Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Incrementing a variable is not happening Post 302262676 by kiranlalka on Friday 28th of November 2008 10:21:18 AM
Old 11-28-2008
Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
Needs backticks not quotes. Also, lose the semicolons.
Thanks Methyl.. It worked... BTW, Iam new to shell scripting

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Ping is happening, telnet is not happening

HI all, Ping is happening to a AIX box...but telnet is not happening... AIX box doesn't have any conslole... Please help how to resolve it. Thanks in advance .. Manu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: b_manu78
2 Replies

2. Linux

Incrementing the date stored in the variable

Hi all, I have a variable with date as 20080831 . Now I want to increment it as 20080901 and so on.Is there any command for this. Please help me. thanks rameez (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rameezrajas
1 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Incrementing Variable resets outside of while loop

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Variable is resetting to 0 after incrementing in while loop My bit of scripting displays the current users logged in the machine. Then it reads in a specific username and displays the processes for that user. The portion that I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratzlaff
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing problem in incrementing the variable

When I did, echo $SHELL in cmd prompt of putty, its displaying /bin/sh And in my shell script., I hav started with., #!/bin/sh and i=1; while ; do . . . i=$; (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: av_vinay
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Incrementing Variable Names

Hi, I am using BASH. I have encountered a situation where the following is necessary (but I am not sure how to do it): #Define multiple arrays, whose names only differ by a number: ARRAY_1=(1 2 3) ARRAY_2=(4 5 6) ARRAY_3=(7 8 9) #Define ARRAY_AMOUNT, the number of arrays. In this case... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Incrementing variable in for

Hi, want to increment a variable in a for loop like this: for (( c=$total-1; c>=0; c-- )) do if ; then maximo=$valores fi done But it gives the error: No such file or directory How can i do this only incrementing the c variable? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: limadario
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

incrementing the variable name along with the data?

Hello folks. I am trying to increment my variable names to match a counter that is to be used later on... Basically, i have a for loop that lists directories (for example TEST_OS DVP_OS PROD_OS ) but this loop is not static, it may contain 3 directory once and the next run 5 directories. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
6 Replies

8. Fedora

Leap second happening

Have anybody heard about the Leap second problem Leap second :A leap second is a one-second adjustment that is occasionally applied to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) in order to keep its time of day close to the mean solar time. How could i avoid such thing in my script which i deal with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wnaguib
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing specific and incrementing lines of text from file via variable

This is part of a larger script where I need to pass only 1 line of a file to the script, based on a variable and not a direct reference. As part of a for loop : # for((line=0;line<50;line++)); do # awk ‘NR==$line' PhraseList.txt; done ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seth
5 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)