome1.c for ftp'ing a single file say 'new.c' the following code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Installing a bin file by taking input from a properties file

I need to install a bin file in UNIX which requires user interaction for giving some information like user id , path, sid etc. All these information is stored in a properties file in the same location. So if i give ./file.bin -f propfile.properties will it install the file taking all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolmohere
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop problem taking too long

while read myhosts do while read discovered do echo "$discovered" done < $LOGFILE | grep -Pi "|" | egrep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search pattern in a file taking input from another file

Hi, Below is my requirement File1: svasjsdhvassdvasdhhgvasddhvasdhasdjhvasdjsahvasdjvdasjdvvsadjhv vdjvsdjasvdasdjbasdjbasdjhasbdasjhdbjheasbdasjdsajhbjasbjasbhddjb svfsdhgvfdshgvfsdhfvsdadhfvsajhvasjdhvsajhdvsadjvhasjhdvjhsadjahs File2: sdh hgv I need a command such that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: imrandec85
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in taking input Shell script

I was writing a shell script, where i need to run a command through script and then take input from user and later terminate it. i am not sure how to take input in a proper format immediately after a command. example: below command line is used to import some data in to database (LDAP)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mridul17
3 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)