Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting issues with a condition in a while loop Post 302263809 by Lakris on Tuesday 2nd of December 2008 02:02:49 PM
Old 12-02-2008
Hello,
it may not be much of a comfort but both Your versions of while loop conditions worked on my machine, in both bash (3.2) and ksh (93s) on Linux.

As in
Code:
while [[ "$go_2_it" != "Y"  ||  "$go_2_it" != "y"  ||  "$go_2_it" != "N"  ||  "$go_2_it" != "n" ]];  do echo hey; done

or
Code:
while [ "$go_2_it" != "Y" ] || [ "$go_2_it" != "y" ] || [ "$go_2_it" != "N" ] || [ "$go_2_it" != "n" ];  do echo hey; done

I am not sure but I think the single [ is actually a command, equal or similar to the test command, but [[ is a grouping mechanism and has different rules for wildcard and variable expansion. I guess You should Google on it. I have used both and not sure why I did it, maybe just because an example I had to build from used either and it worked so I never really bothered.

/Lakris

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop issues

Hi guys, Been sifting through these forums for awhile, but never had an account or needed to post. Shoutouts to a great forum with heaps of useful info. Now i consider myself a noob when it comes to linux and to bash scripting. I recently started to learn to use Vmware ESX server which uses... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryath
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What condition to be put in the while loop?

i have got a file where the env command is appended 5 times. i have to now look for the username and display it in the form of 1) PWD=/home/lee.ballancore 2) USER=lee.ballancore 3) MAIL=/var/spool/mail/lee.ballancore 4) LOGNAME=lee.ballancore 5) HOME=/home/lee.ballancore 6)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nehaquick
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Testing For Loop condition

How do I test the return condition in the script if no files are found: for file in `Find ${LANDING_FILE_DIR}${BTIME_FILENAME_PATTERN}` do ... .. done I want to capture the return code so I can echo the error or condition. Using if ] always returns zero no matter where it's placed. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavsman
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

condition inside a for loop

I have a for loop in my script as shown below. for file_path in $file_list ; do ........my code .......... ...... done Can i restrict the number of files parsing to the variable file_path as 50? That is, even if I have some 100 files in file_list, I need to take only 50 files for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijay06
7 Replies

5. Programming

performance issues of calling a function in if condition

Hi, I have written a program in C and have to test the return value of the functions. So the normal way of doin this wud b int rc rc=myfunction(input); if(rc=TRUE){ } else{ } But instead of doing this I have called the function in the if() condition. Does this have any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidmania
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition in a while loop

Gurus, I need to read a line from a file and strip the characters from it and compare the stripped value with the value I pass to the script while executing it. Below is the code for the same. But when i execute the code, it is throwing an error. #!/bin/ksh . /home/.i_env ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of -z in while loop condition

Hi, Could you please tell what is the meaning of -z in while loop condition. For example, while ; do echo "*** Enter the age " readage (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidyaj
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

While loop only if a condition is met

All, I wrote the following section of code (which logically in PHP would of worked): tmpPATH=${1} tmpTAG=${2} if then while read tmpTAG tmpPATH do fi echo $tmpTAG echo $tmpPATH if then done < ./config.cfg fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cranie
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

While Loop with if else condition

Hi, I was trying to write a shell script which reads csv file and sends mail in html format along with tables. Hope i have completed 1st part , but while sending mail i was trying to highlight some rows in the table based on the egrep outcome. If the string exists in line/INPUT, i am trying to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varmas424
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)