Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: test condition
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting test condition Post 302264227 by radoulov on Wednesday 3rd of December 2008 01:25:51 PM
Old 12-03-2008
The shell keyword [[ requires a different syntax,
see below.

With bash:

Code:
$ type [[ 
[[ is a shell keyword
$ help [[
[[ ... ]]: [[ expression ]]
    Returns a status of 0 or 1 depending on the evaluation of the conditional
    expression EXPRESSION.  Expressions are composed of the same primaries used
    by the `test' builtin, and may be combined using the following operators

( EXPRESSION )  Returns the value of EXPRESSION
        ! EXPRESSION    True if EXPRESSION is false; else false
        EXPR1 && EXPR2  True if both EXPR1 and EXPR2 are true; else false
        EXPR1 || EXPR2  True if either EXPR1 or EXPR2 is true; else false

When the `==' and `!=' operators are used, the string to the right of the
    operator is used as a pattern and pattern matching is performed.  The
    && and || operators do not evaluate EXPR2 if EXPR1 is sufficient to
    determine the expression's value.

So:

Code:
$ [ x = x -a x = x ] && echo ok
ok
$ [[ x = x -a x = x ]] && echo ok
bash: syntax error in conditional expression
bash: syntax error near `-a'

But:

Code:
$ [[ x == x && x == x ]] && echo ok
ok

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with test condition in shell script

I'm new to scripting and I need help with a bourn shell script. What i'm trying to do is a test condition where "if the time is within 2 hours, it's true" and so on. The time is in the following format DATE=`/bin/date +"%Y%m%d%H%S"` for example, 20060907152000. So, what the script first... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pieman8080
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

test and if condition

Guys look at this: i have to write a script that takes a file as an argument. The script should be able to determine what permissions the owner, group and everybody has for the file passed in. The output should be displayed similar to this. READ WRITE EXECUTE OWNER LEE.BALLANCORE YES YES NO... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciroredz
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Condition test ( [[ ]] ) doubt

Hi , I have a doubt on condition test ( ] ). Pls refer blow program. #!/bin/ksh TEMP= if ;then echo $TEMP else print 'invalid option' fi Above script's TEMP variable has no value so it gives "invalid option" as output. But I got an error before priting the string . Result : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thambi
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Condition test

Hi there, When I try to do a condition on test: $ str1=abcd $ test $str1 $ echo $? 0 Is there anyway to display the answer to be 'TRUE' or 'YES'? rather than 0? If so, how can I do it without using awk or sed. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test condition

Hello, what is the better and correct way to perform a comparison: I have been using the following with no problems: if ] then .... fi I have seen this also used : if then .... fi When I try : if then .... fi I get an error like .... the test condition expects a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Condition to test if a host can be pinged

I have a much larger script that takes an input file of hosts and determines if we support them and checks to ensure the FQDN coincides with our DNS. For instance, the hostname may return a different FQDN when passed to the "host" command, so I keep the value of the output of the "host" command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Lower case test condition

I want to locate directories that are upper, lower or have both upper and lower cases. What I have is: find /tmp/$var2 -type d' " ); && echo "host case is incorrect" || echo "host case is correct" This actually is part of a larger script and it does work but the problem is that it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple negated test condition

Without grep, I'd like to make a test condition so that any a word that does not have the successive letters car in it will be echoed. for example, bluecar will contain "car" so it will show up as a no var=bluecar $ echo $var|if ]; then echo "yes";fi yes this variable contains "car" so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Test a condition for n times and take action

i have to test a condition for n times and if its value is greater than one each time for continuous 5 iterations it will take action My Approach run the same command 5 times in for loop and divert the output to a file and then read the values from file and use if else if and take action ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhaydas
1 Replies
TEST(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           TEST(1)

NAME
test - check file types and compare values SYNOPSIS
test EXPRESSION test [ EXPRESSION ] [ ] [ OPTION DESCRIPTION
Exit with the status determined by EXPRESSION. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit An omitted EXPRESSION defaults to false. Otherwise, EXPRESSION is true or false and sets exit status. It is one of: ( EXPRESSION ) EXPRESSION is true ! EXPRESSION EXPRESSION is false EXPRESSION1 -a EXPRESSION2 both EXPRESSION1 and EXPRESSION2 are true EXPRESSION1 -o EXPRESSION2 either EXPRESSION1 or EXPRESSION2 is true -n STRING the length of STRING is nonzero STRING equivalent to -n STRING -z STRING the length of STRING is zero STRING1 = STRING2 the strings are equal STRING1 != STRING2 the strings are not equal INTEGER1 -eq INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is equal to INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -ge INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is greater than or equal to INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -gt INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is greater than INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -le INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is less than or equal to INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -lt INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is less than INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -ne INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is not equal to INTEGER2 FILE1 -ef FILE2 FILE1 and FILE2 have the same device and inode numbers FILE1 -nt FILE2 FILE1 is newer (modification date) than FILE2 FILE1 -ot FILE2 FILE1 is older than FILE2 -b FILE FILE exists and is block special -c FILE FILE exists and is character special -d FILE FILE exists and is a directory -e FILE FILE exists -f FILE FILE exists and is a regular file -g FILE FILE exists and is set-group-ID -G FILE FILE exists and is owned by the effective group ID -h FILE FILE exists and is a symbolic link (same as -L) -k FILE FILE exists and has its sticky bit set -L FILE FILE exists and is a symbolic link (same as -h) -O FILE FILE exists and is owned by the effective user ID -p FILE FILE exists and is a named pipe -r FILE FILE exists and read permission is granted -s FILE FILE exists and has a size greater than zero -S FILE FILE exists and is a socket -t FD file descriptor FD is opened on a terminal -u FILE FILE exists and its set-user-ID bit is set -w FILE FILE exists and write permission is granted -x FILE FILE exists and execute (or search) permission is granted Except for -h and -L, all FILE-related tests dereference symbolic links. Beware that parentheses need to be escaped (e.g., by backslashes) for shells. INTEGER may also be -l STRING, which evaluates to the length of STRING. NOTE: Binary -a and -o are inherently ambiguous. Use 'test EXPR1 && test EXPR2' or 'test EXPR1 || test EXPR2' instead. NOTE: [ honors the --help and --version options, but test does not. test treats each of those as it treats any other nonempty STRING. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of test and/or [, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's documentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Kevin Braunsdorf and Matthew Bradburn. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report [ translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/[> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) test invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TEST(1)