Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script Signal Processing
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script Signal Processing Post 302263309 by bluescreen on Monday 1st of December 2008 09:29:02 AM
Old 12-01-2008
I have used the trap command in the past to handle signals in the shell.

HTH

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Signal Processing

Hello, Can any body give example of using Unix Signals. What I want to do is I am running a sql query in a shell script I want, if sql query exceed the defined no. of seconds limit, then I would like to kill the process. I know this can be done thru Unix Signal Handling but I do not know... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

signal script?

I have a script which invoke a java program, because the program requires file as input, hence the script would sleep a X seconds then check for file existence, if the file exists then program is invoker else, keep waiting until the time is up. My problem is that if there is a way to find out if my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

3. Programming

Signal processing

We have written a deamon which have many threads. We are registering for the SIGTERM and trying to close main thread in this signal handling. Actually these are running on Mac OS X ( BSD unix). When we are unloading the deamon with command launchctl, it's sending SIGTERM signal to our process... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Akshay4u
1 Replies

4. Programming

alarm signal processing

I'm writing a function right now, and I want to set an alarm to avoid a timeout, here's the general idea of my code: int amt = -2; alarm(10); amt = read(fd, &t->buf, TASKBUFSIZ - tailpos); //do a read when the alarm goes off, i want to check the value of "amt" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: liaobert
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Signal Processing in unix

I've read the man page of singal(3) but I still can't quite understand what is the difference between SIGINT, SIGALRM and SIGTERM. Can someone tell me what is the behavioral difference among these 3 signals in kill command? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe228
2 Replies

6. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Continue Processing after a signal is caught

Is it possible to continue after signal is caught and control goes to function specified in the trap statement? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
3 Replies
KILL(1) 							   User Commands							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill - send signals to processes, or list signals SYNOPSIS
kill [-s SIGNAL | -SIGNAL] PID... kill -l [SIGNAL]... kill -t [SIGNAL]... DESCRIPTION
Send signals to processes, or list signals. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -s, --signal=SIGNAL, -SIGNAL specify the name or number of the signal to be sent -l, --list list signal names, or convert signal names to/from numbers -t, --table print a table of signal information --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIGNAL may be a signal name like `HUP', or a signal number like `1', or the exit status of a process terminated by a signal. PID is an integer; if negative it identifies a process group. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of kill, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu- mentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Paul Eggert. REPORTING BUGS
Report kill bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
kill(2) The full documentation for kill is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and kill programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'kill invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 KILL(1)