Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Getting same exit status for empty and non empty file Post 302264154 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 3rd of December 2008 08:49:17 AM
Old 12-03-2008
Again, $? gives the return value of the last command.

This statement:

Code:
echo "$ERROR"

gets the return statement of:

Code:
echo "data"

and not from:

Code:
if [[ -s "$DD_INDD" ]]; then

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the empty file

Hi, I have a TEST.dat file. As a clean up process, I have to delete the TEST.dat file if it is empty. Basically, I don't want to delete TEST.dat if it contains anything in it but want to delete TEST.dat if it contains any spaces or nothing in it. Is there a command to check if the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

empty file in hp-ux

Hi, I need your help. How can I create an empty filename with a specific size, in hp-ux? Regards, Mizi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mizi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File is not empty?

How do I check to make sure a file is not zero bytes? Something like: if then ????? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find empty folders without using -empty

hi all: my solaris FIND does not support find myFolder -type d -empty how can i find the empty folders? thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lasse
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to see if the file is empty or not?

hi how can I determine, if a file is empty or not?I am using read line clause. The script should be like: while read line do if(file is empty) then; ...... done < $blacklist (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjay83
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

while file is empty

how can i use while loop ? while file is empty do.... if not empty do ..... in bash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trump
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for empty file

I have a program that takes a file in which I use a sed to remove some data that is not needed. If all of the data is removed. I want to grep for that in the file and print that there is no data left in the file. When I use sed, I replace a word with nothing but it still seems to leave a return... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: plawr
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Empty out the file

Hi All, I have a piece of perl code in which I DON'T want to delete a file rather empty out the contents, here is the code - if ( unlink("$opt_b") == 1 ) { print_log( "$opt_b deleted", 1 ); }else { print_log( "Could not delete $opt_b:$!", 1 ); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacki
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

if/else with an empty file...

Hi there, I'm just starting out with shell scripting and I'm trying to make a test where the script will basically run yum check-update to find out if the server has any available and if it does it e-mails me but if not it will just stop there. I have it working if there are actually... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imnewtothis
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command on a empty directory - bad status

when I run the following command in AIX (bash), find ./* I get the following error. find: bad status-- ./* Thats becasuse, its an empty directory. The same works, when there the directory is not empty. Even though the find deesnt have to rerun any result. My full find command would look... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
4 Replies
env(1)							      General Commands Manual							    env(1)

NAME
env - set environment for command execution SYNOPSIS
[name value] ... [command [arguments ...]] DESCRIPTION
obtains the current environment, modifies it according to its arguments, then executes the command with the modified environment. Argu- ments of the form are merged into the inherited environment before the command is executed. The option causes the inherited environment to be ignored completely so that the command is executed with exactly the environment specified by the arguments. The option is obsolete and has the same effect as the option. If no command is specified, the resulting environment is printed, one name-value pair per line. RETURN VALUE
If command is invoked, the exit status of is the exit status of command; otherwise, exits with one of the following values: 0 completed successfully. 1-125 encountered an error. 126 command was found but could not be invoked. 127 command could not be found. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. WARNING
The option is obsolete. Use instead. SEE ALSO
sh(1), exec(2), profile(4), environ(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
env(1)