Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Brute force SMTP attack right now *help* Post 302263054 by research3 on Sunday 30th of November 2008 01:33:34 PM
Old 11-30-2008
You can try to install denyhosts.
The tool check the auth.log and drop the session from the source IP.
If the source IP tried more then 3 failed login.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Apache brute force attack

Hi, I'm trying find out if there is a way to stop a brute force attack on a Webmail site. I'm trying to setup a webmail access, but I would like to prevent too many invalid logins from the same IP. I've looked into Snort, but I was wondering if there was an application level firewall that can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitin
1 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

What I think is a DoS attack

About 3 days ago our Apache logs started filling with the following errors: mod_ssl: SSL handshake failed (server <weberver>:443, client 41.235.234.172) (OpenSSL library error follows) OpenSSL: error:1408A0B7:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:no ciphers specified These initially were... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccj4467
1 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Found attack from

Hi, I have a belkin router installed and a look at the security log has got me worried a little bit. Security log: Fri Jan 29 20:41:46 2010 =>Found attack from 68.147.232.199. Source port is 58591 and destination port is 12426 which use the TCP protocol. Fri Jan 29 20:41:46 2010 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jld
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Network attack - so what?

In my logs I find entries about attacks on my system. I know IP addresses, I know date and time and I know what they tried to do. So what's the best I can do now? Tell everybody that there are cybercriminals on that network? Write an email to their admin? Anything else? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Action
10 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

UUCP attack?

Is this an attack attempt? I got an e-mail from 'uucp Admin' last night and again this morning: What does it mean and what can I do about it? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctafret
4 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

DDoS and brute force attack

How to protect DDoS and brute force attack. I want to secure my server and block attacker. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: romanepo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script that simulates a SSH brute force attack

I want to test the effectiveness of sshguard on some of my systems so I'm trying to write a script that simulates a brute force attack by sending a bunch of different username and password combinations to the servers being tested. So far I have this: #!/usr/local/bin/expect set timeout 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ph0enix
5 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

DDOS attack please help!

Dear community, my site was recently attacjed by DDOS technique and goes down in a few minutes. My site runs under Debian/Apache2/Mysql. I identified the IPs who attack me and block it through iptable firewall from debian. Something like: iptables -D INPUT -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -j DROP This... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
7 Replies
Authen::Simple::SMTP(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Authen::Simple::SMTP(3pm)

NAME
Authen::Simple::SMTP - Simple SMTP authentication SYNOPSIS
use Authen::Simple::SMTP; my $smtp = Authen::Simple::FTP->new( host => 'smtp.company.com' ); if ( $smtp->authenticate( $username, $password ) ) { # successfull authentication } # or as a mod_perl Authen handler PerlModule Authen::Simple::Apache PerlModule Authen::Simple::SMTP PerlSetVar AuthenSimpleSMTP_host "smtp.company.com" <Location /protected> PerlAuthenHandler Authen::Simple::SMTP AuthType Basic AuthName "Protected Area" Require valid-user </Location> DESCRIPTION
Authenticate against a SMTP service. METHODS
* new This method takes a hash of parameters. The following options are valid: * host Connection host, can be a hostname or IP number. Defaults to "localhost". host => 'ftp.company.com' host => '10.0.0.1' * port Connection port, default to 25. port => 25 * timeout Connection timeout, defaults to 60. timeout => 60 * log Any object that supports "debug", "info", "error" and "warn". log => Log::Log4perl->get_logger('Authen::Simple::SMTP') * authenticate( $username, $password ) Returns true on success and false on failure. SEE ALSO
Authen::Simple. Net::SMTP. AUTHOR
Christian Hansen "ch@ngmedia.com" COPYRIGHT
This program is free software, you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.8 2008-03-01 Authen::Simple::SMTP(3pm)