Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to compare file sizes
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to compare file sizes Post 302264000 by revenna on Wednesday 3rd of December 2008 01:11:57 AM
Old 12-03-2008
thanks cris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare file sizes

Is there a command that will return the name of the largest file within a directory? If so, can I set the returned filename into a variable? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joli
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on adding file sizes

Hi I need to take a list of files that are defined by an ls -ltr or grep for particular file names - and add up the byte size colum which is field 5 seperated by a space. I tried to do this but I think I am way off: for file in 'ls -ltr | grep 20070916 | nawk -F" " '{temp+=5} END {print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare total directory structure and get sizes of all f on two different servers

Hello every one, Iam newbie to this forum and shell programming &scripting. i needed to compare each and every folder of two separate servers. Actually I have copied some directory structure from one server to second server, to build on second server the files all should be copied... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannam srinivas
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with file sizes

I have 2 big files in the size of gb. They are same with respect to content, both are “,” delimited. Now both of them are created by two different processes but has the same logic. The problem is they are differing only in few bytes for e.g one file is 202195751 bytes other is 202195773. So... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

compare file percent sizes

I need to get a file size and compare it to a previous day file size. If it's larger or smaller by 50 percent I'll replace the new with the old. I know how to get the file sizes but do not know how to calculate if it's 50 percent difference. Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two file sizes.

Hi everyone! I need to compare two file sizes. One of them (size) will be stored in a flat file and the other coming from a listed file. I can now get the first file size using: SIZE=`ls -l $DOCTYPE | awk '{print $5}'` 1. How can I store this value in a flat file? 2. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare file sizes

I need to write a bash script larger X Y that compares the sizes of two specified files X and Y, and reports which file is larger. For example, if X is larger, the output should be "File X is larger", while if Y is larger, the output should be "File Y is larger". If the files are exactly the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: julia_21436
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using csh / awk / sed to compare database sizes in a txt file

Hello, I have an output file showing database sizes across the 3 environments that I use (LIVE, TEST & DEVELOPMENT). I am trying to write a script that lets me know if the size of a db on one environment is different to its corresponding db on the other environments. Here is an example... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevie_g
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add all file sizes in ls -l

solaris 10 (c shell) need a command or script that will add up all (*.tmp) file sizes in bytes of a single directory, or kbytes, no matter (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh scripting SSH to Compare File Sizes

Hello, I currently have very little experience with Shell scripting and trying to create a script for the purpose of collecting the size of a couple sizes on 4 different Hosts. The Idea is to collected the information from the files in which the script is kicked off on, store the values into... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abstract3000
17 Replies
regex(1F)                                                          FMLI Commands                                                         regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)