Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Depending upon character at particular position, string needs to be appended Post 302262977 by vaka on Sunday 30th of November 2008 01:35:02 AM
Old 11-30-2008
Thanks Franklin, it gives what I have requested. I need to add extra logic.
Any line which doesn't have J or R or S, at 7th position, I need to get the length lenght first and appliy logic based on lenght.

my present code which performs line by line in a loop: len=`cat firstline.txt | cut -c39-58 | tr -d ' ' | wc -m`

if len eq 9 append prakash at the end of the line followed by empty spaces as above code does..
else if lengh eq 16 append Dan at the end of the line followed by empty spaces till 256 as above code does...
else if lenth -ne 9 && length -ne 16 append Shelly at the end of the line followed by empty spaces till 256 as above code does...
-----------------
Right now I am doing line by line so there is huge performence hit.. so trying to apply the logic for all lines at once
----------------

Franklin plz help me out in giving the above logic in awk or sed....

Regards,
Jaya

Last edited by vaka; 11-30-2008 at 02:47 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add character in specific position of a string?

Hi All, I would like to use sed to add "-" between the following string: Value: 20060830 Result: 2006-08-30 Pls advice. Thx a lot Victor (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorlung
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string B depending on occurence of string A

Depending upon the occurence of string 'xyz', I want to remove -t from the input file. There is not a fixed length input file. Any suggestions Input file: this is xyz line -t of the data this is line 2 of -t of the data xyz this is line 3 of -t the file this is line xyz of the -t file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a position and print some string in the next and same position

I need a script for... how to find a position of column data and print some string in the next line and same position position should find based on *HEADER8* in text for ex: ord123 abs 123 987HEADER89 test234 ord124 abc 124 987HEADER88 test235 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveenkcl
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Junk Character appended at the end of a line

Hi All I have a rather unusual problem, which i have not faced till now. I have a script which exports some paths to a text file. The script runs fine but when i check the output file i can see some junk characters ^M appended at end of lines and random places. I am not able to figure... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace character in certain position in a string

Hello everyone this is my first post of many to come :) I am writing a script and in this script at one point i need to replace a character in a particular position in a string for example: in the string "mystery" i would need to replace the 3rd position to an "r" so the string becomes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snipaa
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract the certain position's character in a string

Suppose there are two files: A, format is like: line1 12 line2 33 line3 6 ... B, format is like: >header taaccctaaccctaaccctaacccaaccccaccccaaccccaaccccaac ccaaccctaaccctaaccctaacccaaccctaaccctaaccctaacccaa ccctcaccctcaccctcaccctcaccctcaccctcaccctcaccctaacc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bioinflix
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT!!!move character x of input string to some position

i have this prob I have some records in a file1 like this 1001 sajal singh tampa 1002 .... so on i have a pattern file which is like this 1,4 4,13 14,15 i have to read the first pair 1,4 and extract that from the first record so the pattern is 1001 now i have to scramble 1001... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spankincubus
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find nth position of character in string

Hi guyz i want to know nth position of character in string. For ex. var="UK,TK,HK,IND,AUS" now if we see 1st occurance of , is at 3 position, 2nd at 6,..4th at 13 position. 1st position we can find through INDEX, but what about 2nd,3rd and 4th or may be upto nth position. ? In oracle we had... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jonty Immortal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies
TIME.CONF(5)							 Linux-PAM Manual						      TIME.CONF(5)

NAME
time.conf - configuration file for the pam_time module DESCRIPTION
The pam_time PAM module does not authenticate the user, but instead it restricts access to a system and or specific applications at various times of the day and on specific days or over various terminal lines. This module can be configured to deny access to (individual) users based on their name, the time of day, the day of week, the service they are applying for and their terminal from which they are making their request. For this module to function correctly there must be a correctly formatted /etc/security/time.conf file present. White spaces are ignored and lines maybe extended with '' (escaped newlines). Text following a '#' is ignored to the end of the line. The syntax of the lines is as follows: services;ttys;users;times In words, each rule occupies a line, terminated with a newline or the beginning of a comment; a '#'. It contains four fields separated with semicolons, ';'. The first field, the services field, is a logic list of PAM service names that the rule applies to. The second field, the tty field, is a logic list of terminal names that this rule applies to. The third field, the users field, is a logic list of users or a netgroup of users to whom this rule applies. For these items the simple wildcard '*' may be used only once. With netgroups no wildcards or logic operators are allowed. The times field is used to indicate the times at which this rule applies. The format here is a logic list of day/time-range entries. The days are specified by a sequence of two character entries, MoTuSa for example is Monday Tuesday and Saturday. Note that repeated days are unset MoMo = no day, and MoWk = all weekdays bar Monday. The two character combinations accepted are Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su Wk Wd Al, the last two being week-end days and all 7 days of the week respectively. As a final example, AlFr means all days except Friday. Each day/time-range can be prefixed with a '!' to indicate "anything but". The time-range part is two 24-hour times HHMM, separated by a hyphen, indicating the start and finish time (if the finish time is smaller than the start time it is deemed to apply on the following day). For a rule to be active, ALL of service+ttys+users must be satisfied by the applying process. Note, currently there is no daemon enforcing the end of a session. This needs to be remedied. Poorly formatted rules are logged as errors using syslog(3). EXAMPLES
These are some example lines which might be specified in /etc/security/time.conf. All users except for root are denied access to console-login at all times: login ; tty* & !ttyp* ; !root ; !Al0000-2400 Games (configured to use PAM) are only to be accessed out of working hours. This rule does not apply to the user waster: games ; * ; !waster ; Wd0000-2400 | Wk1800-0800 SEE ALSO
pam_time(8), pam.d(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
pam_time was written by Andrew G. Morgan <morgan@kernel.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 TIME.CONF(5)