Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ksh - walking back up a directory PATH Post 302264096 by surfbus78 on Wednesday 3rd of December 2008 06:02:58 AM
Old 12-03-2008
hi there,

thanks for the fantastic responsese. I've tried a few of the suggestions but what i need to avoid is the need to have to actually be in the directory structure.
Basically i want to provide the tree structure as a value and have this broken down into its constituent parts as described in the first post.

can anybody help?

cheers

Steve

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

? question mark, how to get back to the root directory

hiyas I am trying to get back to the root directory: I went into MAIL directory and now I can't get back to the root directory. What are the commands... I have '?' coming up and I cannot proceed with this, HELP Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etravels
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Path autocompletion in ksh

Say, I want to move into dir library from current dir, on prompt if I type in cd li if it is followed by pressing 'Tab' key then complete dir name appears. Would there anyone know, how we can make into effect this path autocompletion? I am using 'ksh'. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
5 Replies

3. Linux

how to recover from back up directory

Hey all, Is there any way out to get/restore the deleted file in Linux ? As we do have Recycle Bin in Windows OS. as i deleted some files.. it is available in .snapshot but its a large files.. i cont use "mv" command to copy back. it there any way .. such like in window we click restore... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Puzzling Problem: Going back to the previous directory

Hi, I am trying to figure out if there is a way to make linux take me back to the previous directory I was working in. For instance, I am in /home/username/directory1 Then if I cd into /home/username/directory1/temp1/temp2/temp3 I would like to immediately go back to the previous... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias to go back to previous directory?

Some time ago I was using a linux system and someone had set up and alias called "back" that got me back to the directory I was last in, which was very useful. I've now switched to using a mac, and don't have those aliases available. Can anyone tell me how I could make a an alias that would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ac2011
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move back to a directory

~/assign1b/assign1/york/> your current directory is york how do you go back to your home directory with using relative pathname? not using cd alone? :( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackendstars
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
FTW(3)							   BSD Library Functions Manual 						    FTW(3)

NAME
ftw, nftw -- traverse (walk) a file tree SYNOPSIS
#include <ftw.h> int ftw(const char *path, int (*fn)(const char *, const struct stat *ptr, int flag), int depth); int nftw(const char *path, int (*fn)(const char *, const struct stat *ptr, int flag, struct FTW *), int depth, int flags); DESCRIPTION
These functions are provided for compatibility with legacy code. New code should use the fts(3) functions. The ftw() and nftw() functions traverse (walk) the directory hierarchy rooted in path. For each object in the hierarchy, these functions call the function pointed to by fn. The ftw() function passes this function a pointer to a NUL-terminated string containing the name of the object, a pointer to a stat structure corresponding to the object, and an integer flag. The nftw() function passes the aforementioned argu- ments plus a pointer to a FTW structure as defined by <ftw.h> (shown below): struct FTW { int base; /* offset of basename into pathname */ int level; /* directory depth relative to starting point */ }; Possible values for the flag passed to fn are: FTW_F A regular file. FTW_D A directory being visited in pre-order. FTW_DNR A directory which cannot be read. The directory will not be descended into. FTW_DP A directory being visited in post-order (nftw() only). FTW_NS A file for which no stat(2) information was available. The contents of the stat structure are undefined. FTW_SL A symbolic link. FTW_SLN A symbolic link with a non-existent target (nftw() only). The ftw() function traverses the tree in pre-order. That is, it processes the directory before the directory's contents. The depth argument specifies the maximum number of file descriptors to keep open while traversing the tree. It has no effect in this imple- mentation. The nftw() function has an additional flags argument with the following possible values: FTW_PHYS Physical walk, don't follow symbolic links. FTW_MOUNT The walk will not cross a mount point. FTW_DEPTH Process directories in post-order. Contents of a directory are visited before the directory itself. By default, nftw() traverses the tree in pre-order. FTW_CHDIR Change to a directory before reading it. By default, nftw() will change its starting directory. The current working directory will be restored to its original value before nftw() returns. RETURN VALUES
If the tree was traversed successfully, the ftw() and nftw() functions return 0. If the function pointed to by fn returns a non-zero value, ftw() and nftw() will stop processing the tree and return the value from fn. Both functions return -1 if an error is detected. ERRORS
The ftw() and nftw() functions may fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the library functions close(2), open(2), stat(2), malloc(3), opendir(3) and readdir(3). If the FTW_CHDIR flag is set, the nftw() function may fail and set errno for any of the errors speci- fied for chdir(2). In addition, either function may fail and set errno as follows: [EINVAL] The depth argument is less than 1 or greater than OPEN_MAX. LEGACY ERRORS
The ftw() and nftw() functions are far more tolerant of symlink cycles and are lax in reporting errors while accessing the initial path. When nftw() is passed FTW_MOUNT, it will pass the mount point to the callback function. SEE ALSO
chdir(2), close(2), open(2), stat(2), fts(3), malloc(3), opendir(3), readdir(3), compat(5) STANDARDS
The ftw() and nftw() functions conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') and Version 3 of the Single UNIX Specification (``SUSv3''). HISTORY
Prior to MacOS X 10.4 ftw did not follow symlinks. BUGS
The depth argument is currently ignored. BSD
May 20, 2003 BSD