Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ksh - walking back up a directory PATH Post 302264125 by surfbus78 on Wednesday 3rd of December 2008 07:20:48 AM
Old 12-03-2008
hmm, i'll give it another try then.

potentially it might be a problem with my ksh, which i forgot to mention is the solaris implementation, which i have experienced issues with previously when compared to ksh on say a linux box.

i'll keep you posted, thanks for the response BTW

Steve

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

? question mark, how to get back to the root directory

hiyas I am trying to get back to the root directory: I went into MAIL directory and now I can't get back to the root directory. What are the commands... I have '?' coming up and I cannot proceed with this, HELP Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etravels
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Path autocompletion in ksh

Say, I want to move into dir library from current dir, on prompt if I type in cd li if it is followed by pressing 'Tab' key then complete dir name appears. Would there anyone know, how we can make into effect this path autocompletion? I am using 'ksh'. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
5 Replies

3. Linux

how to recover from back up directory

Hey all, Is there any way out to get/restore the deleted file in Linux ? As we do have Recycle Bin in Windows OS. as i deleted some files.. it is available in .snapshot but its a large files.. i cont use "mv" command to copy back. it there any way .. such like in window we click restore... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Puzzling Problem: Going back to the previous directory

Hi, I am trying to figure out if there is a way to make linux take me back to the previous directory I was working in. For instance, I am in /home/username/directory1 Then if I cd into /home/username/directory1/temp1/temp2/temp3 I would like to immediately go back to the previous... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias to go back to previous directory?

Some time ago I was using a linux system and someone had set up and alias called "back" that got me back to the directory I was last in, which was very useful. I've now switched to using a mac, and don't have those aliases available. Can anyone tell me how I could make a an alias that would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ac2011
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move back to a directory

~/assign1b/assign1/york/> your current directory is york how do you go back to your home directory with using relative pathname? not using cd alone? :( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackendstars
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
let(1)                                                             User Commands                                                            let(1)

NAME
let - shell built-in function to evaluate one or more arithmetic expressions SYNOPSIS
ksh let arg... DESCRIPTION
ksh Each arg is a separate "arithmetic expression" to be evaluated. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The value of the last expression is non-zero. 1 The value of the last expression is zero. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), set(1), typeset(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 let(1)