Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Script to change/find/delete/install a specific file Post 302263766 by Great Uncle Kip on Tuesday 2nd of December 2008 12:39:43 PM
Old 12-02-2008
Script to change/find/delete/install a specific file

Hi

Very much a newbie to UNIX & scripting, but have identified an area within work that would benefit from being automated, as its repeated manually very often, and it looks like the ideal first script!

What I need to do is change directory to a users home (cd ~), and then find and remove a specific file (in the format .abcd).

The final part of my script will then be to unpack a cpio package to the users home path.

Although I know the basic Unix commands to do this step by step, i'm unsure as to how this can be interpreted into a shell, to run it automatically.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a specific character in a file

Hi, I have a data file with following structure: a|b|c|d|3|f1|f2|f3 a|b|c|d|5|f1|f2|f3|f4|f5 I want to change this data to: a|b|c|d|3|f1;f2;f3 a|b|c|d|5|f1;f2;f3;f4;f5 Data in column 5 tells the number of following fields. All fields delimiter after the 5th column needs to be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdubey
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Specific Line of a File

Hi everyone, I am attempting to do something that should be very simple. How do I replace a specific line of a file with different text, and then save that file to its original name? I believe I want to use the sed command with the c option, but I after trying many times, I can't get the right... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change specific ip address in a file

I need to change a line from a xen cfg file using sed if it's possible. The original line is: vif = I want to change ONLY the IP address of the second part ==> ip=10.1.10.4 to another IP --> ip=192.222.11.6 The first one ip=123.456.789.123 keeps untouchable. My new line shoud... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find specific file name and load data

I need help as to how to write a script in Unix for the following: We have 3 servers; The mainframe will FTP them to a folder. In that folder we will need the script to look and see if the specific file name is there and load it to the correct table. Can anyone pls help me out with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msrahman
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change specific value for a entry in the file

Hello All, can someone please suggest me a one line command to change a specific value that is associated to an entry in the file. for example #more schedulefile quartz.job.manual.bonus.schedule=0 0 9 ? * * # it should be changed to #more schedulefile... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a file with a specific pattern for current sysdate & upon find email the details?

I need assistance with following requirement, I am new to Unix. I want to do the following task but stuck with file creation date(sysdate) Following is the requirement I need to create a script that will read the abc/xyz/klm folder and look for *.err files for that day’s date and then send an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PreetArul
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete columns with a specific title XXX, where the position change in each file

Goodmorning, I know how to cut a string and a column, and how to find a word. I have a file with over 100 columns. All columns have a title in the first line. I have to delete all columns with the XXX title. I can't use cut -f because the position of XXX columns change in each file, and in... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: echo manolis
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find specific pattern and change some of block values using awk

Hi, Could you please help me finding a way to replace a specific value in a text block when matching a key pattern ? I got the keys and the values from a command similar to: echo -e "key01 Nvalue01-1 Nvalue01-2 Nvalue01-3\nkey02 Nvalue02-1 Nvalue02-2 Nvalue02-3 \nkey03 Nvalue03-1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex2005
2 Replies
qmail-pw2u(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     qmail-pw2u(8)

NAME
qmail-pw2u - build address assignments from a passwd file SYNOPSIS
qmail-pw2u [ -/ohHuUC ] [ -cchar ] DESCRIPTION
qmail-pw2u reads a V7-format passwd file from standard input and prints a qmail-users-format assignment file. A V7-format passwd file is a series of lines. Each line has the format user:password:uid:gid:gecos:home:shell where user is an account name, uid and gid are the user id and group id of that account, and home is the account's home directory. pass- word, gecos, and shell are ignored by qmail-pw2u. If you put the output of qmail-pw2u into /var/lib/qmail/users/assign, and then run qmail-newu, qmail-lspawn will obey the assignments printed by qmail-pw2u. WARNING: After changing any users, uids, gids, or home directories in your passwd file, you must run qmail-pw2u and qmail-newu again if you want qmail-lspawn to see the changes. RULES
By default, qmail-pw2u follows the same rules as qmail-getpw. It skips user if (1) uid is zero, (2) home does not exist, (3) user does not own home, or (4) user contains uppercase letters. It then gives each remaining user control over the basic user address and all addresses of the form user-anything. A catch-all user, alias, controls all other addresses. You may change these rules by setting up files in /var/lib/qmail/users: include Allowed users, one per line. If include exists, and user is not listed in include, user is ignored. exclude Ignored users, one per line. If exclude exists, and user is listed in exclude, user is ignored. mailnames Replacement names for users. Each line has the form user:mailname1:mailname2:... The addresses mailname1 and mailname1-ext and mailname2 and so on will be delivered to user. WARNING: The addresses user and user-ext will not be delivered to user unless user is listed as one of the mailnames. A line in mailnames is silently ignored if the user does not exist. subusers Extra addresses. Each line has the form sub:user:pre: sub will be handled by home/.qmail-pre, where home is user's home directory; sub-ext will be handled by home/.qmail-pre-ext. append Extra assignments, printed at the end of qmail-pw2u's output. OPTIONS
-o (Default.) Skip user if home does not exist (or is not visible to qmail-pw2u). Skip user if home is not owned by user. -h Stop if home does not exist. This is appropriate if every user is supposed to have a home directory. Skip user if home is not owned by user. -H Do not check the existence or ownership of home. -U (Default.) Skip user if there are any uppercase letters in user. -u Allow uppercase letters in user. -cchar Use char as the user-extension delimiter in place of -. -C Disable the user-extension mechanism. -/ Use home/.qmail-/... instead of home/.qmail-... SEE ALSO
qmail-users(5), qmail-lspawn(8), qmail-newu(8), qmail-getpw(8) qmail-pw2u(8)