Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: length of a variable!
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting length of a variable! Post 302263094 by Christoph Spohr on Sunday 30th of November 2008 04:34:54 PM
Old 11-30-2008
Code:
expr length string

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Length of a variable

Hi, I have another question, I am very new to scripting. I am using c shell. I am trying to get the length of a variable. Right now I am using set var = 12 echo $#var but the # operator isn't working, it is telling me that the length is 1 when it is obviously two.... help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karyn1617
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help need to find the length of a variable

Hi frnds, i have a file which contains multiple lines. each line size may come around 64MB. and i want to read line by line and nee to find the length of each line, at present am doing it in the following way, while read LINE do len=`expr length "$LINE"` # and using the variable... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smr_rashmy
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make variable length record a fixed length

Very, very new to unix scripting and have a unique situation. I have a file of records that contain 3 records types: (H)eader Records (D)etail Records (T)railer Records The Detail records are 82 bytes in length which is perfect. The Header and Trailer records sometimes are 82 bytes in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split variable length and variable format CSV file

Dear all, I have basic knowledge of Unix script and her I am trying to process variable length and variable format CSV file. The file length will depend on the numbers of Earnings/Deductions/Direct Deposits. And The format will depend on whether it is Earnings/Deductions or Direct Deposits... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chechun
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing a variable length text to a fixed length

Hi, Can anyone help with a effective solution ? I need to change a variable length text field (between 1 - 18 characters) to a fixed length text of 18 characters with the unused portion, at the end, filled with spaces. The text field is actually field 10 of a .csv file however I could cut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dc18
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable length

Hi All, I have an issue in my script. Once we fired the script, it will ask for some input to execute further. Inside the script, I'm taking that value into a variable. But it's taking some limited length of input only in a variable. After some limited length, it's not taking the value. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert variable length record to fixed length

Hi Team, I have an issue to split the file which is having special chracter(German Char) using awk command. I have a different length records in a file. I am separating the files based on the length using awk command. The command is working fine if the record is not having any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthuvan
7 Replies
XtVaGetApplicationResources()											     XtVaGetApplicationResources()

Name
  XtVaGetApplicationResources - retrieve resources for the overall application using varargs argument style.

Synopsis
  void XtVaGetApplicationResources(object, base, resources, num_resources, ..., NULL)
	   Widget object;
	   XtPointer base;
	   XtResourceList resources;
	   Cardinal num_resources;

Inputs
  object    Specifies  the  object that identifies the resource database to search (the database is that associated with the display for this
	    object); may be of class Object or any subclass thereof.

base	    Specifies the address of structure into which the resources will be written.

resources Specifies the resource list for the subpart.

num_resources
	    Specifies the number of resources in the resource list.

..., NULL A NULL-terminated variable-length list of resource name/value pairs to override any other resource specifications.

Availability
  Release 4 and later.

Description
  XtVaGetApplicationResources() obtains values for the resources described by resources, from the variable-length argument list, the resource
  database,  or  from the default values associated with each resource, and stores these values into the structure pointed to by base.	It is
  identical to XtGetApplicationResources() except that the args array of resource names and values and the num_args argument of that function
  are replaced with a NULL-terminated variable-length argument list.

See  XtGetApplicationResources()  for more information on this function.  See XtVaSetValues() for more information on using variable-length
  argument lists to specify resources.

See Also
  XtGetApplicationResources(1), XtVaGetSubresources(1), XtVaSetValues(1).

Xt - Resource Management											     XtVaGetApplicationResources()