Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Search for string in a directory with binaries exclusion Post 302263784 by seg on Tuesday 2nd of December 2008 01:28:09 PM
Old 12-02-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin52
If you have GNU grep:

Code:
grep -I

Regards
/usr/sfw/bin/ggrep is GNU grep Smilie
And yes the -I flag is the same as "--binary-files=without-match"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclusion List of file and directory

dear all i trying to list all files within a directory. I want to exclude all subdirectory and some files, with using below statement, but it not exclude the files which start with "&" and end with "SL" , is there any things wrong with the below statement ? TIA cd /myaccount/mydirectory... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayang
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix find command to print directory and search string

Hi i need to print pathname in which the string present using 'find' command sample output like this Pathname String to be searched ---------- -------------------- /usr/test/myfile get /opt/test/somefile get Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: princein
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching a file with exclusion in the search

Hello, I'm looking for a bit of help. Im trying to search a file for lines that contain white spaces at the end of the lines. This is what I'm using where $param is the path and file name and it redirects the output to a txt file : echo | grep -n ' $' $param >> $2 Is it possible to have... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gintreach
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search all the files in a directory for a specific string

Hi Guys, I want to search the content of all the files (of a particular type like .txt) in a directory for a specific string pattern. Can anyone help me? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search several string and convert into a single line for each search string using awk command AIX?.

I need to search the file using strings "Request Type" , " Request Method" , "Response Type" and by using result set find the xml tags and convert into a single line?. below are the scenarios. Cat test Nov 10, 2012 5:17:53 AM INFO: Request Type Line 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for a string in all the files irrespective of directory.?

Hi All, How to search for a string in all the files irrespective of directory. If I use grep -i 'hello' *.* It will search for the string hello in the files of current directory. But I want to check for the string hello in the files of all the directories. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search directory for string and print file name

Good Evening Folks - I have a need to search a specific directory and ALL sub-directories for the following string: Data Load UpdatedIf this string is found, I need to print content from the line directory above it between symbols, as well as the file name where it is found. Here is a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search strings from a file in files in a directory recursively; then print the string with a status

Hi All, I hope somebody would be able to help me. I would need to search a string coming from a file, example file.txt: dog cat goat horse fish For every string, I would need to know if there are any files inside a directory(recursively) that contains the string regardless of case.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
9 Replies
BZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BZGREP(1)

NAME
bzgrep, bzfgrep, bzegrep - search possibly bzip2 compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
bzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzegrep [ egrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzfgrep [ fgrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Bzgrep is used to invoke the grep on bzip2-compressed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If bzgrep is invoked as bzegrep or bzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, bzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep bzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; bzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca). Adapted to bzip2 by Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> for Debian GNU/Linux. SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), bzdiff(1), bzmore(1), bzless(1), bzip2(1) BZGREP(1)