Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming launching browser from Java on headless sever Post 302264196 by Solerous on Wednesday 3rd of December 2008 11:03:57 AM
Old 12-03-2008
Hmm... For some reason the above command stopped working. To be honest, even when it did work, the spawned process did not update the files I wanted it to properly. So I went back to trying it as a straight process instead of running it in a frame buffer. But it is again complaining that it can't open the display. Since it's headless, how do I set the environment variable? I thought I was setting it to the frame buffer running on display 5. But now that isn't working. So I guess I have two questions.

1. Is it possible to get this to work without a frame buffer?
2. If not, how can I check to see if the frame buffer is running? (because it seems to not be working anymore)

Here's a sample of the recent error messages:
Code:
LINUX/UNIX browser attempting to launch /opt/sfw/bin/firefox  file:/var/tmp/DisplayURLs21267.html
08/12/03 10:55:27 
                           user dir:  /usr/local/src/oracle/product/10.1.3.2.0/OracleAS_1/j2ee/home
08/12/03 10:55:27          cmd 0:  /bin/sh
08/12/03 10:55:27          cmd 1:  /opt/sfw/bin/firefox
08/12/03 10:55:27          cmd 2:  file:/var/tmp/DisplayURLs21267.html
08/12/03 10:55:32 ERR>
08/12/03 10:55:32 ERR>(firefox-bin:19045): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:  
08/12/03 10:55:32 ExitValue: 1

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script on a different Sever

Guys, I want to run a script located on a different server from my pc. Let say the server has an IP of 1.1.10.2/16 and the script path is: /home/user/bin/check.sh The script scans for all available devices on the lan. My pc has an IP of 1.1.15.4/16 and I can ping the sever and can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tony3101
3 Replies

2. AIX

find the IP's on the sever

Hi , I am working on AIx server which is connected to another network which is a stock market via leased line , From my side I connect to the server locally but what i need is to know the ip whic the server connect to the stock market how I can Know this ???? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Exceptions while running application on headless linux

I want to install executable file(Demo.bin) on vMA4.0 virtual machine using ssh. Same can be installed on all other Linux/Unix box. but when I am trying to run it on vMA,I am getting the following error-- Could you please advise me how to approch this problem and how to resolve it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
4 Replies

4. Ubuntu

The best distro to use on enviorment headless and only run scripts

Hello, I pretend create a machine headless for only run scripts! I think use Ubuntu Server, but this is the best option? Exist another system more light? Because the purpose is run script which do mathematical calculations. Sum, Division and Modules! My knowledge about word gnu/linux is on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: enodev
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Resolution Won't Change on Headless Linux Box?

Hello All, Wasn't sure if I was supposed to post this under Hardware so posting here... Device: CuBox-i OS: OpenSuSE 13.1 Uname: Linux CuBox-PC 3.14.14-cubox-i #1 SMP Sat Sep 13 03:48:24 UTC 2014 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux Window Manager: XFCE Display Manager: lightdm (*XDM?) I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LAMP Sever

How do I install a LAMP server on a new installation of Debian 9 using the lalest versions of AMP? Here is what I have. Corrections please. MYSQL apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client You can verify the MySQL server status using command: systemctl status mysql ------- PHP7... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
0 Replies
FIREFOX(1)							Linux User's Manual							FIREFOX(1)

NAME
firefox - a Web browser for X11 derived from the Mozilla browser SYNOPSIS
firefox [OPTIONS] [URL] DESCRIPTION
Mozilla Firefox is an open-source web browser, designed for standards compliance, performance and portability. USAGE
firefox is a simple shell script that will set up the environment for the actual executable. OPTIONS
A summary of the options supported by firefox is included below. GTK options --gdk-debug=FLAGS Gdk debugging flags to set --gdk-no-debug=FLAGS Gdk debugging flags to unset --gtk-debug=FLAGS Gtk+ debugging flags to set --gtk-no-debug=FLAGS Gtk+ debugging flags to unset --gtk-module=MODULE Load an additional Gtk module X11 options --display=DISPLAY X display to use --sync Make X calls synchronous --no-xshm Don't use X shared memory extension --xim-preedit=STYLE --xim-status=STYLE --g-fatal-warnings Make all warnings fatal Firefox options -h, -help Show summary of options. -height value Set height of startup window to value. -width value Set width of startup window to value. -v, -version Print /usr/bin/firefox-bin version. -CreateProfile profile Create profile. -P profile Start with profile. -ProfileManager Start with profile manager. -UILocale lang-region Start with lang-region resources. -contentLocale lang-region Start with lang-region resources. -remote command Execute command in an already running Firefox process. For more info, see: http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html -no-remote Don't try to control an already running instance. -jsconsole Start with Javascript Console -chrome url Load the specified chrome. -new-window url Open URL in a new window if Firefox is already running. -new-tab url Open URL in a new tab if Firefox is already running. -preferences Open Firefox preferences menu. -safe-mode Disables extensions and themes for this session. FILES /usr/bin/firefox - shell script wrapping firefox /usr/lib/firefox/firefox - firefox executable VERSION
3.0 BUGS
To report a bug, please visit http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ SEE ALSO
mozilla(1) AUTHORS
The Mozilla Organization http://www.mozilla.org/about.html firefox January 04, 2006 FIREFOX(1)