Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to combine case statements Post 302263270 by karp3158 on Monday 1st of December 2008 07:35:22 AM
Old 12-01-2008
How to combine case statements

Hi, I need to change military time to regular time. I know to use case to indicate whether a.m. or p.m. as follows:

case "$hour"
in
0? | 1[01] ) echo a.m.;;
1[2-9] ) echo p.m.;;
* ) echo p.m.;;
esac

My question is how do I add the hour and minute before the a.m. or p.m.?
I have tried and if statement but I can't cat the two together.
Thanks, in advance,
karp3158

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

case statements

i need to use a case statement to do something when the user enters nothing at the prompt. i know about the if statement and that isnt' what i'm interested in using for this. i want to use case. heres the scenerio. a program asks a user for an input. i want to use a case statement to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Terrible
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with my case statements

Hi there, Im having some problems with this function, I pass two arguments to the function $1 $2 (Arguments are month and date inputted by the user) for some reason the case always fails... however in the cases defined below where it shouldnt fail the result is: if it fails with input... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darklight
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine two grep statements

Hi I am wondering is it possible to combine two greps together I have two greps. grep "^,, *\." file (grep the line which has a '.' in the third column) grep "=" file (grep the line which has = anywhere) How to put them together so that if the content of the file that match either... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tiger66
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to exit from case statements

Hi all, I wrote the following simple shell script to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. In the below program, i am not able to exit from the script Shell Script ----------- #!/bin/sh bgcal() { cal="" echo "Enter the Option Number: \c" read cal if then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxpassion
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine awk statements

I have an awk statement that works but I am calling awk twice and I know there has to be a way to combine the two statements into one. The purpose is to pull out just the ip address from loopback1. cat config.txt | nawk 'BEGIN {FS="\n"}{RS="!"}{if ( $0 ~ "interface loopback1" ) print$4}' | nawk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Struggling to combine two Greps statements

Greetings! I have been tasked to create a report off files we receive from our hardware suppliers. I need to grep these files for two fields 'Test_Version' and 'Model-Manufacturer' ; for each field, I need to capture their corresponding values. When running each statement separately, I get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

simplify/combine if statements would be nice

below is something i inherited: if && && ; then HOST_SELECT="-m quadcore" fi if && && ; then HOST_SELECT="-m quadcore" fi if && && ; then HOST_SELECT="-m octocore1" fibelow is what i changed it to: if && && ; then HOST_SELECT="-m quadcore"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine two awk statements into one

Hi, I have the following two awk statements which I'd like to consolidate into one by piping the output from the first into the second awk statement (rather than having to write kat.txt out to a file and then reading back in). awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS=" "} {printf("%s ", $2);for (x=7; x<=10;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasan0
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine 4 awk pattern count statements into 1

Hello fellow awkers, I am trying to combine the following awk statements into 1 so that the results are more accurate: awk '/\=\+/ { count++ } END { print count}' filename awk '/\=\?/ { count++ } END { print count}' filename awk '/\=\-/ { count++ } END { print count}' filename awk... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl combine multiple map statements

I have a file like file. file.TODAY.THISYEAR file.TODAY.LASTYEARI want to substitute the words in caps with their actual values so that output should look like file.140805 file.140805.2014 file.140805.2013For this I am reading the file line bye line in an array and using multiple map... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
1 Replies
DATETIME.CREATEFROMFORMAT(3)						 1					      DATETIME.CREATEFROMFORMAT(3)

DateTime::createFromFormat - Returns new DateTime object formatted according to the specified format

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
publicstatic DateTime DateTime::createFromFormat (string $format, string $time, [DateTimeZone $timezone]) DESCRIPTION
Procedural style DateTime date_create_from_format (string $format, string $time, [DateTimeZone $timezone]) Returns new DateTime object formatted according to the specified format. PARAMETERS
o $format - The format that the passed in string should be in. See the formatting options below. In most cases, the same letters as for the date(3) can be used. The following characters are recognized in the $format parameter string +--------------------------+--------------------------------------+---+ | $format character | | | | | | | | | Description | | | | | | | | Example parsable values | | | | | | +--------------------------+--------------------------------------+---+ | | | | | Day | | | | | | | | | --- | | | | | | | | --- | | | | | | | | | | | d and j | | | | | | | | | Day of the month, 2 digits with or | | | | without leading zeros | | | | | | | | | | | | 01 to 31 or 1 to 31 | | | | | | | | | | | D and l | | | | | | | | | A textual representation of a day | | | | | | | | | | | | Mon through Sun or Sunday through | | | | Saturday | | | | | | | | | | | S | | | | | | | | | English ordinal suffix for the day | | | | of the month, 2 characters. It's | | | | ignored while processing. | | | | | | | | | | | | st, nd, rd or th. | | | | | | | | | | | z | | | | | | | | | The day of the year (starting from | | | | 0) | | | | | | | | | | | | 0 through 365 | | | | | | | | | | | Month | | | | | | | | | --- | | | | | | | | --- | | | | | | | | | | | F and M | | | | | | | | | A textual representation of a month, | | | | such as January or Sept | | | | | | | | | | | | January through December or Jan | | | | through Dec | | | | | | | | | | | m and n | | | | | | | | | Numeric representation of a month, | | | | with or without leading zeros | | | | | | | | | | | | 01 through 12 or 1 through 12 | | | | | | | | | | | Year | | | | | | | | | --- | | | | | | | | --- | | | | | | | | | | | Y | | | | | | | | | A full numeric representation of a | | | | year, 4 digits | | | | | | | | Examples: 1999 or 2003 | | | | | | | | | | | y | | | | | | | | | A two digit representation of a | | | | year (which is assumed to be in the | | | | range 1970-2069, inclusive) | | | | | | | | Examples: 99 or 03 (which will be | | | | interpreted as 1999 and 2003, | | | | respectively) | | | | | | | | | | | Time | | | | | | | | | --- | | | | | | | | --- | | | | | | | | | | | a and A | | | | | | | | | Ante meridiem and Post meridiem | | | | | | | | | | | | am or pm | | | | | | | | | | | g and h | | | | | | | | | 12-hour format of an hour with or | | | | without leading zero | | | | | | | | | | | | 1 through 12 or 01 through 12 | | | | | | | | | | | G and H | | | | | | | | | 24-hour format of an hour with or | | | | without leading zeros | | | | | | | | | | | | 0 through 23 or 00 through 23 | | | | | | | | | | | i | | | | | | | | | Minutes with leading zeros | | | | | | | | | | | | 00 to 59 | | | | | | | | | | | s | | | | | | | | | Seconds, with leading zeros | | | | | | | | | | | | 00 through 59 | | | | | | | | | | | u | | | | | | | | | Microseconds (up to six digits) | | | | | | | | Example: 45, 654321 | | | | | | | | | | | Timezone | | | | | | | | | --- | | | | | | | | --- | | | | | | | | | | | e, O, P and T | | | | | | | | | Timezone identifier, or difference | | | | to UTC in hours, or difference to | | | | UTC with colon between hours and | | | | minutes, or timezone abbreviation | | | | | | | | Examples: UTC, GMT, Atlantic/Azores | | | | or +0200 or +02:00 or EST, MDT | | | | | | | | | | | Full Date/Time | | | | | | | | | --- | | | | | | | | --- | | | | | | | | | | | U | | | | | | | | | Seconds since the Unix Epoch (Janu- | | | | ary 1 1970 00:00:00 GMT) | | | | | | | | Example: 1292177455 | | | | | | | | | | |Whitespace and Separators | | | | | | | | | --- | | | | | | | | --- | | | | | | | | | | | (space) | | | | | | | | | One space or one tab | | | | | | | | Example: | | | | | | | | | | | # | | | | | | | | | One of the following separation | | | | symbol: ;, :, /, ., ,, -, ( or ) | | | | | | | | Example: / | | | | | | | | | | |;, :, /, ., ,, -, ( or ) | | | | | | | | | The specified character. | | | | | | | | Example: - | | | | | | | | | | | ? | | | | | | | | | A random byte | | | | | | | | Example: ^ (Be aware that for UTF-8 | | | | characters you might need more than | | | | one ?. In this case, using * is | | | | probably what you want instead) | | | | | | | | | | | * | | | | | | | | | Random bytes until the next separa- | | | | tor or digit | | | | | | | | Example: * in Y-*-d with the string | | | | 2009-aWord-08 will match aWord | | | | | | | | | | | ! | | | | | | | | | Resets all fields (year, month, day, | | | | hour, minute, second, fraction and | | | | timzone information) to the Unix | | | | Epoch | | | | | | | | Without !, all fields will be set to | | | | the current date and time. | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | Resets all fields (year, month, day, | | | | hour, minute, second, fraction and | | | | timzone information) to the Unix | | | | Epoch if they have not been parsed | | | | yet | | | | | | | | | | | | Y-m-d| will set the year, month and | | | | day to the information found in the | | | | string to parse, and sets the hour, | | | | minute and second to 0. | | | | | | | | | | | + | | | | | | | | | If this format specifier is present, | | | | trailing data in the string will not | | | | cause an error, but a warning | | | | instead | | | | | | | | Use DateTime::getLastErrors to find | | | | out whether trailing data was | | | | present. | | | | | | +--------------------------+--------------------------------------+---+ Unrecognized characters in the format string will cause the parsing to fail and an error message is appended to the returned struc- ture. You can query error messages with DateTime::getLastErrors. If $format does not contain the character ! then portions of the generated time which are not specified in $format will be set to the current system time. If $format contains the character !, then portions of the generated time not provided in $format, as well as values to the left-hand side of the !, will be set to correspond- ing values from the Unix epoch. The Unix epoch is 1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC. o $time - String representing the time. o $timezone - A DateTimeZone object representing the desired time zone. If $timezone is omitted and $time contains no timezone, the current timezone will be used. Note The $timezone parameter and the current timezone are ignored when the $time parameter either contains a UNIX timestamp (e.g. 946684800) or specifies a timezone (e.g. 2010-01-28T15:00:00+02:00). RETURN VALUES
Returns a new DateTime instance or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 DateTime.createFromFormat(3) example Object oriented style <?php $date = DateTime::createFromFormat('j-M-Y', '15-Feb-2009'); echo $date->format('Y-m-d'); ?> Procedural style <?php $date = date_create_from_format('j-M-Y', '15-Feb-2009'); echo date_format($date, 'Y-m-d'); ?> The above examples will output: 2009-02-15 Example #2 Intricacies of DateTime.createFromFormat(3) <?php echo 'Current time: ' . date('Y-m-d H:i:s') . " "; $format = 'Y-m-d'; $date = DateTime::createFromFormat($format, '2009-02-15'); echo "Format: $format; " . $date->format('Y-m-d H:i:s') . " "; $format = 'Y-m-d H:i:s'; $date = DateTime::createFromFormat($format, '2009-02-15 15:16:17'); echo "Format: $format; " . $date->format('Y-m-d H:i:s') . " "; $format = 'Y-m-!d H:i:s'; $date = DateTime::createFromFormat($format, '2009-02-15 15:16:17'); echo "Format: $format; " . $date->format('Y-m-d H:i:s') . " "; $format = '!d'; $date = DateTime::createFromFormat($format, '15'); echo "Format: $format; " . $date->format('Y-m-d H:i:s') . " "; ?> The above example will output something similar to: Current time: 2010-04-23 10:29:35 Format: Y-m-d; 2009-02-15 10:29:35 Format: Y-m-d H:i:s; 2009-02-15 15:16:17 Format: Y-m-!d H:i:s; 1970-01-15 15:16:17 Format: !d; 1970-01-15 00:00:00 SEE ALSO
DateTime.__construct(3), DateTime.getLastErrors(3), checkdate(3), strptime(3). PHP Documentation Group DATETIME.CREATEFROMFORMAT(3)